Input asap- Necropsy report is in 12/5/11 Pg 6

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peggy - as you probably know, weather can play a huge role in colic. Something about the pressure changes. I know I always watch the horses like a hawk when a front moves through. You did all you could - no one could have loved Saturn more.

I am so, so sorry for your loss...
default_no.gif
Only time can heal your broken heart... know that there are many of us who have gone through this loss, and we all support you and are thinking of you during this difficult time.

I'm so sorry...

Liz N.

Thank you for letting us know your findings. I know it doesn't take away the pain, but at least you know there was nothing short of surgery that could have been done ( which is about 50/50 outcome).

I am stll deeply sorry to hear about your loss.

Peggy I am so very sorry that you lost your precious Saturn. I know the special care that all of your horses receive. Sometimes things are just beyond our control and there isn't a thing we can do. Big Hugs to you! (((( ))))

Saturn's necropsy showed a twisted gut. He apparently coliced in the night and rolled. We never saw him roll once. Vets said nothing could have been done at home - he would have had to go to an equine hospital several hours away for surgery. Of course, we were snowed in. Vet office made a hoof imprint in clay for me - I thought it was a nice gesture.

Miss you, Saturn.
Sorry for your loss, I hope the knowledge of what happened can help to temper your pain.

It is a myth that horses colic then roll to 'twist a gut'. Instead the intestine becomes 'kinked' somehow and that leads to all of the signs you see. Colics, generally, do not get worse during the course of the condition. They start at what they are. Research has been done to try to figure out how these things occur and other than to say parasites and changes in husbandry increase the odds of occurrence, we don't really now the cause.

I put 'twisted gut and kinked' in parentheses because these words are not very descriptive of what happens. Instead, intusseception, rent, volvulus, etc... are far better terms, but as they are not as well understood by owners then Vets just go back to 'twist'.

Dr Taylor

The vet used his 'official' terms, but somehow the intestine had flipped. I guess we will never know why or how, exactly.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your wonderful horse Saturn. I can totally relate to your situation unfortunately as this is how we lost one of our most prized herd sires a few years ago. When I left him in his stall that night he was happily munching his hay and the next morning, when I went in to feed him, he was in full blown colic and in extreme distress. Within a few minutes of discovery, we immediately rushed him to the vet - Sometime during the night his intestine became 'kinked' or 'twisted' as described by Dr. Taylor and by the time we made it to the vet to prepare him for surgery his intestine had already ruptured.

Its terrible to lose a horse like that. So suddenly...I lost my 18 year old Thoroughbred mare last year, she had bone problems. She broke her front leg as she stood up from sleeping, she loved sleeping laying down.

If you can cut a little of his mane off and braid it up. You will always have a little bit of him with you and the memories.

Im really sorry you lost your baby boy. I still havent gotten over losing my mare, they leave hoofprints on your heart.

I'm so sorry, Peggy
default_sad.png

That is how I lost my little leopard filly in my avatar. She was fine the night before and by morning she was lying there dead. My vet did a necropsy and found a twisted gut. She appeared to have lain down and never rolled at all.

He told me sometimes it can happen that fast.

Susan O.

I'm so sorry for your loss! If you ever need anybody, we're all here for you! Its hard to lose a best friend, whether it may be a horse or a person. Alot of people don't realize the delicate bond between an owner and their horse.
default_no.gif

Oh no! I am so sorry- tons of hugs for you!

You guys have been so sweet- thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The vet office made a hoofprint plaque for me with Saturn's hoofprint. It is made in clay. They also cut some mane off and braided it for me.
default_smile.png

So sorry for the loss of your mom and your horse. My heart goes out to you at this extemely sad time.

I knew it was a twisted gut from your first post. We lost a filly that way once. I'm SO sorry!!!
default_crybaby.gif

I've been off line due to my computer being in the shop but looked for your thread. {{{hugs}}}

Im so so sorry , to lose your mum and your friend so close to each other must be devastating , Im sure they will be taking care off each other and watching over you X

Latest posts

Back