HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks great in the pictures. And ditto Diane. You have done a great job with him
default_smile.png

Thanks, guys. [Well, you know I don't publicly share his bad pictures, he just looks too rough. There are times during the year, I'm glad we don't have close neighbors.]

Right now, he looks darn good for weight, but he's not shedding worth a darn so looks pretty flea bitten and scruffy. I'll probably end up clipping him after Mother's Day.

Well I think that he is very pretty. I wonder if Peanut could have that. He gets a super thick winter coat. He looks like he has the mange right now. Wishbone and Patty are almost finished shedding. So do you have to give him medicine for this?

Yes, it's year round meds, higher dose in the late summer through about January, then lower maintenance dose the rest of the year. This is what works for him, some are on the same dose year round, with increasing amounts over time.

There are more symptoms than a long curly winter coat that doesn't shed well, but that one is the most recognizable.

After four days of branding calves and trailing cows (pairs) out to pasture; I'm ready to do stuff for me, even if that is just scooping poop in my horse corrals; but first, I must do laundry, I put my last pair of socks on this morning, down to my last bra (it doesn't fit very good) and the rest is even lower. [Typing this reminded me I must do my laundry, now.]

Working on it. Two loads washed, one in the dryer, and now off to have a snack.

Topper had an escapade today... I've been using a mesh panel to block off an area for him to graze, it was only attached at one end, the other just bent (curved) and stuffed along the building wall, well today, he pushed it out til it popped open and went on an excursion across the yard. I'm going to guess he politely said hi to the geldings and mares, cause no one was worked up and he was happily grazing the unfenced area between the gelding pen and mare pasture. I know I want to cover a couple mares this summer, so I've been debating hand breeding or turning him out with the girls, after today's outing I just might try turning him loose with the mares for a month or so. I might just find out he's an idiot if I put him in with the mares, but there is only one way to find out (I'll let Dolly and Caddy out to graze in a different spot, as I don't want them bred). Just thinking.

He was so dang goofy when I hand bred him that first (only) year, but he's 4 years older now, so perhaps wiser, even if he hasn't bred a mare since. He was pretty good out in the open space between the two pens, so maybe I'll try pasture breeding, and just pull out the two I don't want bred.

Glad to hear he is ok and didn't cause too much of a drama on his adventure.

Looking forward to the possible news that there may be some HC mini babies on the way
default_smile.png

Ohhh exciting!!!! Not so much doing laundry, but possible babies
default_smile.png
. Would you mind posting pics of all the possible future mums, and daddy.

I'll try to get on some pictures when I'm on the computer, can't from my kindle.

Ok, not sure if it's going to be a disaster or work out, but I turned Topper out with the girls this morning, evidently no one is in heat right now (except maybe the saddle mare, so need to move the mini pasture, as they currently share a fenceline). Topper was kicking at the mares, I know they need to establish their places, just surprised to see him kick at the mares.

Some pictures (probably will take a couple posts to get them all in).

Before he's turned out with the mares:

June 24, 2015 - before Topper is let loose.jpg

Mares headed out to pasture, Topper can't seem to find the gate:

June 24, 2015 - Topper can't find gate.jpg

Topper talking to Peach (Shayne's big saddle gelding):

June 24, 2015 - topper talking to Peach.jpg

Topper with saddle horses:

June 24, 2015 - with saddle horses.jpg

One more with saddle horses (saddle mare facing away from fence):

June 24, 2015 - Topper meeting the saddle horses.jpg

More pictures from today.

Topper meeting Misty and Showy:

June 24, 2015 - meeting Misty and Showy.jpg

Topper meeting Showy:

June 24, 2015 - Topper meeting Showy.jpg

Topper

June 24, 2015 - Topper on grass.jpg

Topper with the girls

June 24, 2015 - Topper with his girls for the first time.jpg

Weeds so tall you can lose a horse:

June 24, 2015 - tall weeds.jpg

Topper checking out the mare pen before heading out to the pasture;

June 24, 2015 - Topper checking out the mare pen.jpg

He's out with Tana (silver bay dun), Misty (silver black), Bonny (cremello) and Showy (sorrel). the two you might see outside their pasture are Caddy (palomino) and Dolly (cremello), neither are being bred (Topper is too tall for Dolly, and Caddy has been sick).

Dolly might be in, they are in adjoining pens, and she's charging the fence whenever he's near it, and then she'll spin around and flick her tail at him and pee. Topper is 35.75" and Dolly is 33.25" (I think), so he's like 2.5" taller than she is, but finer built than she is (she's a bit of a tank). I've never planned on breeding her as my smaller stallion is her sire, and I just assumed Topper would be too tall, but just wondering... [Topper's dam was like 30 or 31" and his sire 34", so?]

I'm no expert, but I've seen many big time breeders breed taller stallions to shorter mares and not jave a problem. We bred a 28" (chunkier mare) to a 30" refined stallion for next year. We will see. We've also bred a 30" chuncky mare to a 30 1/4" more refined stallion that resulted in a colt that was to mature between 34-36".

Diane,

She's not quite this fat right now, but here's Dolly last summer:

Dolly - July 17, 2014.jpg

The next couple are a couple years old (and I think maybe even fatter than last summer)...

Can you say "wide load":

Dolly - aug 17, 2012 - rear reg pic.jpg

plenty wide in the hips

Dolly - Aug 17, 2012 - fatty.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back