First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree and there will be severe words with my vet clinic regarding there after hours service...I pay alot of money to my vet and pay immediately, never on account. This was disgusting... Poor Little Molly. But I have to be thankful she is still alive and fighting well and thankful to an amazing vet who didnt know me who came out anyway... Just to let you all now too, Just as a matter of interest I suppose. Molly didnt really get runny poops till not long before her waters broke , her teats never waxed up and her tail area wasn't like Jelly. The foal was fully formed although Deformed so I am not sure if she went early , the foal died and then she went into labour.....just not sure so pleeeaassseee anyone doing this please watch for every sign . Had I not been going out every hour of the night Molly could very well have died. The vet said it was getting him out when I did that saved her life.. OK well although I will be watching Molly every 30 mins till daylight and probably through the day tomorrow just to make sure she is ok. I am going to say goodnight for now... Thans again I would not have even known to do anything had I not been on this site and had all your advice...

So sorry for your loss. Prayers for Miss Molly. sounds like the foal could have been a dwarf, if it was deformed; I'm no expert just speculating on what you've said.

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your lose, and for poor little Molly. I've had to bury a couple of little precious angels and it never gets better, haunts me to this day all the little ones lost. Everyone is here for you and Molly. Thank goodness she is still here with you, after the first vet let her go so long. Heart is hurting for you.

I am so sorry for your loss. Every person with a mare in foals fears this. That's why I don't normally bred. Too afraid of a bad outcome. You must be totally devestated.

I am so sorry for your loss. Prayers for Molly and you as well. I am so glad you found another vet and he was able to save Molly. Sorry the other vet was so wrong.

Oh Kehren! I am so so sorry! What a stupid, stupid, stupid vet! So sorry this has happened to you. Thinking of you two xxx

So sorry for your loss
default_sad.png
This is the type of thing that scares the living daylights out of me.

Oh Kehran, what can I say. I'm so so sorry this has happened to you and Molly. As for that vet, well he/she should be struck off - dont forget to send the bill to them for the other vet's visit and the after care.

Sending you ((((HUGS)))) and will be saying prayers for our sweet Molly's recovery, bless her.
default_pray.gif

I am so sorry for you and Molly. You did everything you could, what a great Momma you are. I hope Molly continues to improve. Again, so sorry, Hugs.

Well I managed to get about 3 hours sleep this morning and I woke up hoping this was all just a bad dream...But reality is that it isnt..Molly is doing ok this morning. She isnt doing much just sitting in her shelter although it is hot...Thankyou to everyone for your kind words and support. The tears havent stopped yet and probably wont for a while . I am a big sook really but I am so glad Molly is still ok...I will give further updates as the days go by. As for Chandab's comment on being a Dwarf it is possible, her legs were just all growing the wrong way, one was bent up and couldnt be straightened and her neck the vet said was bent down to its chest and couldnt be moved...To Dianne and Anna's comment I agree the vet should be struck off. I will be having words with them today and putting in a formal complaint. As for them paying the bills I doubt that will happen..Dianne as for the stitch, he didnt put any stitches in and she hasnt had any troubles yet. He said she was super tight in that area probably from being so young. It just goes to show people should not breed unless they know what they are doing. He was an amazing vet. He arrived at my property at 1.30am and didnt leave till 4.00am...He stayed with me for a cuppa and explained there was nothing I could have done to save this little girl but my actions did save Molly. He has called again this morning to see how she is doing and he said although his clinic is an hour away he is on call for me should her condition change... My Hubby is coming home early today to bury Star, and to see how Molly is. He is equally as devastated.I will continue to watch this forum for all the other mummas out there and i wish you all luck.

I am so very sorry that this had to happen. Thank goodness Molly is alright, and your little "Star" is now a real star! Sending big hugs to you and Molly, keep us posted on how you are both holding up!

If he's taking on new clients, it sounds like you've found a new vet; I wouldn't let this one go. [i live in the middle of nowhere, and only recently did a decent vet come to our area, two actually; both are about an hour away, each have their own clinics in different towns. And, of course my horses have tried them both out.]

If he's taking on new clients, it sounds like you've found a new vet; I wouldn't let this one go. [i live in the middle of nowhere, and only recently did a decent vet come to our area, two actually; both are about an hour away, each have their own clinics in different towns. And, of course my horses have tried them both out.]
How right you are and yes I have several animals and they dont lack anything. If they need it they get it. I have taken all his details and YES he is definitely going to be my new vet. He clearly does his job through love for animals and not just the pay check...He was alot cheaper than my vet would have been too. NOt that we wouldnt have paid any amount of money to help Molly and "Star". I pay my vet alot of money to keep 5 goats,3 large horses,1 mini, 2 dogs and a cat in good health. I have never asked for an account or not had the money to pay. Therefore with this in mind and the disgrace that happened last night I will NEVER use their services again . Although it may have been their after hours service there is NO EXCUSE !!!!

Still thinking of you x
Thanks Hayley for everything xxxx

Thinking of you and Molly this morning and sending more prayers and ((((HUGS))))

Condolences from here in NC too. It took me a day of lurking before I could post, since I want to say something to make it better...and I can't. I'm so sorry your little Star is gone, however, I'm glad Molly is recovering. I'll keep you in prayers here..Julie

I'm so glad Molly is doing better. The new vet sounds lke a gem -- especially after calling to see how she's doing.

Now our baby Rue will have a forever friend!

I had a baby once who I lost through the same vile positioning. I was fortunate to have an equine vet in attendance after the first 10 minutes, but unfortunately, I lost the mare as well. Baby wasn't a dwarf, but was in such a position that after more than hour's work there was no way to budge that baby, and because of the size of momma we could not even manuever to disassemble baby for delivery. Momma got very exhausted with us working on her, and looking in her eyes, I just knew she wanted to go, and not go through any more. So, I had her humanely euthanized. We opened momma to see what had happened, and found baby in a complete head down position with legs entangled -- and really too big for momma to have delivered unless baby had been in the perfect position. And this was a mare who had foaled several times on her own, and done extremely well. You just never know.

My heart goes out to you. I'm so glad Molly survived her ordeal, and will soon be back to her usual self. Sending lots of {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Thanks Diane, this sounds very similar to what happened with MOlly. She was so close to the same fate with her hardly breathing, she was just giving up. It took 4 adults to be able to stand her up beacuse she was so weak, I was just terrified we would lose her too. I just cant stop the tears. Molly is still extremely swollen in her rear end but the vet assures me that this is just due to the trauma she suffered and that he hopes as each day goes by the swelling will go down and she should get better. I am just disgusted that a known breeder who originally put her in foal at the age of 2 , knowing the risks would do this to her. I am so sorry for the loss of your mare. I am very thankful for the vet for saving MOlly.xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Molly is doing a bit better today she has been up and eating and drinking. She still sits and lays alot more than stands but the vet assures me thats fine. He has again called me today to see how she is going . He is just amazing. Molly is still massively swollen in her rear end area and he assures me that this is due to her massive trauma and that the swelling should subside a little each day. She has been weeing and very little poops which is also apparently a good sign. She look so sad. I dont know whether she understands what has happened but she definitely knows she is very sore. She is still very loving though and just wants loving. I will update you all again later..

Latest posts

Back