Horses ears "wired" to stand up and forward?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW I have never heard of this happening but I would certainly say I have heard about other things..Its sad what lengths people go to to win. What a shame!!!

Huh.

I have worked in a variety of breeds and disciplines over the years... and have never heard of ears being wired. That is a completely new one to me.

Nor have I ever seen that acupuncture - of any kind - can change the shape of a neck...

default_wacko.png

IF, IF, IF....this is happening, it obviously isn't being advertised. So, the complaints haven't been as numerous as the shaved muzzles because it isn't realized to the same extent.

default_rolleyes.gif
You can bet that everyone at a show from now on will be looking at "ears".......and the lack of movement! If this is being done, it should disqualify the animal. Shame, the animal sure didn't ask for it and is going to get the blame. Go to the rule book and penalize the owner. Certain there is a clause to cover such unneeded actions.

Hmmmm, shame we can't allow such to happen to an owner who allowed it to happen to the horse.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to argue because I honestly don't know enough about it, but how different is accupuncture (as for being unnatural) than neck sweating? Is it painful to the horse?

I was at the Convention this past week and for the first time

ever heard about 'wiring ears' ... It is done ! for same ...

The only way to fix it is to make it against the rules !

So someone PLEASE get a motion put together !

I'm not trying to argue because I honestly don't know enough about it, but how different is acupuncture (as for being unnatural) than neck sweating? Is it painful to the horse?
It isn't painful at all. In fact the horses stand in the cross ties half asleep........very relaxed. I speak from experience not from hear say. I see it done on a regular basis for a lot of different things. I know a lot of people that have never seen things before conjure up a lot of strange things in their heads. But to each his own. Has no effect on me what's so ever. Just trying to state some facts here.

That being said I am sure if you get some "quack" that has no idea what they are doing.....who knows what it would feel like.

And you are right.....if you think acupuncture is wrong then you better hang up your sweats because all the acupuncture does for a neck is to help reduce fatty deposits. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear....so forget some miraculous change. It just doesn't happen that way.

Our horses see chiropractors, acupuncturists and vets to keep them at maximum comfort. I should be so lucky.

I think ear wiring originated in the Arabian halter horse world. Although the majority of Arabian people exhibiting their horses do so naturally, a number of trainers "did things behind the barn" including ear wiring. I know someone who had an Arabian gelding that suffered an ear injury as a stallion, and the owners at the time "took the opportunity" to sculpt the ear tips and wire them.

Andrea

Thanks, Carol. What you describe really is the picture that came to my mind in terms of how it feels to the horse
default_yes.gif
And, like I implied, it's not any less natural than neck sweats which are pretty widely accepted (hey, I may even use mine on my horses this season!!!!). IF I had the choice, and I were the horse, I think I'd ask for the acupuncture
default_biggrin.png

Showing Arabs for the last 37 years now I have NEVER heard of wiring an Arabs ears. They don't need it. All you have to do is stand in front of one and you have ears. They are not like most Mini's where you have to beg and bait for ears. At least most of them. Now that being said I have heard of ears being sculpted or cut down in size........like ear cropping. I personally find that really offensive. But wiring......no. Certain people have done some pretty horrendous things, IMO, but ear wiring is not one of them.

BTW.....Jill.......for maximum effect I would not rely on just acupuncture. Keep a good sweating program going. But now that I read your post over I see that you mean you will actually use your sweats. LOL! Your LAZY girl!

My feelings are that if somebody has to do all of these 'procedures' to a horse to make it into a show horse, then somebody is not doing their job as a breeder.

[SIZE=14pt]If you cheat to win...you loose[/SIZE]

After all is said and done those winners achieve an "empty victory".

What pleasure can there be in knowing that you are not only not the best but probably, not even one of the best.

Cheaters never win and Winners never Cheat!
default_saludando.gif

Joyce

Aack, not something I'd want done to my horses (ear wiring). My gelding with the most gorgeous little tippy ears had the tip of one bitten off a couple of years ago by a stud, and it nearly killed me to watch the vet trim and reshape it, but it was mangled and had to be done.

I've had several horses acupunctured for medical reasons all the way from hormonal issues in a mare to performance related soreness, to navicular disease. Horses love it, and it works. That said, I've never had a neck done to reduce the size although I've seen plenty and it does indeed slim the neck temporarily. I'm not sure either how different it is from sweating in terms of being ethical, both alter somewhat the shape of the neck, both are temporary fixes - one takes lots of work and effort, the other just takes a bigger checkbook.

Jan

It is very sad to me that some of the top winning horses in our breed may not be genetically what they appear to be when shown. Those horses will be unable to reproduce their 'look' because it is man made not genetic.
......And to me THAT is deceptive & false advertising when selling breedings to a stallion or a foal from a mare........... Yes the registries should make it illegal. Seems it would be easy enough to prove. If the horses ears never go back, the judge should go & check the horse out personally. Disqualify the exhibitor & the horse. They check for testicles, they can check for this also.

I don't understand why people don't believe that ear wiring or other cosmetic surgeries exist. I don't think it's as frequent as it could be, I think most people are ethical and honest as a whole. AND there are plenty nice horses out there.

One of my vets told me that people who show Arabians are the ones who usually elect for the surgeries.

Had a client with an Arabian stallion that had one undescended testicle. You can buy equine silicone testicles (do a search for Neuticles) and have them implanted in your horse... voila! You have a "fully intact stallion." Vet refused, but I'm quite sure there are plenty of vets who would go ahead and put it in!

To me, THAT is far more unethical than wired ears or a slimmer neck...

Dogs and cats have tons of cosmetic surgeries done. Dogs can have facelifts, hairless cat breeds can have laser surgery to remove extra unwanted hair... testicle implants... here in CA where we have lots of plastic surgeons for people there are also those who specialize in pets.

People have no qualms about electing for surgeries themselves... why not their pets, with whom they can make more competitive?

It's horrible but it DOES exist.

Andrea

This "ear wiring" thing is very disturbing to me, not only because it is not fair in the show ring, but a horse uses it's ears to communicate SO much to other horses, can you imagine how detrimental this would be to a horse in that way!
default_sad.png
Plus they NEED to be able to rotate their ears in order to hear correctly! Just pay attention to how many times your horse moves it's ears and in how many directions in just one minute!

Acupuncture makes me mad because its just a quick fix like going to a tanning bed, which I personally think is horrible. I spend HOURS on the mower in the pasture with sun screen on in the summer WORKING to get a tan, and I only get as tan as my body says is right for me. Well neck sweating is the same, it may be temporary but at least its honest work and only so much can be sweat off that is acceptable for that horse's body. Its like me trying to exercise for the purpose of losing weight, I'm only going to loose weight at a rate that my body sees fit. The key is working for what I want, and being proud of the hard work. Not just getting an easy way out. I can understand there might be legitimate medical reasons for acupuncture and such, but for show purposes and winning its just wrong.

This "ear wiring" thing is very disturbing to me, not only because it is not fair in the show ring, but a horse uses it's ears to communicate SO much to other horses, can you imagine how detrimental this would be to a horse in that way!
default_sad.png
Plus they NEED to be able to rotate their ears in order to hear correctly! Just pay attention to how many times your horse moves it's ears and in how many directions in just one minute!
Janell you beat me to the punch. This is exactly what I was thinking since reading the beginning of this thread! The ears are a huge part of a horse's language, just think how confusing, and potentially dangerous and even life threatening humans just made the rest of the life of these horses. This is a brainless, insensitive, cruel, and unethical act.

The whole thing gives me the willies.........Aren't we supposed to be IMPROVING the "breed"???

I remember hearing stuff about horses getting BRACES for crying out loud! Just to make sure they have a presentable bite for the judges!

I've heard of various practices like that and they are stupid! If they're true, they make me d*mn mad!

I'm going to shut up now........or I'll spew and say something stupid.

MA

Latest posts

Back