horrific case of neglect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am praying that he isn't too far gone........Bless him. I can't believe he still has the strength to stand or keep his head up.

Please keep us posted on him. I hope the people who starved him get the book thrown at them.

This is truly the thinest animal I've seen still alive. And look at him! His head is up, his ears up alert and his eyes still have life in them. What an amazing spirit this horse has. My prayers for him and his caregivers.
wub.gif

And Diane, never truer words spoken.
Ditto

I want to edit this and add, no there is no excuse for a thin horse, but when speaking of "real neglect" it is not neglect when someone comes on the forum and speaks of a mini that must be neglected because it lives by itself, and they pass once a week but never see anyone. Whos to say the owner isn't out there for hours on end, this is not neglect.

A stallion whom is fed a large amount of feed, has grass and hay, but runs the fence in breeding season, so he may be a little ribbie until he is either, moved and relaxes or breeding season is over, this is not neglect. A mini that is recovering from neglect and is fostered and on the mend but misconceived by by passers, this is not neglect, this is where it helpd to know the situation and the inside story, not to jump the gun.

But there will always be some will color a topic to be viewed in there favor, regardless of what merit it holds.

Champion has a strong will to survive and is far beyond a little ribbie, it is a horific case and there is no reason for it.

Cases like this and ones that need intervention before it reaches this point are neglect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I've read through a lot of posts about horses being thin, and people here criticizing other people that they think they are "rescuing" horses from, that are 1000+ times better than this boy. Perhaps a picture like this will cause people to realize what REAL starvation is. I think this is about the worst case of starvation I have ever seen in a living, standing, breathing animal.
For those of us--and I will say us--who reprimand, criticize and "jump-all-over" people when we purchase, receive or see a horse that isn't as "fleshy" as we keep ours, and bad mouth them all over THIS forum and others, I hope we rethink our criticism and NEVER forget the looks of this boy. Someone watched this happen day by day to this little one and did nothing. If you want to criticize people who are going through tough times, and their horses are a bit thin, remember, there but through the grace of God, go you and I.

Let's remember the sight of TRUE NEGLECT, verses people trying to hang on the best they can. THIS IS TRUE NEGLECT and should be punished.
I disagree. There is NO EXCUSE for a thin horse. NONE. I suppose the exception would be a horse with a medical condition under a vets care. Other than that, no excuse. If someones' horses are 'a bit thin', then how much longer would it take for those horses to end up looking like the one in this post? If you can't feed the horse properly, then find someone who can. Sell them or give them away.

Horses should never end up looking like the one pictured here. Prayers go out to him and his rescuers.

Edited to add: Here is a link to Equine Body Scores with pictures. It might help those understand better whether a horse is thin or not. Henneke Body Condition Scoring

I've seen some thin minis but sheesh with as efficient as their systems are and probability of IR and other metabolic problems they can have it really takes "work" to get them that thin. I hope the little one can recover from such serious neglect and that the people/person responsible gets at least something as a punishment. that person should have to go without food for a while and see what its like.

OMG and just looket at the life in those beautiful eyes l hope he pulls through and thrives...really beyond words how anyone can be so unfeeling.
default_smileypuke.gif

There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for this type of neglect. Nor do I personally have any tolerance for this treatment. This particular case is blatant disregard for an animals well being.

However, with that being said.... This horses SPIRIT shines through and he has an unbelievable spark of life in his eyes considering everything that he's obviously endured. My prayers are with him and those that have taken him in.

Well, I've read through a lot of posts about horses being thin, and people here criticizing other people that they think they are "rescuing" horses from, that are 1000+ times better than this boy. Perhaps a picture like this will cause people to realize what REAL starvation is. I think this is about the worst case of starvation I have ever seen in a living, standing, breathing animal.
Although this is about the worst I have ever seen...that is no excuse for any horse being thin. One shouldn't have to wait until it is as viscarily displeasing as this to call it "real starvation". I have seen horses with more meat on them than this one, die. It is all relative...not all animals can survive what the other can...not all have the will to survive that this horse so obviously has.

I have to beleive there is a SPECIAL HE77 for someone that can do this to a living creature. I do not CARE if they themselvers were starving...I would rather have them shoot him than allow this to happen. No, absolutely no excuse will work for cases such as this.

sadmini2.jpg

He made it through the night, and waited anxiously for his next meal. He has such a will to live!!
default_biggrin.png

I saw on Animal Planet the rescue of a big mare that was in this kind of shape. She didn't look pregnant. It looked like a tumor. Sadly the mare foaled 2 weeks after the rescued her and she passed away. The foal did live and they followed her all the way to getting a new home when she had had some training and got her new home. I hope this little guy recovers. There is no reason to let any horse get this way. If you can not afford to feed it, get rid of it. If you only had 2 choices would you.

1) sit there and watch your own childern starve?

or

2) Put them where they would be cared for?

Same thing a life is a life.

I disagree. There is NO EXCUSE for a thin horse. NONE. I suppose the exception would be a horse with a medical condition under a vets care. Other than that, no excuse. If someones' horses are 'a bit thin', then how much longer would it take for those horses to end up looking like the one in this post? If you can't feed the horse properly, then find someone who can. Sell them or give them away.

Horses should never end up looking like the one pictured here. Prayers go out to him and his rescuers.

I agree with Becky, there's no excuse for a thin horse (other than as she stated would be a horse with a medical condition under a vets care) and definately NO excuse for a horse to look like this colt! Who's to say this boy couldn't have been saved before ever getting to this point, perhaps when he was just starting to get thin if someone would have said something or offered some criticism something could have been done. I, for one, could not just sit back and watch someones horse drop weight because "times are tough", I understand that it can be hard to give up an animal you love but if you REALLY love them you'll do what's best for them and not be selfish. I wonder how many horses (or any animal for that matter) could have been saved early on (when they were just a bit thin, maybe not looking as "fleshy" as our own horses)if someone (or multiple people) just would have said something. I'm not saying you should jump all over someone and be rude about it, but start by nicely saying something even as simple as "hey I've been driving by and noticed that "horse's name" is looking a little thin, is he/she doing okay? Is there anything I could help you with?" After that just take it one step at a time, as time goes by (not a lot of time, just enough to know if there's been any changes) if nothing is being done than take another step. Sometimes it comes down to drastic measures.

I have a neighbor who has a quarter horse gelding. About a month or so ago I noticed that he was looking pretty thin (not as thin as this colt, and not thin enough to turn in as a starvation case but thin enough I knew I had to do something before he got worse). I went over to their house and nicely stated that I've noticed that "Herbie" was dropping weight and I was concerned. They said that they noticed that he had been dropping weight (honestly, how could they not?!)but hadn't tried anything to help him. (And yes I did ask about when his teeth were last floated and when/with what he had been dewormed last, they said he had his teeth floated a few months ago and he was dewormed that month) I nicely suggested that they give him free choice hay (they didn't know what that meant so I explained it to them) and get him on Equine Sr. (the horse is in his early 20's) or some other senior feed and follow the feeding directions. They seemed grateful for the advice and did end up acting on it. Now "Herbie" has free choice hay and is on a senior feed, already he's looking MUCH better.

This situation was just the lack of care from the owner, not a financial case (she had just bought a whole new set of tack), although even if it was a financial case I would have done the same. All it took was her realizing that just because she didn't care doesn't mean no one else does, once she realized that I didn't approve and was concerned she took action. I do feel that if I hadn't said anything that he would have just kept getting worse and worse, because frankly the owner just didn't care. This horse is just a pasture ornament to her (well he's not really in a pasture, he's on a very small dry lot).

Now, if they would have chose to not do anything and if he kept dropping weight I would have had to take the next step and try a different approach. Now this horse was NOWHERE NEAR as bad as this mini colt, heck he looked 100000x better, but what kind of horse lover would I be if I had just written it off as "well times are tough and he's not THAT thin". He very well could have ended up looking just like this colt.

For me personally, there's just no excuse.

I'm amazed at the life and alertness you can see in his eyes. This little one definitely has a will to live. I pray that he does. Words can't express the disdain I feel for the low lives that would let this happen.
I agree. I first saw how skinny he was but you can't avoid those big bright beautiful eyes. He is defintelly a fighter.

I don't think I have ever seen a horse this skinny and is still alive. Like many others have said. These people should get thrown in jail. We are not talking about a horse or horses that are thin or ill taken care of, this horse was obviously starving and the owners was not making any effort. This is just as bad as starving your own child IMO.

I am a regular reader of the FHOTD blog(I know some don't like it; I don't care for some of the language, AND I've seen instances where incorrect conclusions were 'jumped to', which is nearly always a bad thing), BUT, I am 100% behind the basic sentiment that ABUSE should NEVER be tolerated, and ABUSERS should be 'outed' AND punished. Recently, there have been TWO stories of full-sized horses who look nearly as bad as this miniature--but I have NEVER seen a miniature look THAT BAD! GOD BLESS this rescue and their workers for taking him in--and to the local AC, for not accepting excuses or the old' if there's hay and a water hose 'on the premises', the animals must be OK' crap, as happens in some locales!

I write partly to say that there is some really good info on're-feeding' and care of such pitifully starved horses on those recent FHOTD posts, just in case anyone could use the info. What kind-hearts instinctively want to do is not always the best path, it turns out.

I must agree 100% with Becky and others; there is simply no excuse for horses becoming underweight when they don't have an 'incurable' health issue as cause. IMO, it is unconscionable to keep 'hoping' things will improve while your animals are going downhill in condition week after week. One should feel ethically bound to take whatever action necessary to ensure the animals' well-being as soon as it becomes clear that the future is uncertain...that should be all there is to it! It may be tough, but that's life...and the animals CAN'T SPEAK UP AND ASK FOR OUTSIDE HELP!So, when the need is observed by 'outsiders', action SHOULD be promptly instituted....as long as it is based upon observable fact.

Marty...something tells me there wouldn't BE much left--and that's JUST as it should be! Good for you; I feel EXACTLY the same!!

Margo

Let's remember the sight of TRUE NEGLECT, verses people trying to hang on the best they can. THIS IS TRUE NEGLECT and should be punished.
I have to say I disagree about what counts as true neglect. Yes, this case should result in punishment for whoever was in control of this horse, but there are a good many people who should be punished for keeping horses that are not quite as emaciated as this one is.
A horse does NOT have to be this horribly skinny to count as true neglect. An animal is considered a starvation case long before it gets to the point where it looks like this poor little horse, and I would sure hope that no one would ever suggest that a starving horse isn't worth turning into the authorities because it isn't as skinny as this one is!

I've turned in horses that weren't as bad as this one, and I will do it again if necessary. I have no sympathy for anyone that doesn't feed their animals.

For those that disagreed with Diane... Some more of my personal thoughts....

I agree neglect comes in many different "looks" and weights. A horse can be of healthy weight, but being neglected in their treatment. And then some people can "kill" an animal with kindness by overfeeding. But I do not believe that every horse (or other animal) we see that isn't rotund is being neglected. Each case should be viewed individually and people should not be outted when all the facts aren't known. This is my opinion.

People go through life changes and bad times. Should they ask for help? Yes. But help isn't always available right away. I'm not defending people who truly neglect animals, but in stead I'm just asking that everyone treat each case as its own and try to understand the circumstances, and then offer help if you can. Don't bad mouth the people. Some very large and well-respected farms have dispersed over the years as their owners aged, became ill, etc. Maybe at the time of dispersal the horses didn't look as they did for the previous 25 years, but bad things happen to good people. The action of the dispersal is, in and of itself, a way of getting the horses into better situations. But it takes time and it takes help not blame. Again, just my opinion and I believe it's what Diane was saying also.

Obviously, this little angel is beyond "neglect" and hopefully he has a chance. I honestly can't imagine how he's still able to stand. One amazing spirit that horse has.
wub.gif

Sorry, Parmela, I still disagree. A thin horse is underweight and not getting enough calories to maintain itself. It's owner responsibility to insure that the animals in our care meet it's health and nutritional requirements. No matter our situation. If we lose our jobs, fall upon hard times, have health issues, have an accident, etc, it's still our responsibillty to feed our animals. If we can't do it, then we find someone who can. You can't take a 'wait and see' approach. Time doesn't wait.

There is no excuse for this. NONE! This makes me crazy and furious. I would like just 60 seconds in a room with the person that caused this. Yalls could have what's left, but I'm first.

I agree With Marty 110% I'm in line!
default_10_2_12.gif

Bill

With his will to live and willingness to eat, as long as whoever is feeding him is careful, hopefully he will have a full recovery. I work with the USERL (US Equine Rescue League, www.userl.org; we are in the NE coastal NC region) and see about 20-30 each year this thin.... I have high praise and best wishes for the ones working on this guy.

Each case should be viewed individually and people should not be outted when all the facts aren't known.
For my part, if I see a horse--or cow or whatever--going day after day after day without feed or water and getting thinner and thinner, (or if when I first see the animal it is already in poor condition and it is not an animal that the current custodian has just rescued and so is working at getting that animal back into good condition) quite frankly I don't care what the facts are--the only fact that matters to me is the fact that there is an animal that is not getting the feed and water it needs and I am going to take action on it. Of course horses don't have to be rotund but there's a far cry between rotund and skinny. For that matter there's a big difference between "a little thin" and SKINNY/MALNOURISHED.
On my earlier post I fogot to add--I'm another that has never seen a horse that thin that was still alive--and is bright eyed besides. I sure hope that he can come back from this and have a happy, well cared for life in a new home.

Is someone being charged for this horrible case of neglect?

Latest posts

Back