HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aw, thanks, Ryan, I'd like to see at least 2 foals come from this breeding season; prefer not to have singles, so they have playmates. topper seems to be mostly gentlemanly, but now and then gets a bit too pushy.

I'm running out of grass in their pasture without horses across the fence, so not sure what I'm going to do, if I want to try to let Topper run with his mares til Aug 1, and make sure I hit everyone's cycles. I might be able to eek a couple days of grazing out of one area, but not sure how well the horses will stay put and be happy in that location; but will probably see about moving some panels and giving it a try after today's grazing or maybe tomorrow's.

Just rambling.

I'm now drowning in kitties... As if we didn't have enough barn cats, more than enough, we now have 7 more (and will probably be 8, if I can catch the last kitten, he's really wild). We had a rental, renters pulled out (took their dogs, horses, goat, but left the cats), so we caught the kitties and brought them home to our barn. A couple were already getting skinny, so renters didn't leave food out for them as if they were going to come back and retrieve them, so we gathered them up and added to our clowder of cats.

My MIL took two of the kittens, since they are down to just two barn cats, so that helps a little bit. This fall, I'll get some males neuter, and if it's in the budget some females spayed; the mobile vet offers lower cost neutering of barn cats, so when the weather cools off, I'll take advantage of her lower prices for barn cats. [There is a low cost spay neuter clinic going on this week in town, but it's just too hot and humid to try to haul cats in carriers 65 miles one-way.] On the off chance, the renters do ask for the kitties, I'll give them back, but if not, our barn just got a little more crowded, and the barn cat feed bill just went up.

four more babies caught and brought home. Even got the really hard to catch the baby under the shed. I think we got them all. Two babies from first catch have gone missing, I think they are hiding in the hay stack or in the wall of the barn.

My favorite barn kitty, CalliCat, has been missing for 3 days now, she hasn't come up for food. Last time she disappeared for this long, she went off to have kittens, but since she was spayed 2 years ago, she's got gone for that reason. She went on walk about the day before the new kitties came, but perhaps too much going on and she's in hiding; sure hope she comes back. The new Tom kitty hasn't been seen since yesterday sometime, hopefully, he's just checking out his new territory. the 3 mommas wait for breakfast to be served, and about half the babies come out of hiding to eat a bit of canned food (only mommas and babies get canned food, the rest get a bit of dry and what ever mice, birds and gophers they can catch).

Topper seemed ok the other night when I put him back in his bachelor pad, but this morning he's upset about being alone. Goofy boy.

Yesterday I went and got another load of horse hay, this morning I'm getting it stacked in the barns. Then, I have to pick up the small squares of hay for the calving barn; not great hay, but the cows won't mind and getting small squares into the barn stalls is easier than forking off a round bale and dragging it through the barn. Must get back to unloading so I can go pick some more.

All picked, has been for an hour or so, just not excited about unloading and stacking in the wind that has come up (plus I'm tired; sleepy tired and tired of looking at small hay bales). The trailer is backed up to where they need to go, just not ready to do the unloading and stacking.

The hay I bought, yesterday, and stacked in the gelding barn this morning got those kitties all excited, they now have new tunnels to explore, crickets to chase (lots of crickets on that hay), and horses to watch from their perch. My other favorite barn kitty claimed that barn as hers and it's her place to have her kittens, she's there with two of last year's kittens and this year's litter plus one of the old toms and a young tom (this young one gets fixed this fall). [The old one probably wouldn't recover from anesthesia, he's rather old for a barn cat.]

Finished picking the small squares out of the yard yesterday, got them in the stack this morning, all cow hay for calving. My FIL came down with about 60 small squares of mostly grass for me this morning, so stacked those, probably half dozen bales that won't be horse quality, but those can go to the cows as I come to them in the stack. Price was right
default_wink.png
, and now I'm done with small squares for this year. Yeah! I like them in the barn, but man do I hate hauling and stacking them.

Tink, the house kitty (indoor/outdoor), went to the vet yesterday for an abscess; she's fine, after a clean up, and a shot of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories.

Thought, Tilly, the donkey, would have to go today... Went out to feed and do chores this morning and she had blood on her head, hurried up and got everyone else fed and came back to Tilly; she has a gash in her ear, which took a bit to find, since it's in a weird location (near the base inside the front edge). [Looks similar to those hematomas dogs can get from shaking their head too vigorously, that then break open.] She let me clip her ear, her jaw below her ear (for cleanliness), wipe the inside of her ear with betadine/water dipped gauze pads, dry it and then spray with a fly spray for wounds. Have a donkey fly mask with ears on order, might be a bit late for this incident, but perhaps can prevent future issues. And, talked to the vet, she said I did pretty much what she would have, just watch it and if it doesn't show progress with healing, then I'll probably have to have her out to sedate and do more (if that's possible with the location.

Thanks, Ryan.

Seems like it's one thing after another lately, not all health related; but first the abandoned cats, then my favorite barn kitty disappeared, then the house kitty, then the donkey. What's next locusts?

Glad Tilly is okay. I need just a few small squares of hay. Want to bring me some? I will unload them. Lol. You have been quite busy. I am not much on cats, I am allergic to them. My grand daughter has one that I really like though. Her name is Athenia. She is black and orange all over. Brennal? She is really cool. She gets to spend the night over here sometimes. My husband loves her too. She is crazy and funny. Lots of antics from that girl. Hope your kitty's come home soon.

Brought home another cat from the rental, it might be the same tabby tom, but I can't be positive. [Tabby tom went missing a couple days ago from here, so could have possibly hiked the 6 miles back to the rental.] As far as I know, they only had the 4 tabbies, but I'm not positive. He's not terribly happy being here, so he may go missing again. When it cools off, I'm going to have a few of the male barn cats neutered, he's one if he's still around; when finances allow, some females will get done too.

Whew! it's warm out there today. I haven't done much today, but I'm still pooped from the heat.

I do believe Topper did enjoy his time with his girls, he got three weeks, so I hope he got the job done. I saw him talking with all 4 girls, so here's hoping.

Wish me luck... We are hand breeding Che` to Baybe this cycle. He can't seem to get it done on his own. He'll be covering her every morning til she goes out, I know that's not the norm, but I would really like a foal from these two. [she's his only mare, so it won't over tax him to cover her every morning with help (he gives whole new meaning to hand breeding.]

Dang it, only got one hand breeding in with Baybe on Monday morning, Tuesday it was down pouring and windy, so didn't even try, and Wednesday he wasn't interested. Today, the donkey is in, and he is interested, if he wants her, he'll have to figure that one out on his own, I don't think I want to get in the middle of that, but you never know, I may change my mind. :eek:

If she doesn't get lost, there is a gal coming out for barn cats tomorrow morning. Shayne wants me to send the newest cats, since they keep coming up to the house and don't get along with the resident cats; so guess we'll start there and see how much kennel/crate room there is. I'd like to send a few of the extra black cats we have, we have lots of black cats. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back