horrific case of neglect

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are currently going through turning around a horse we bought from Texas that arrived with a BCS of 2 (see Becky's link). We paid top dollar for a starved horse from a well known farm based on fictitious, old photos.

Monday will be nine weeks of turning her around. The effects of this type of starvation are multifacited and many systems are involved. Survival is far from assured. In this case you are dealing with far, far less than 50/50. And there can be long term affects from the abuse to the body. The significant financial costs are ongoing.

There are several links to new research on how to do this. Concentrates are the worst to give them. Alfalfa in small doseges is the best. Our mare crashed on day 10 and had to have IV's started. Their stomachs cannot hold much and they are severly dehydrated. Her teeth were in such bad shape she could not chew grass or hay. When their weight is that low sedation is life threatening.

The mare we thought we bought as a healthy, in foal (No she was not) and arrived starved, had a low weight of 131 pounds, before turning around. Normal weight on this mare is about 200 pounds. The photos we were sent were obviously not recent ones.

The type of starvation these horses endured should have their owners prosecuted. Many times there are other horses at the same ranch going through the same heck. Once these horses have food in front of them it can be days before they know what to do with the food. They have no muscle or fat. Movement is extremly painful for them. They expend more energy moving then they are eating and it is impossible for them to stay warm. All their organs are affected. You have to wonder what the veterinarian was thinking when he passed the health exam. I called him and he said "He knew the horse would be going to a better place"!!!!

In our case the owner still wanted top dollar for what turned out to be a rescue horse. I am still angry I paid someone to abuse a horse. Thankfully Rose is still alive and we pray will recover completly. But there are still issues we are trying to work out. The recovery is measured in months to years, not days. This abuse will not be turned around quickly.

You have my sympathy and I certainly know what you are going through and what lies ahead. I wish I could say this is an isolated case, but as the 100 miniature horses on that ranch in Texas a couple of weeks ago proves, it is not the only one.

I agree With Marty 110% I'm in line!
default_10_2_12.gif

Bill
This is horrific - the worst case that I have ever seen. I can't believe this little guy is still struggling to live - and I am praying that he continues with his will to live - and makes it. He deserves to live and be pampered.

The people that did this should be put in jail - forever. There is no excuse whatsoever for an animal in this kind of condition. I am shocked and so very sad.

Thank heavens there are people in this world - like you - that rescue and try to save these poor suffering animals. Hats off to you for trying and so many of us are praying that he recovers.

I thought that a mare that I bought was in horrific condition - but she is nowhere near the state of this little guy.

This is what my mare looked like - and I actually paid good money for her!!!!!!!!!

IMG_0028%20cyndi%20mare.jpg

IMG_0031%20cyndi%20mare.jpg

But my girl recovered quickly (although doesn't really trust humans)

Kristi%20standing.jpg

As I sit here with tears streaming down my face, I can only pray that a little horse that has so much spirit and will to live will be able to do so -- horrified doesn't even begin to describe what I am feeling - and to think that this was DONE TO HIM -- it reminds me of the pictures we have all seen of the concentration camps -- and just which side of the war was this poor little creature on! ! Disgusting ! ! I so truly hope that the wonderful folks who have taken him in will be able to save him. Altho we see a lot of abuse cases these days, there is just something about the look in this fellow eyes that kicks me right in my gut and breaks my heart --- I'm with Marty - let me at 'em ! !

I am stunned. I have to work hard that my horses are not too FAT. I just cant imagine how someone would look at this horse every day and think this is ok, or even sleep at night. I would be begging feed from neighbors or anyone else if that were the case and begging for someone to either take him or give him up to a rescue BEFORE it got this BAD.

I hope he can recover with other problems and I know that horses in this condition can go into shock from suddenly getting too much food, or even food at all- on top of the other problems that can occur. I wonder how this damages internal organs too?

SICKENING and I am with Marty on this one!!

We are currently going through turning around a horse we bought from Texas that arrived with a BCS of 2 (see Becky's link). We paid top dollar for a starved horse from a well known farm based on fictitious, old photos.

Monday will be nine weeks of turning her around. The effects of this type of starvation are multifacited and many systems are involved. Survival is far from assured. In this case you are dealing with far, far less than 50/50. And there can be long term affects from the abuse to the body. The significant financial costs are ongoing.

There are several links to new research on how to do this. Concentrates are the worst to give them. Alfalfa in small doseges is the best. Our mare crashed on day 10 and had to have IV's started. Their stomachs cannot hold much and they are severly dehydrated. Her teeth were in such bad shape she could not chew grass or hay. When their weight is that low sedation is life threatening.

The mare we thought we bought as a healthy, in foal (No she was not) and arrived starved, had a low weight of 131 pounds, before turning around. Normal weight on this mare is about 200 pounds. The photos we were sent were obviously not recent ones.

The type of starvation these horses endured should have their owners prosecuted. Many times there are other horses at the same ranch going through the same heck. Once these horses have food in front of them it can be days before they know what to do with the food. They have no muscle or fat. Movement is extremly painful for them. They expend more energy moving then they are eating and it is impossible for them to stay warm. All their organs are affected. You have to wonder what the veterinarian was thinking when he passed the health exam. I called him and he said "He knew the horse would be going to a better place"!!!!

In our case the owner still wanted top dollar for what turned out to be a rescue horse. I am still angry I paid someone to abuse a horse. Thankfully Rose is still alive and we pray will recover completly. But there are still issues we are trying to work out. The recovery is measured in months to years, not days. This abuse will not be turned around quickly.

You have my sympathy and I certainly know what you are going through and what lies ahead. I wish I could say this is an isolated case, but as the 100 miniature horses on that ranch in Texas a couple of weeks ago proves, it is not the only one.
Been there, too- it is a sad deal. Sorry you and your mare had to go through it,

That is the sickest thing I have seen in a long time. I hope the owners are arrested and sent to prison where they aren't fed. I cannot believe how people can do things to animals that love and trust you. It is sickening. Prayers

So, in the cases mentioned like this...big name farms, big money, starved horses...has ANYONE taken THEM TO TASK? Have charges been filed...or are the "Big-guys" above all that? Or, do people complain, but do nothing; leaving the remaining horses there to starve till another person gets rooked into buying yet another high-priced starving horse?

I can only hope that something is being done in these cases...as it only serves to encourage this kind of thing if left on it's own. They will breed more, and continue in the same vein.

NOBODY, should ever, be above the law in abuse cases...NOBODY...I don't get a rat's butt how "famous and well-known" they are. IMO...they would soon be "in-famous". And I would soon be "PROUDLY" telling EVERYONE my new horse's name, (and posting pictures) so they ALL knew where that starving creature came from. Don't have to "name-names", as they did it themselves when registering the horse, or putting a farm name to it.

Although not as bad, the pictures posted by mmmorgans and this poor little guy are NOT "THIN" horses, they are STARVED horses! Big difference. No animal should go without proper care, but these two examples aren't thin/missing proper nutrition horses, they have been starved. IMO, a thin horse is one that is slightly underweight, maybe 10% under their proper weight, but when a horses hips, backbone and ribs are sticking out like these two...that shouldn't be called thin, it should be called a felony.

There is a difference which is why every case should be treated on its own facts. I think these pictures posted represent the facts in these cases - horses were being out-right starved.

And I would soon be "PROUDLY" telling EVERYONE my new horse's name, (and posting pictures) so they ALL knew where that starving creature came from. Don't have to "name-names", as they did it themselves when registering the horse, or putting a farm name to it.
That's what I've always thought too. You don't have to post & say you're so upset because you received this starved horse, just post an ad saying that your new horse has arrived from xxx farm and you'd just like to say a big thank you to that farm for sending you such a lovely horse--and then include photos of that horse at the time it arrived at your farm. Seller can hardly complain because you haven't said anything negative about them, it's just a simple thank you (same as we see every day when people truly are thrilled with the horse that has just arrived). The pictures do the talking and everyone then knows who sent a horse in such poor condition!

For those interested in learning more read this article: http://www.starvinghorses.com/Refeedingsyndrome.html

Also see this to understand BCS:

See: http://www.kritters.net/hen/hen.html

This is a helpful article Becky sent to me:

http://www.completerider.com/nutrition.htm

Unfortunatly it is not as easy as adding food and water. It is FAR more complex and frustrating. In my case there were many ups and downs (she will make it, she will die). I am a pretty balanced person, but this case was my hardest ever. It felt like we had a bad colic case that just would NOT end. One problem would seem to be solved and another would take its place.

This type of neglect did not happen in a week or a month, but represents long term suffering. It will not be corrected fast, if they even survive. It is not only a day to day issue, but a minute by minute.
new_shocked.gif

Ok, the computer ate my reply.

I'm on dial-up, so couldn't see the pics earlier, was on FB and saw the pictures there. I'm absolutely amazed this guy is standing, let alone, bright and alert.

I agree - well said Sue C!!!!

Barbie

Yes - well said Sue C. When I got my mare in such horrendous condition - I called the SPCA - and they wouldn't even return my calls

I do believe that people that do these things to horses should be banned from owning horses - or any animal - period. But if the SPCA won't get involved - then what are you supposed to do?

I will be checking back daily to see if there are positive updates on this litte guy.

Oh - by the way - we had a lot of blood work done on this little mare (she was about 130 lbs) - and the blood work indicated that she was burning muscle - which is a true sign of starvation - the body will burn muscle to stay alive.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!
default_new_shocked.gif
I have seen a lot of neglected horses through the years, and rescued several myself. But, this is one of the worst I've ever seen! I am amazed at how bright and lively his eyes are and how his ears are so perked up for the condition he is in. I just want to say thank you for giving him a chance at a better life.
default_aktion033.gif
I know you would like to see him recover as soon as possible, but please be careful and don't try to get him to eat too much too fast, his little body might not be able to cope with a big change like that. Good luck!
default_wink.png

Yes - well said Sue C. When I got my mare in such horrendous condition - I called the SPCA - and they wouldn't even return my calls. I should have posted a big thank you - there were two farms involved in the condition of this mare - one is no longer in business (thank heavens) and the other is a huge breeder that posts on this forum.

I do believe that people that do these things to horses should be banned from owning horses - or any animal - period. But if the SPCA won't get involved - then what are you supposed to do?

I will be checking back daily to see if there are positive updates on this litte guy.

Oh - by the way - we had a lot of blood work done on this little mare (she was about 130 lbs) - and the blood work indicated that she was burning muscle - which is a true sign of starvation - the body will burn muscle to stay alive.

Wouldn't return your calls...how sad that is. I know they are busy everywhere, but even a "we will call you back when we have time", is better than ignoring calls.

Well, perhaps when something like that happens again, the buyer(s) will post pictures and information in their big "Thank You" post.
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

I wept when I saw the pictures, how could anyone let a horse in their care get like this, I'M with Marty, let me at them. They should be starved too. Look at those bright eyes, if anyone has a will to live it is that little, poor soul. I hope and pray he recovers. Keep us posted on his progress.

Yvonne

That's what I've always thought too. You don't have to post & say you're so upset because you received this starved horse, just post an ad saying that your new horse has arrived from xxx farm and you'd just like to say a big thank you to that farm for sending you such a lovely horse--and then include photos of that horse at the time it arrived at your farm. Seller can hardly complain because you haven't said anything negative about them, it's just a simple thank you (same as we see every day when people truly are thrilled with the horse that has just arrived). The pictures do the talking and everyone then knows who sent a horse in such poor condition!
Oh how I agree with you...Why should the "big boys" or any other breeder get away with selling a horse in that shape? They should be "outed" so others won't get taken. Embarrasment before your peers...better than a slap on the hand like most abusers get..

OMG that is just horrific how can anyone let a horse or any animal get like that .

That bring tears to my eyes and anger as well

good on you for rescueing him and a hope he makes a full recovery

and has a happy healhy live with you

good luck

How is Champion doing? I ca't get the look of his eyes and the spirit of his soul out of my mind.

Stacy

Latest posts

Back