Horses ears "wired" to stand up and forward?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

PLEASE tell me I was misinformed!!!

This year at Nationals, I was waiting in the make-up area for my halter class to start and I noticed this gorgeous mare that was going to be in the class also. Something was very different about her and finally it dawned on me that she ALWAYS looked "on" and ready to show. I actually said to her handler "she's gorgeous and boy, her ears never move do they?" Meaning I thought it was neat how they naturally were always perked. The handler just smiled at me and didn't say thank you or anything. (Purposely not saying who the handler was)

Well, someone who overhead me say this pulled me aside after the class and said "don't you know that that horse's ears are probably wired? What???
default_new_shocked.gif
Are you freakin' kidding me???
default_new_shocked.gif
No, look at the rest of their halter horses. They all look the same! OMG!!!
default_wacko.png

Please tell me this is NOT actually done to some of our horses!! I generally don't consider myself naive, but this has been really bothering me ever since Nationals and I just need to know one way or another.

I"ve never heard of wiring a horses ears but in show dogs we will "glue" the ears to get them set where they should be. In the aussies we use "moleskin" on the inside of the ear to firm it up..then glue the tip of the ear to the cheek... is is to make sure the carteledge sets in the correct place while they are growing and teething. I would assume it could be the same with a horse.

I dont know about "wired" but i have heard of horses having surgery to make their ears stand up. I know when this came up before many here had personal knowledge of horses that have had it done.
default_sad.png

Wired ears is sadly the least of a lot of show horses worries, And yes, I have heard of that... I know someone where its done at the barn she boards at all the time, that and many, many other ridiculous things.
Oh no!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
I was REALLY hoping this was just a myth. I'm curious what some of the other things are that are done. Well, actually maybe I don't want to know.

I think there are some "fishy" things that happen to some minis, for sure, but I think it can be much worse with some other breeds. Where when "you" reach a certain level of competetion, you have horses worth well into the 6 figures. That's got to breed corruption in some people
default_sad.png

There are all types of sugery that can be done to shape the ears of any animal. It is done on a fairly regular basis in dogs for instance and I know of several folks that have tried with horses. But if you know what you are looking for it is pretty evident that it has been done. As far as wiring, I have heard of it, but never seen it done on horses. I have though seen the ears taped and glued as previously described.

All of that stuff does go on I guess, but speaking for ourselves and most others that we know that show on a regular basis, we find it easier just to train the horses to use the ears they are born with. A profile is important but not enough so to start with all that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to hear about wiring, but sadly I'm sure there are lots of things that go on behind closed doors. I have heard of a rumor of a horse having fixed ears, and this horses ears when I saw them in person were more extreme than I have seen, to the point of touching each other and never flicking back and forth.....whether the horse was extreme or altered I don't know.

While I love it when a horse is "on" and alert.......no way would I ever do anything to them. My horses are not only a business they are my friends and companions. My show horses will climb up in your lap, chase you around for attention and give hugs and kisses. I'd rather spend some extra hours training and allowing a horse to develope itself, giving you that look on it's trust and understanding of what you are asking.

And yes Parmela, there are other stories as well...

Hi!

EEEE-GAD!!!!! I would think that would be extremly uncomfortable!!!!!!!! My gosh..... if you have to do that to win......... To me that would take all the FUN out of showing!!!!! If you have to win by cheating...... I think that says ALLOT about that person who owns that horse!!!!!!!!

That's a new one on me, but electric accupuncture and liposuction are used on necks to make them appear slim. I believe in breeding good conformation, not surgically altering a horse to make it something it's not.
default_no.gif

Just need to clarify --- acupuncture is not surgery.

Liz R.

I have to agree. Acupuncture is not a surgical procedure and can be VERY BENEFICIAL for certain things.

Off topic........I know but you can't mention liposuction and acupuncture in the same breath. And I have seen many horse have acupuncture on their necks and if they have a bad neck it's certainly not going to give them a good neck. It is also not against the rules of the American Horse Show Association and there are MANY MANY people who have acupuncturists work on their animals for many different things. Wiring ears and other surgical procedures, I admit are pretty gross.....but acupuncture is not a bad thing.

Acupuncture in animals has been used for thousands of years by the Chinese. Horses respond well, just like cats and dogs and nowadays acupuncture is often used in performance horses in the USA. Most racetracks have veterinarians who regularly perform acupuncture on horses. Acupuncture balances the body and in highly competitive race horses this can often make a big difference in achieving peak performance. Even if your horse is not a racehorse acupuncture can help, especially with orthopedic problems and lameness of various types. Acupuncture in horses is similar to that used in dogs and cats, which has been covered in a previous article in this website. Needles are inserted into various acupuncture points, depending on the problem that has been diagnosed. Sometimes in horses substances such as vitamin B 12 are actually injected into the acupuncture points to give a longer lasting effect, and this is often makes things easier to handle than having to wait for ten or twenty minutes while the needles remain in place. Acupuncture can treat many different conditions apart from lameness, such as dermatitis, liver or kidney problems and other miscellaneous diseases. Chronic lameness that has not responded to conventional treatment methods often responds well to acupuncture, and sometimes expensive and lengthy surgeries can even be prevented. As such acupuncture has become much more widely accepted for the treatment of horses, than it has for cats and dogs. It is now recognized by the American Veterinary Medical Association as a valid treatment modality.

Electric acupuncture used to slim a neck for show purposes is an invasive procedure and one I personally disagree with.

Acupuncture surely has medical reasons for use, but not to make a fat neck slim purely for show.

That just sounds completely rediculous to me! My horses all perk up in the ring and 'turn on', i dont need to wire anyone ears to get that affect. I think that is just completely overdoing it and i could not imagine it making much difference in the horses presentation.

To me, it sounds much easier to just train the horse these little thing then to go out and wire their ears or have some other surgical procedure.

Like I said in my first post, I'm hoping this isn't true, but it's what I was told by someone who overheard me comment on this horse's ears. Maybe they have something against that person, maybe they're jealous...or maybe it's the truth. I don't know, that's why I came here to ask. If it's done, someone here will know. I personally think it sounds horrible and what's the point? That horse isn't going to pass those "perky" ears on to its offspring...because it's FAKE!! But I will tell you that I did pay attention to the rest of that person's show string and it did appear that their halter horses all had some pretty perky ears.

Another thing, this person was winning - a lot - so it could just be sour grapes. But one of the judges noticed while we were lined up and waiting for the first horse to walk to the judges and the handler put his/her hand right behind the horses ears and starting scratching and actually said to the judge (because she was sort of staring at this horse that is all relaxed...except for its ears..."she loves to have her scratches!"

Well, sad to say, I have heard of that done before, I have actually never seen it, but diffinately heard of it. Also heard of other wierd procedures for the neckset of driving horses, or tail-flagging, which all of them may be just rumors and I hope so!!!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I have also heard some really nasty stuff goes on with some of the bigger breeds, just thank God, that everyone won't go to such extremes just to win something blue.

Electric acupuncture used to slim a neck for show purposes is an invasive procedure and one I personally disagree with.
Acupuncture surely has medical reasons for use, but not to make a fat neck slim purely for show.
We agree 100% with Becky.

We have a name for such as this here at our farm.....Frankenstein Horses.
default_new_shocked.gif

It is very sad to me that some of the top winning horses in our breed may not be genetically what they appear to be when shown. Those horses will be unable to reproduce their 'look' because it is man made not genetic. And because of their wins their offspring are in high demand....but will the offspring live up to the expectations of the buyer?

Sad that some will go to any length to win.

Charlotte

I have to agree with Becky & Charlotte. Very good points made by both.

I see people getting all upset about razoring muzzles. To the point of changing the actual show rules. This draws so much attention.

Yet, liposuction, electric acupuncture, wiring ears and on and on are accepted with a grain of salt. I don't get it! I'd rather shave my lip than have any of that other stuff done to ME! My horses accomplishments are without all that torture done to them. What you see is what you get. Too bad we cant say that about some horses! Sure makes one stop and consider or reconsider, showing at the top levels!

Viki

These people shouldnt be winning! the judges shouldve noticed! someone should contact the registries, if this is true

Latest posts

Back