Horses ears "wired" to stand up and forward?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This "ear wiring" thing is very disturbing to me, not only because it is not fair in the show ring, but a horse uses it's ears to communicate SO much to other horses, can you imagine how detrimental this would be to a horse in that way!
default_sad.png
Plus they NEED to be able to rotate their ears in order to hear correctly! Just pay attention to how many times your horse moves it's ears and in how many directions in just one minute!
This particular mare that I observed would start to turn her ears to the back (you know how they basically rotate outwards on the way to laying them back) and they'd only move about 1/4 inch and they she flick them back forward. Almost like they were on a spring. I know they weren't, but that's how fast she was moving them back forward. I don't know, maybe I'm not making any sense,
default_wacko.png
but it just didn't look right, you know what I mean? And then after it was suggested to me that the ears were altered, it just seemed even more weird. Something wasn't right about that horse. Maybe her ears weren't altered in some way, but it sure seemed like something was different.

Thanks for all the responses. I was actually hoping to learn just the opposite...that no one had ever heard of this and that I had gotten bad information.
default_no.gif

I simply can't understand people that would do this to their horses (or any other animal for that sake) it is not natural, should be illegal, and they don't give it to their offspring either.

What does it help that daddy look like a moviestar if babies look like donkeys with dog ears?

*sigh*

It is a sick world we live in
default_sad.png

Horses are some of the most fantastic creatures on this planet
default_wub.png
there is absolutely no reason to alter them.

Sadly, I wouldn't be at all surprised that this is being done.
default_no.gif

I know of a Doberman (with cropped ears) and one of his ears fell. The owners didn't like it and they had wires put in his ears. :DOH! I am told by a vet tech , this is common. The ear stood ( yes past tense) in the same position all the time and felt really weird to the touch. One day the wire broke up by the tip of the ear and poked through. The vet just simply pulled out the wire that was protruding but left the other side in.

If they are doing it in dogs, they are probably doing it in horses.
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

Robin

QUOTE(Little Bit @ Nov 13 2007, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=918786index.php?act=findpost&pid=918786

"This "ear wiring" thing is very disturbing to me, not only because it is not fair in the show ring, but a horse uses it's ears to communicate SO much to other horses, can you imagine how detrimental this would be to a horse in that way! Plus they NEED to be able to rotate their ears in order to hear correctly! Just pay attention to how many times your horse moves it's ears and in how many directions in just one minute!"

You got it, Little Bit. ..........but the thing is, if people are so hung up with winning to be this cruel (wiring) to their horses, I'm betting those same horses don't get out & about much. Except to the training ring and to the show ring. I've worked at barns with standard sized horses & believe me, those horses didn't live anything resembling a normal (much less natural) life.

One quarter horse mare was National caliber & winning. She looked great in the show ring. She spent her days & nites in a dirty stall with her feet completely wrapped in duct tape because the fact was she had almost NO natural foot. It had been shaped again & again & again. Cut down to almost nothing. And they rode her & worked her everyday in the training ring. She was completely pitiful and sad. She was on so many drugs. And they were going to breed this poor creature who could barely support her own weight -- because -- she was a champion!!

And then there was the gorgeous Arab stallion who spent all day, every day, tied on a short lead in his stall. Standing in one place. Couldn't lay down. Or turn around. He hated everything & everybody, but wouldn't you? Poor poor thing. He had lived 11 yeas that way when I knew him. And, oh yeah, he was a national champion too! that makes it ok, right?

I saw much more cruelty in that show barn. It was very very very sad.
default_no.gif
I can't think of one horse that lived there or came there for training, who was a happy creature. And the jerk is still in business.
default_gaah.gif

But other show barns/homes are different & treat their horses with utmost respect & dignity. It can be done. I think it's when the almighty dollar plays a big hand that it gets ugly.

Sorry, I must be missing something.

Surely cosmetic surgery, and this would come under that, is already against every rule in every book.

Of course proving it is a whole different thing!
default_wink.png

And as someone who has never seen "wiring" of any kind could someone explain how it is supposed to work for me??

And I guess everyone in dogs has heard the story of the monorchid that had the Neuticle implant so he was Entire??

Dogs are checked as part of the Judges examination and this dog was excused from the ring one day at a big show at which his handler expected, once again, to win.

Well, he was a gorgeous dog.

Unfortunately for the owner the other testicle had put in an appearance, as we all know they can do at almost any time, and, whilst having only one testicle is a big fault, having THREE is also frowned upon!! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
People have no qualms about electing for surgeries themselves... why not their pets
.... Because the horse CANNOT make that decision for its self but a person can.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
It is also deceptive & false advertising when you stand a stallion at stud & when you sell this horses foals!!!!
default_pinocchio.gif

but a horse uses it's ears to communicate SO much to other horses, can you imagine how detrimental this would be to a horse in that way
! .................. EXACTLY & THAT is the best reason for show officials including judges to disqualify this horse, owner & exhibitor. But wait :DOH! that falls in the same catagory as measuring the horse properly - can't do that because the shows will lose money!
default_wacko.png
............. Punish the poor horse for the owners & registries greedy desire!....
default_no.gif
......... For those that think neck surgeries & such do not exist - come out of your cave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to tell that this has been done? Perhaps judges who suspect such a thing could feel the horses' ears and disqualify any with wired ears. There has got to be a way to stop these cheaters, if only for the sake of the poor horses!
default_sad.png

IF this was done, I find it disgusting.

Isn't there a rule that says any horse should not have ANY surgical altering of any kind? If not, there needs to be.

Keep in mind, some folks dont show for fun. They show because all they care about is winning- at any cost- even to the horse. There have been many cruel and ridiculous things happen to all breeds over the years- just due to someone wanting that prize trophy.

And I agree, Erica was kind enough to show us her horses at Nationals, and what lovely horses they are all and obviously quite happy ones!

I believe that some people will do anything to win and with this topic being discussed, it will give a lot of those "win at any cost" people some new ideas.

If "wiring" ears is done in some horse breeds it will be done on the minis.

If they "crop ears" on dogs (Dobermans) they will crop ears on minis.

If cosmetic surgery is not allowed on horses in the show ring the judges will have to be trained to recognize it, as part of gaining their judges card.

I loved the three testicle dog that Rabbit Fizz wrote about.

A way that may work when checking for "wired ears" may be a tiny magnet it your hand that would be drawn to the ear tip. Likely wouldn't work...sounds too easy
default_wink.png

I think it should be visually obvious if a horse has it's ears wired. I can't imagine having someone touch a horse's ears to check... how many horses do you know that are happy about people touching/grabbing their ears?

Mine are pretty good about it, I touch their ears all the time... but when they are clipped and shaved out they are more touchy as there isn't the protective hair there anymore. And when touched improperly, horses will get headshy even if they were fine before.

Andrea

Back