First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting to think she is going to hold this foal forever hahaha....thanks for asking Hayley
default_smile.png
. Well a bit more frustrated today, I think its just the nervousness of waiting and tiredness.. Well everyone has gone back to work for the week so its just me now. I had a friend visit today and she has only ever foaled one foal and that was 17 years ago but she had a look at Molly and she thinks she is another month off at least.. Something about she is not jelly like enough on top of her tail area...Maybe her udders are just teasing us all because they are still getting bigger.I will take more photos for you all tomorrow which will be 2-3 days since last photos.Ok let me know your thoughts. are minis much different from full size horses ???.. Could it take another month to Jelly Up ? Oh and the other things she said was that she is probably not having it because I am putting her into the smaller yard each night and that I should just leave her in the open field and that she would already have chosen her area out there ??....so confused , finding it a bit hard to agree with her but I thought I would get some opinions
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Diane, thanks for all your info, I was starting to think maybe I was being over protective..I agree with birthing problems., everyone I came in contact with, all told me that GOATS just have their babies with no problem and I have had to assist in 2 births due to both being maiden and both taking longer than 20 mins to get the little ones out. That little help definitely helped my goats. I just wasnt sure how different horses especially mini horses would be and I believe if you have any animal especially pregnant ones that you need to educate yourselves as much as possible. I would never try to breed MIni horses as I do not have enough experience or knowledge. I would rather leave it to professional breeders as I think its safer for both mum and foal, but Molly was a rescue maiden mare with a possibility of pregnancy. .. I love her sooooo much and I would hate for anything to happen to her or her little foal. You have really put my mind at ease about penning her as I also thought this was a much safer option and she doesnt mind coming down I just call her name and she comes running. That may have something to do with carrot treats lol... but she doesnt complain when she is in there and doesnt run out in the mornings she just plods along eating grass...I dont know about breeding dates due to being a rescue I do know however that I bought her around the first week of August and the lady I got her from said she had her approx 4 months (april), she said she was running with a stallion for 4 months prior to her buying her., she onsold her due to her nastiness ( none of which she shows to us anymore. This only lasted a couple of weeks and now she is a big sook ) ... I will take more photos tomorrow.. these dates would make her at least 10 months but up to 14 months... hahaha a bit long I know.. hope this info helps

I have a huge ask.. Is there anyone out there who has pictures they could upload for me of

1. Wax on Teats

2. Red Vulva ( ready for Birth )

3. The V position

4. Mucus plug ( hardly likely I know )

haha Funny requests I know but it would help me greatly if I knew what I was looking for.. thanks in advance

From what I've read the jelly butt is the same as everything else. Textbook mares will start to get it weeks before, like bagging up etc but some can get it the day they foal. This is what I've read on other foaling sites anyways.

Thanks hayley, I think that"s whats happening I mean Molly is getting really soft around her rear end, its just above her tail thats not too soft yet.. Also in response to Diane's question about the tail resistance.. she is still resistant but not as much as 3 weeks ago. Nothing overnight last night going out to take photo's of her today.... Ok here we go

Udder pics DSCF1297.JPGDSCF1291.JPGDSCF1293.JPG

Hoohah and rear end pics .. as you can see in these pics she is now rubbing so hard she has a bald spot on her butt now
default_sad.png
DSCF1292.JPGDSCF1294.JPGDSCF1295.JPG Is this the puffiness we are talking about around her butt ? As for her Vulva she let me touch it but when I went to look inside for colour she was NO WAY !!!!!...lol

Side Shots DSCF1290.JPGDSCF1296.JPG

Face shot although she looks sad today, but she is still sooooo cute
default_smile.png
DSCF1289.JPG

OK what do we all think today
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
yep she definitely has a bigger udder even this evening... I will see if its obvious tomorrow and try and post more photos...do we really think she could last another month or so yet... Poor Miss Molly....

ok well todays update Still nothing.. I have decided since I am here on my own I really do need some sleep as Molly has decided to keep this little one in as long as possible...Her yard isnt that far from my bedroom window so hopefully she will make some noise and I will hear her...not much change in her today . Udder seems a bit bigger this morning but thats it... After getting the link from jess regarding my questions I am alot more confident I know what I am looking for now...I think we might be a ways off yet...Its so hard to predict when we really dont know the dates..

You poor thing, you must be exhausted! Just a suggestion regarding sleep, certainly not foolproof but needs must sometimes. If, when you let her out in the morning, there are normal piles of droppings in her stall and she looks quite happy, then grab a couple of hours sleep straight away - if this is possible for you. Years of experience have shown me that if all is normal/quiet first thing in the morning, then you are unlikely to see a foal before lunchtime! Also, for some reason you are less likely to fall into a deep long sleep at this time of day! As I said, nothing is 100% certain or safe, but worth a try to help you keep going?

Thanks Anna and yes thats what I have been doing.. I figure most common is overnight, or after lunch as you say and its so hot here at the moment that sleep is very light through the mornings ...lol... Still nothing this aftrenoon but I must admit I was pretty happy when Robyn had her little girl today ... Yay Robin .. Now hopefully the others will get moving
default_smile.png

Just thought I would give everyone a quick update...It is probably wishful thinking but I thought I would tell you all anyway.. Molly is really grumpy and starting to pace and her poops are getting really sloppy...hmmm.. is she just tricking me again ????.....Another long night I would say .. I will keep you all updated
default_smile.png

I am soooo devastated right now.. Molly broke her waters at 10pm and after 50 mins she was unable to get more than a foot out, After being told by my local vet that it could take hours for her to foal and not to worry and that she advised I call her back in a couple of hours if she still couldnt get it out....aarrgghh so mad right now . I started freaking out I had tried to move this foal for over half an hour but could not find a second leg..I live in a remote area and couldnt get anyone to come out and all the videos in the world didnt help me
default_sad.png
...Horse friends of mine came over at 11.00pm and after they couldnt find a leg either.. I rang my vet again begging her to come out but she said give it another hour at least and then call her and it would take her another hour and a half to get out here.. Finally I managed to convince another out of area vet to come out even though he lived an hour and a half away too and I am not his client..He was lovely after trying to talk us through the birthing he said he definitely needed to come out.. When he came out Molly was so stressed out she was hardly breathing and I thought I would lose her too...He explained after another hour of trying to get the foal out that he believed the foal had already died and she was quite majorly deformed, as her head was really rigid and we couldnt move it to get her out .She was a filly and she was beautiful she was dark grey/ blackish... The only way at that stage to save Molly was to remove the foals head first as it was grossly deformed and making the foal stuck...Although this did not seem to hurt Molly and the foal was already deceased Molly was so bad the vet had no choice.This was the most horrific thing I have ever seen done but I am so glad that he was able to save Molly...xx Molly is soooo sad tonight...Her Uterus came out with the foals body and the membranes were bad apparently, so again showing the foal probably died a couple of hours before.. Not really sure what all this means. Nathan the vet put the Uterus all back and now I am watching Molly every 30 mins to make sure she is ok.. The vet did say that all the placenta was out though...I dont even know if this is too graphic for this site but I have to tell someone and warn others this sort of thing happens.. I will bury the Foal in the morning we have removed her from the pen for now and put her in a sealed container for dignity...I will keep you all updaed with Molly's progress Please pray for her to get well .I couldnt lose her too she is my little buddy and she struggled for soo long tonight to have nothing to benefit her....Thanks again everyone for your continued support and knowledge...I am sorry I couldnt bring myself to take photos of the filly I have named her "STAR" as she was so beautiful...xx RIP little one

Oh no I am just so sorry. Just understand that the foal was deceased and it sounds as if there was nothing you could have done.
default_pray.gif
for Molly and also for your healing too.
default_pray.gif

But I will add that right now I REALLY dont like your vet.... several hours... even though the water had broke... NO!!! Sounds like foal was already deceased so nothing could have helped her but as far as Im concerned Molly was put in more danger because of your vet not wanting to come out immediately! Not your fault at all!!!
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif
More prayers for Molly. Please get better
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back