HC Minis - new pics pg 172

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_thumbup.gif
Hard as it is to say goodbye I am sure they will be very happy in their new home
default_yes.gif

but I told him this one was going to a home, not being eaten here! So, it was a sad day when she left, but I remembered how hard it was to "eat our pets" -- so I saved that experience for later in the kids lives!
This is the main reason we don't name our butcher steers anything cuddly, and don't handle them excessively; and hte bottle bums are sold with the rest of the calves in the fall.

And the little guy ate a really good breakfast this morning and ran a circle or two around his stall, so he is definitely on the mend. He got his second antibiotic shot this morning and is now hopefully good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only news on Baybe is that she is getting crankier and more demanding about food, but no shopping that I can see.

The little calf back slid a little bit, but is now coming around. Its hard to remember that he's just a few days old, when he's almost as big as the 3 week old calf; he has to have smaller meals 3x daily instead of two bigger meals. This morning, he drank 3 pints of milk; so very good for him. And, he's running around pretty good, and his crooked leg seems to be straightening some.

The little guy is a twin out of a big cow; the older calf is from an average cow (she's the cow that prolapsed, and after a week we had to put her down). I'll try to remember to get more pics, but while I'm bottle feeding, its hard to get far enough away from them to get a picture as they are usually under foot.

I am so glad that he is doing better. Try telling Baybe No More Food until she goes shopping.
default_smile.png

Ok, something new at dinnertime, Baybe didn't want her treats, only ate one, and then barely touched her dinner (her pen mate is finishing it up - they get the same thing just different amounts). I don't know if this might mean she is getting close, even though she doesn't have much of an udder and doesn't seem to have positioned the foal yet; or if the cows have her this upset. Tonight while I was doing chores the cows were going nuts out in the pasture, a large number of them all ran to the upper creek crossing and were making quite a ruckus. After I finished chores, I walked out there (probably 1/4 mile, maybe more), and didn't see anything and the cows had settled some (and were starting to head back out to graze); but I could hear some coyote yapping further up the coulee in the neighbors pasture, so perhaps they had been in our pasture and the cows gathering scared them off. So, I shut Baybe and Honey up in their shelter, just a gate across the opening, but they have plenty of room as they have access to more than half of the 32x48' cattle shed.

It was unseasonably warm today, thermometer said 80 something, usually its only in the 40s tops in April here, and it was only 60 something yesterday; so perhaps the warm weather put her off her food, but it sure didn't bother anyone else.

After I fed my calves, I went over to the mare's barn and checked on them. Baybe was standing at the back of the shed, and Honey was laying down near the entrance; miffed, I'm sure, about not being able to be out in the paddock and pigging out at the round bale (I did put hay in their indoor feeder and water in a tub).

We'll see what's going on in the morning at breakfast, hopefully, Baybe will be back to her piggy dinnertime self; and it was just tonight ruckus wiht the cows that bothered her.

must have just been the heat and the ruckus the cows made, as all seems normal this morning. I'll know for sure at breakfast, I'm pretty sure she'll eat, as she did take a treat.

Oops, I thought I posted here too, but must have been just the other horse forum. Anyway, Baybe ate most of her breakfast and then polished off Honey's and headed over to the round bale to eat some more. She does look like she's changing shape, not quite dropped, but changing.

So glad that all seems ok today - they do like to worry us dont they!!

Hopefully she will stay on a 'normal' pregnancy course from now on - lots of shopping perhaps????

So not horse related, but here's what I'm doing while I'm waiting...

Prairie Queen - first 3 in block.jpg

There'll be 16 of these little 3" blocks, eight 6" blocks, twenty (or maybe its 24) 9" blocks and one 12" block in this quilt. The peaches will stay the same for all blocks, but I have 3 different greens to use, the same for 3" and 12" and then different for 6" and 9".

A friend put my design into her computer quilt program, and sent me a copy (I have it drawn, but her copy is easier to see the idea).

Chanda\'s design with alternating four-patches for web.jpg

Oh, and I think Baybe is making slow progress. Maybe a little more shape change, not much shopping, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its supposed to be done for the May quilt guild meeting, but I'm not going to make it, as I just decided to actually do it a few days ago. Perhaps it'll be done by the June Meeting, if not, I can always show it at the September meeting (no July or August meetings). I usually stick to larger blocks, but got this in my head, and decided to go for it, if I finish it on time and it turns out nice enough, maybe I'll enter it in the fair.

Well, we'll see how the whole thing turns out before I decide on fair or not, I might get frustrated with these little blocks and the rest may not turn out as nice as the first. I have the pieces cut for the first 10 or so litlte blocks, just another 5 blocks to cut pieces for; then I can move onto the larger blocks, which will be so much easier and go so much faster.

I will, but its slow going, as I can only stand at the cutting board for so long and work on these tiny pieces. Plus I do have other things to do, like come here.
default_whistling.gif
default_wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back