I would like to ask a religous ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if this will help, but can sort of see from both perspectives.........please bear with me, this is probably going to be long.......

I was brought up in a very loving family. We attended the Episcopalian church and my mother was extremely devout and was VERY ACTIVE within the parish and insisted we all be actively involved. My older brother was so intensely drawn to the church that he considered becoming a priest or a monk, before he was murdered just prior to his 22nd birthday. I was 15, just about to turn 16 at the time.....

I have to say that our family's faith held us and kept us close together. And I thank God - LITERALLY for that. Attending church and having the support of the priest and members of the congregation was wonderful. I will never forget that. It was also partly responsible for helping my father (who had been an agnostic up until then) admit that there WAS something more.....there WAS a Life after Death.......and he agreed to be Baptized as a Christian.

However, the other things that happened that year - plus what followed, was an eye-openner. There is no way I can share with you EVERYTHING or this would be a NOVEL. But my mother, my younger brother, a close family friend, and I -- ALL received actual visits and signs from my older brother, Dan, after he passed. I can only speak for my OWN visiits. The others I was not witness to, but have no reason to not believe them because of their content........one in particular was prior to our even knowing of my Dad's Baptism, but Dan knew it was going to happen.

Sadly, the organized church, at that time, felt that our experiences were not acceptable and were evil. Yes, I do know evil. I've experienced it more than once. And it is frightening.

I continued to attend services both at my family church and also the Roman Catholic church where my new husband had been brought up. (We were married with the blessing of BOTH churches at that time and with FOUR PRIESTS to bless us! LOL! )

I know I'm laying my spleen out on the line here........and this is getting very long. But I want you all to understand where I'm coming from. It was not an easy choice because it went against all that I was raised with.

But in the end, because of my (and my family's) "Spiritual" experiences.....and I do continue to have them......I was labelled, according to the local priest in this area now, I am going to go to H*ll.

I do not accept what that priest says......for several reasons -- The first is, he is a Human Being with probably as many faults as I have, so how can he judge? -- Also, I have researched the ORIGINAL SCRIPTURES, probably more than many. And more importantly, I know what is in MY HEART.

And therein lies THE TRUTH.... I know that God in the end knows what is in MY HEART and how I have lived my life the best that I've known how........and that is all that matters. Period.

Sorry for all that......because the important part of my post is summed up in that one last paragraph. Guess I just wanted to show you how I got to that simple truth.........It's taken me almost a half century
default_smile.png

And that's how I've lost(?) and found my faith.....going back to answer the orignal post.
default_yes.gif
:

MA

MA, your perception, your understanding and awakening to what is right for you is what is right for every person on this planet. It is YOURS. No ONE person can tell you what it is.

It would be like me telling you what color horses you have to raise (for a trite example) because I like that color, or I think it will sell well, etc. Or telling you that you need to read such and such books and watch certain movies and only those.

I think what is clear to me is that the strongest people with the most "tested" faith tend to be those that have this individual, accepting and open-minded approach.

I have done a lot of research (superficially) into several types of religions' beliefs and though I find that many agree with most of what I believe and know, there is nothing that covers it all and the basic core is that there is no one single "god". God, as we may perceive him, or want to perceive him (or her), is us. Our collective conscience, and there is no single being that takes this place.

I know that I could go on and on, but MA's story saddens me because these are the things that turn such a wonderful concept (to gather together for betterment and enlightenment of the spirit, and comfort) into an ugly and condemning one. It can't be so that someone would go somewhere as awful as what He*ll is described as for such innocence and comfort in feeling their lost loved ones' presence post-death.

Thanks for sharing your story, and all of you for sharing your beliefs. If you look, there are common threads and this is similar to where we stand on the subject that brought us "here" in the first place: Miniature Horses. *LOL*

Liz

Carla,

I did PM you,but here is another story. We are christian first and foremost. We do go to a Baptist church for the feeding of Gods Word, and even teach ourselves. WE get worn out, frustrated, and in the motion sometimes. But, this is what completely changed our lives, and this is different than the PM.

We had some good friends down the road. Nice Christian mom, and 3 children. The husband had no christianity. One day we got the call at 6 AM. He had just murdered Leslie, and 2 of the Children, Nathan (11) and Carmen ( 6). Then he shot a policeman, then himself. The only reason he did not get the older son is because he ran out of the bathroom window, and got to the neighbors.

This story starts many weeks before he killed them:

Last year, I taught Awanas With Leslie. For some reasonthis summer, she decided to order all her supplies for this year, which starts today. So, all her orders are in place, and someone has already taken her position as T N T director. God has his plan in place.

Then, the week before the murders, the oldest son was in church camp all week. All that week, the sermons and talks were about struggles in life, and how to cope. Preacher said he had never in all his years going, heard such powerful messages, and Cullen was responding.

God put Cullen in that place to learn how to be strong, and courageous. And he is. He has a very long road ahead of him, and is taking it in stride.

Then, since preacher was gone, his son came down from seminary to preach that sunday. He did not know that Leslie had filed for divorce that week, she was getting out of that abusive relationship. He also came in and preached on hardships, how to stay strong, and how God will be there for anything . All I see is God leading us to this horrific tragedy. He made sure we were as prepared as we could be.

WE have since become a very close family, and treasure every day. Life is too short, and when we know God is in total control. We practically live at the church, but nothing feels better that going Home, to church. WE have the greatest prayer worriors, and we all consider each other true family. WE are all very close. Our congretation is only about 100 or so, so, we know everyone personally, and get strength from them.

And there is no doubt in my mind God is very real. The only way to salvation is through Jesus Christ. That is plain and clear in the Bible. And we are forgiven for our sins by the blood of Jesus.

I will be praying for your strength, and I will go back and add more today when I get a chance to read all the posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Christian viewpoint, as put by Alicia and others seems gentle and innocuous.

Remember please, although you feel you are saved by the blood of Christ, that I and others do not accept Christ as Saviour and are still saved and are still as close to God as you are.

You have chosen your path to God and I am glad for you.

I have chosen my path to God, and it is as open and as true as yours.

There is no right or wrong path to God, ANY path that leads to God is the right path , and Jesus is NOT the only way to get there, whatever the New Testament says.

To me the Bible, the Q'ran, any Holy book is only ever what a man(Dear God, why did you not talk to a Woman?? We are so very much better at listening as we have so much more practise!!) but these books are what a MAN thought God had meant to say to him. And then they were written down. And copied. And bits were lost. And they were translated.

And, as I read them, occasionally you can see the word of God and then you see great long passages when you can hear the Monks that were transcribing it saying "Oh, NO that cannot be right, I'm sure He NEVER meant for women to be equal to men, we had better change that straight away!!"

And again"Oh, NO we cannot have people believing they can pray to God anywhere, even though it says so, we had better alter that a little so they come to church and give us money"

For how many hundreds of years have the words of the Bible only applied in the way that the Priests and Pastors interpret them?????

The Word of God needs NO interpretation, and I am sorry but I hear the Word of God far more clearly out in my fields, with my horses, watching the seasons change, than I will EVER read in a book translated, altered, lost and edited over three, four thousand years or even more.

And based, at the beginning, on what a MAN thought God had said to him.

Karla I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying and I cannot quite understand how or why??

I am NOT a Christian.

Jesus is NOT the only path to God.

ANY path that leads to God is the right path.

I have NO intention of promoting Christianity since I do not believe in it.

I believe in GOD and I do not need to believe in Jesus to be "saved" in fact, I do not need saving, I am fine as I am.
default_smile.png

If you choose to believe in Jesus as your saviour I am happy for you, I really am.

But please do not expect me to, nor to think that I will not be acceptable in the eyes of God because I do not.

I have a question...and PLEASE don't flame me. I do believe in God and Christ, and would like to consider myself as having a good relationship with both of them. I get very confused when reading the Bible and discussing religion with people, so there is a lot that I don't understand. I was wondering if someone who is Christian can please explain something to me?

In the Bible, it says that when we die, our spirit returns to the Heavens to be with our Father. Am I right so far? It also states that after armagedon, humans will again inheret the earth, to make it beautiful again. I think the Bible calls this the everlasting paradise. Please expalin how this can be. Do we get sent back to earth from the heavens? I know of nowhere, where it says we will inheret the heavens (other than the 144,000 that shall reside by Christ's side).

I am not trying to start any kind of debate, just looking for an explaination. Thank you.

The Bible says in Revelations that there will be a new heaven and new earth, after Armageddon. We will live and reign with Jesus Christ forever. I have a chart here on the end times which helps to explain it all. I will send that to you if you would like to see a copy.

A christian can feed and grow on Gods word when attending church and getting involved in small groups (Bible study) etc. , God`s word says, in Hebrews 10:25, Let us not give up meeting together - let us encourage one another. The Bible also says, the only way to grow in faith, is through feeding on the word "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Many believe there is a God and believe Jesus Christ was His son (so does satan) but --- we must accept the Son to receive the free gift of eternal life with God. Since I accepted Jesus Christ as my savior, my life has changed. I now have such peace within. I have joy, love and hope! I look forward to the day when I get to heaven (HOME) God is Love.

Matthew 5:11-12

I'm new to lil beginnings and I have found everyone's opinions so helpful already. I am really impressed that the subject of religion didnt start a fire here. Good job everyone! Anyway, all I want to say is that when I am feeling like God has abandoned me, I remember the verse in the Bible that says that I am the apple of his eye! I also like to think of when my kids were small and just learning to walk. If they fell, we didnt turn away from them or scold them. We smiled, then lovingly picked them up and let them start again, one step at a time as we guided them. That is what I believe my Father in heaven is doing as I daily choose the path to take. He's always there..and He realizes that this life is hard, He doesnt get mad at us when we have times that we are angry with life or even Him. He patiently waits for us to turn to him. Well, that's my 2 cents. God Bless, looney2n

I have spent a good bit of time reading this thread, as my faith ebbs and flows too. It seems the older I get the more I want to believe
default_smile.png
, or perhaps the more difficult life becomes the more I need faith to see me through. There have been many heartfelt and thoughtful posts, I too am impressed with the sincerity and caring that comes through from everyone - religion can be a hot button so often.

rabbitsfizz's post spoke volumes to me -

You have chosen your path to God and I am glad for you.

I have chosen my path to God, and it is as open and as true as yours.

There is no right or wrong path to God, ANY path that leads to God is the right path , and Jesus is NOT the only way to get there, whatever the New Testament says.

To me the Bible, the Q'ran, any Holy book is only ever what a man(Dear God, why did you not talk to a Woman?? We are so very much better at listening as we have so much more practise!!) but these books are what a MAN thought God had meant to say to him. And then they were written down. And copied. And bits were lost. And they were translated.

And, as I read them, occasionally you can see the word of God and then you see great long passages when you can hear the Monks that were transcribing it saying "Oh, NO that cannot be right, I'm sure He NEVER meant for women to be equal to men, we had better change that straight away!!"

And again"Oh, NO we cannot have people believing they can pray to God anywhere, even though it says so, we had better alter that a little so they come to church and give us money"

For how many hundreds of years have the words of the Bible only applied in the way that the Priests and Pastors interpret them?????

The Word of God needs NO interpretation, and I am sorry but I hear the Word of God far more clearly out in my fields, with my horses, watching the seasons change, than I will EVER read in a book translated, altered, lost and edited over three, four thousand years or even more.

And based, at the beginning, on what a MAN thought God had said to him.
I do believe in God, I try every day to have faith and live accordingly, but I find it impossible to believe that a just God would not ultimately accept us on the basis of how we have lived our lives and treated others. What we name our faith, what language we speak it in, these things should be secondary.

I think organized religion has much to offer - it can be nurturing and supportive, it can be a source of great peace and joy. It also has been the cause of much suffering throughout history, even today. The horrible situation in the middle east, which is spilling out into the rest of the world, has its roots in religious fervor. We may disagree with their beliefs, but they believe just as strongly that "God" has spoken to them and they are justified in doing whatever it takes to impose their beliefs on the world.

Jan

Thank you everyone who answered my question, although it still confuses me some.
default_smile.png
But I guess if we were supposed to know every little detail, there would be no confusion about it and it would explain things in a detailed way.

Christians are all about Love and serving God. The "church" of a Christian can be in their heart (though God says to gather with other Christians for fellowship and encouragement).

Many regligions say, If they don`t agree with us, KILL THEM.

The Bible teaches us that God does accept you, as you are. You are saved by grace, through faith in Jesus Christ. It is not by works so none can boast. It isn`t what you do or how often you go to church but only through Jesus who died for our sins. God loves you and he has givven us the free gift of everlasting life. Eph 2:8-9

Lisa F and others going through rough waters, here is a devotional you might enjoy reading.

For anyone that receives hope and a renewed faith in God from the above posts, Praise God, for bringing you here!

Below is a part of the devotional I received, just today.

Helping others is not an option for those who follow Jesus.

One of the most compelling things about the accounts of Jesus' life in the Gospels is

His compassion for those who were hurting. Jesus loved people. Jesus had a heart

for those who were looking for hope. It does not take a Biblical scholar to understand

that as a child of God, helping others is the main job God has given us to do. The

scriptures are full of exhortations to help those in need, the poor, the widows, the lonely, the hurting.

While the needs of some people are obvious, we are also to be there

for those whose needs may not be as obvious, the spiritually poor.

You see, the spiritually poor are looking for answers to the questions of

life. When the challenges of this life become overwhelming, they are

looking for answers, looking for hope. A person in this state of mind, at

this place in their life is in desperate need of a word from God. Where

does that word come from? From the people God sends into their life,

You and Me!

Many of you today are facing great battles in your life.

Struggles with sin. Struggles on your job or at school. Struggles in your

family relationships, loss of loved ones. Struggles with your finances. Struggles with your

health. Let me share something with you that I learned years ago. It was

at the height of my personal struggles, when my natural tendency was to

focus solely on the battles I was facing, that I would seek out ways to

serve God by helping someone else.

Even though my battles didn't go away, they became more manageable. The

struggles weren't as difficult and answers to my problems came a little

easier. Why? I am convinced the Bible teaches us that if we will be about

our Father's business, He will be about our business. It is a spiritual

principle that works!!!

I want to challenge you today. Pray about who it is, God has put in your

life, who is hurting and needing hope in the midst of a difficult situation.

It may be someone in your family. Possibly a friend. Maybe someone at

church. It could be a person at your work or in your school. God has

strategically placed you in the life of someone today who is hurting and in

need of a word from God.

Once you have prayed and God shows you who it is, reach out to that person.

Have a cup of coffee or a bite to eat with them. Go do something together.

Get that person in a one-on-one situation and let them know they are not

alone in their battle, that they are not alone in whatever they are going

through. You are there to stand with them, to pray with them, and to help

them see victory. Often, it is not necessary to do more than just reach out

in love to that person who is hurting, for them to see and feel the love of

Christ coming from you. I have always said it is usually not what we say,

but what we do that shows the Christ in us to others.

God has given us each other because He never expected us to go through this

journey alone. We are to bear one another's burdens.

Today, reach out to that person God has placed on your heart. Show them the

love of Christ through your actions. Let them know they are not alone, that

someone cares for them. That can be the difference between victory and

defeat in their life, between them living without hope, and moving forward

victoriously over the problems in their life. Never forget, helping others

is not an option, it is what God has called His children to do.

And another ~

Will those who love Jesus and have put their faith and trust in Him continue

to be silent and hide in their "corner" leaving the lost and hurting

to satan and his lies, or will we go boldly, visibly, without shame and

compromise to reach the lost and hurting with His Truth and the hope

and love that is only found in Jesus Christ??? ! We get so distracted by

everything else that we have forgotten our number one job God has called us

to do, and that is to bring the lost, to faith in Jesus Christ.

Bill Keller.

OK, I`m done, I`ll be quiet now
default_smile.png

I'm new to lil beginnings and I have found everyone's opinions so helpful already. I am really impressed that the subject of religion didnt start a fire here. Good job everyone! Anyway, all I want to say is that when I am feeling like God has abandoned me, I remember the verse in the Bible that says that I am the apple of his eye! I also like to think of when my kids were small and just learning to walk. If they fell, we didnt turn away from them or scold them. We smiled, then lovingly picked them up and let them start again, one step at a time as we guided them. That is what I believe my Father in heaven is doing as I daily choose the path to take. He's always there..and He realizes that this life is hard, He doesnt get mad at us when we have times that we are angry with life or even Him. He patiently waits for us to turn to him. Well, that's my 2 cents. God Bless, looney2n

:aktion033: WOW...what a beautiful way to look at it, and how true it is! Thank you!
default_smile.png

The only reason it didnt start a fight this time is because the non christians/ non beleivers have learned to stay out of it or they will get bashed.

I don't feel like I "stayed out of it" as I consider myself non christian and non believer. Maybe I just don't know when I'm being "bashed" but I didn't get that from this.

I just think, for the most part, that if anyone felt they were getting thin-skinned they stepped back and just took a breath before posting again.
default_smile.png

It's a touchy subject, obviously, if you look at the state of the world, and I do believe racial bigotry has its roots in religious prejudice, so I think everyone handled themselves pretty well.

I myself stepped out because I felt like I was repeating myself and the ones that agree with me already do/are, and I'm not trying to change anyone's beliefs, merely have them understand so they can feel better about it, or whatever, because I understand that they are happy with theirs.

I wish the world could be that way about many other life choices as well...it's a diverse world and that's a great thing.

Liz

The only reason it didnt start a fight this time is because the non christians/ non beleivers have learned to stay out of it or they will get bashed.
Actually I do not care if I get bashed because I am firm in my beliefs................I think this time around many chose to temper themselves and try to teach as opposed to preach
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
: sure is nicer listening to teachers sharing wisdom as opposed to dictators imposing beliefs
default_wink.png
:

Oh no, my dear Ashley........that was not very nice.

I am a Christian........And a believer.......and I don't know what you mean.

I would like to think it's because MOST of us know we are all basically good people, love our neighbors, love animals, and that's what is important.

End of subject.

MA

I do not feel I have been bashed.

I do wish the Christians on here would , please, stop reiterating that the only way to God is through Jesus as that quite patently is not true.

Sorry , but Jesus just is NOT the only way, he just happens to be the way for you.

He is NOT the way for me, but I have God as truly and as deeply as do you.

patently is not true

the thing is jane its very much true to them just like your beliefs are true to you
default_smile.png
theres not right or wrong. Just different
default_yes.gif
:

since this has gone so far off topic i think if someone wants to continue the discussion it should have a new thread. I myself love reading everyones thoughts as long as it stays friendly like this one.

In answer to your topic.

I am a Christian and have come to God & Christ my own way.

I was raised in a Christian home but found after leaving home MY life outside of the church was more important to me and more importantly NOT in sync with my 'beliefs' so I abandoned them for as long as I could
default_wink.png
:

Then I felt guilty for my life and could not bring myself to go to church!

Then I realised God would forgive me so I forgave myself and then I didn't care what others might think!

My faith in God is always there but life is a journey. For me there are many ups and downs, I am easily tempted to waiver in my believes but I feel that God never leaves me I just wander off from time to time. When you are ready you will come back, I believe, and God will always welcome you back.

I have found my journey although not always smooth has made me a more open, understanding person who has more empathy for others and can forgive easily! I don't think everyones journey is supposed to be smooth, we are all made different for a reason.

Find peace, don't be harsh on yourself and I think your faith will come back to you.

I was raised to see things in a simple way Right and wrong.....Black and white!

My journey has shown me that this simply is not reality and God knows this too.

I always try to remind myself that "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!" , I don't intend to throw any stones because I know where I live
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Alot of interesting points in thsi topic though!

Btw you have not wiavered too far if you are asking this Q
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
:

I am just wondering if you have ever lost or waivered in your faith? If you have, how did you get it back? I am feeling a little lost and uncertain at the moment when it comes to God. Nothing major has happened to make me feel this way, I do not know know why I feel this way.

I receive a daily scripture sent to me every day and thought I'd share this with you. I also forward them to family and friends who also like to receive them every day. If you would like me to send them to you I'd be more than happy to them to you too, just PM me your e-mail address. I hope this helps some:

Proverbs 31:18

Her lamp does not go out at night………..

2 Samuel 22:29

You are my lamp, O Lord!.......

Keeping the lamp burning, does not mean you have to stay up all night….it is anticipating how much oil it will need,…… taking the time to fill the lamp……. and trimming the wick as to not waste any oil……..we can compare this to our lives in the Lord….who is our lamp…..

In every persons life, there will inevitably come times of darkness…..these night watches are when our soul feels dark with confusion or hurt or depression or defeat…..you’ve experienced them….and so have I……our soul may feel abandoned and lost……..but……we need to keep watch……we need to keep our inner lamp burning ……even if it is dim…and sputtering with the last drops of fuel…….

The inextinguishable lamp represents our inner lamp……the fire in our soul……what is that fire?......the Spirit of the living God…….

Our love for the Lord and His Word……rekindles our flame…….we have to be prepared with the fuel from God’s Word…..the second part of 2 Samuel 22:29 says, “The Lord turns my darkness into lightâ€â€¦â€¦â€¦..God’s love for us will turn our defeated, sputtering lamps into a ……renewed full flame!

A full fledged soul-love for the Lord…..requires daily preparation for times of darkness…….Your light will be inextinguishable in you….when your spirit is full of His fuel…….

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back