Input asap- Necropsy report is in 12/5/11 Pg 6

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
I would appreciate input frpom anyone regarding the situation I am having with one of my horses-

fine last night, this am he was in obvious pain- no appetite, slow walking, no drinking

He appparently stood out last night in a snowstorm - he always goes in the barn, but not last night

Started sand clear last night for this month (as usual)

I have oiled him, given pain meds with gastro gard, activated charcoal, pedialyte, calcium, on and on as per vet suggestion

We are snowed in and I can't get him to a vet- it looks like I may lose him.

Colic? Blister Beetle?

He is wobbly, breathing hard, his sides are pulsating hard. I wondered about thumps- vet has had me give a bolus of calcium. Now he is bloated-oil has not come out. Going to give an enema now. ANy suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry and am afraid I can't help much. Have you taken his temp? Do you think a blanket would help at all??

Can you get water/liquid into him somehow?? With a dosing syringe?? Sounds like you are at least in contact with a vet.

Hope you can help your boy!!!

It sounds like a twisted intestine, or at least like a filly we lost due to one.
default_sad.png

Enemas never hurt!

When my mare gets gas colic and blows up like a balloon, I fill her full of enemas. Then she expells a bunch of gas and I give her a bunch more. You can see her sides go down as she blows out the gas with the water. When she gets gas, she doesn't mess around!

Giving him a bunch (I give 10 at a time) wouldn't hurt and might help.

I hope you can get him through this Peggy!

Sounds like an impaction or twisted intestine, since he has passed no oil & is bloating--the hard breathing & pulsating sides would go along with the pain of that. If the colic pains started in the night, that would account for his standing out in the storm, the discomfort would make him oblivious to the miserable weather

Thumps--if it were that you would have little doubt; you can actually hear the THUMP noise and see the body jerk with the force of the contraction of the diaphram.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can in the circumstances and I really have no additional suggestions--just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, and especially on a day when you're snowed in & cannot get to a vet.

Sorry I have no advice to offer, but know and understand how frustrating it can be to be in your shoes. Sending prayers that your boy will pull through.
default_pray.gif

If he hasn't eaten for a bit, get some Karo syrup in him. I had one get hyperlipidemia from going off his feed slightly while he was fighting a virus. Use a syringe.

Is it Nick?

Keep us updated. Do you have any banamine? Do you have a stethescope? If so, what kind of sounds and where are you hearing them. Check his gums. Check his temp again, get some kayro syrup in him and syringe water too. Hope he pulls thru for you

sorry to here about your guy, first thought he may have been sore due to shivering but, like he tied up or something but not with the bloating and stuff he might have been standing in the storm because of a fever, sounds more like a colic like or impaction like others are saying, hope that the vet can make it through quick, and please if you get a moment in between checks and phone calls please keep us posted! sending prayers your way
default_pray.gif

I am not a vet but I would do everything I could to get as much fluid into him as possible. Do you have any flavorings to add to warm water? Ask your vet if it would be ok to add sugar or molasses or something to warm water and get him to drink! And then walking walking and more walking!! I am assuming you cannot take him for a ride in the trailer but sometimes I have been known to walk for awhile and then load them up as if we were going somewhere, then walk and walk some more. I had a filly that the vet oiled gave fliuds to and she was not getting better, because of her belly he was pretty sure she would need surgery at A&M which I couldnt afford at the time. I walked that girl for 8 hours. The first three hours involved me pulling her about 4 steps and her falling over(falling hard sideways right onto her side) then getting her back up for a couple more steps. It was horribly hard but I knew I couldnt just let her lay there and die. I am sure I couldnt have done it if I hadnt had my neighbors help. After couple hours realized we were having to get her up less and less. She did make a full recovery without surgery and I still have her ten years later. I understand it will not work in all casses but if you cannot get him to the vet then my guess would be banamine, liqiuds, and WALKING.

I will be
default_pray.gif
for you both.

He is now in shock. He has a blanket on and a KalGlo heater. Vet still thinks BLister Beetles.

I am just so sad-

Two weeks ago my mother died and now special buddy is on the verge.

He does respond some to boluses of calcium. So, we are going to give that through the night.

He has had a little to drink today. I am also giving him Pedialyte. He is having trouble swallowing.

We will be on the road as soon as we can in the morning, provided he is still alive.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming
default_smile.png

Val- it is not Nick, it is my gelding, Saturn.

I have never seen blister beetle poisoning. I was assuming impaction or twisted gut because the oil never passed through. Sorry I didnt realize that would happen with blister beetle pooisoning.

I will continue to
default_pray.gif

Thank you, all, for the prayers and suggestions. We have brought the horse into the kitchen for the night. He is toasty warm and resting. He is still very colicky, but at least has stopped the rhthmic 'pounding' shaking. The calcium bolus has helped with that, it seems. He is still standing and has not gone down. He has a strong will to live - his eyes tell the story. As soon as the roads are clear in the morning, we will be heading to the vet. He is still on pain meds. We also started him on carrafate to help with potential gut pain from blister beetles. I will check on him throughout the night and give him pedialyte for fluids. I pray he makes it til morning, but at least he is acting better for the time being.

We believe in the power of prayer. Thank you for your prayers.

Definitely praying for all involved! We almost lost my foal last weekend n through the power of prayer and our awesome God! He gave us a miracle n my little colt pulled through! I'm praying for the same miracle for you! I know how upsetting n stressful it is. It must be so hard especially after losing your mum too... Praying that the roads will be clear in the morning for you all
yes.gif
N that your little man will keep fighting n pull through!!

Prayers coming from me too, hoping that he can hang on and that the roads clear for you.

Peggy I am so sorry to hear you are going through this
default_no.gif
I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers your way
default_pray.gif

Joy

oh poor little boy! I am praying that he will get better soon
pray.gif

I am saying prayers for your guy and you. Praying you get to give us good news soon.

Latest posts

Back