First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont mean to hijack this thread but was hoping some of you aunties in different time zones might could help someone out in Florida. She is on marestare.com , Conder minis. It is a very long story but I am asking for anyone to help please keep an eye out for a bearded man in their barn. Their mare is due anytime now but if you could also try to watch even the outskirts of her stall for a man who seems to sometimes show up around 3-4am her time. If you go to the main part of LB miniature horses forum someone has posted a little info I believe it says something like HORSE ABUSER IN FLORIDA. I feel so bad for her.
thats so horrible !!! HIjack my page all you like.. I hope this guy gets caught very soon ...

Ditto Diane!! I wouldn't be watching for him on marestare if it were me, I'd have a whole posse of helpers/watchers around the place!!

Hi Bonny still nothing ..... My hubby thinks its a Phantom pregnancy ...lol... I have tried to explain to him that Phantoms dont kick and roll around ...hahahahahaha I have put down some saw dust which I got from the local produce which apparently they use for bedding as its very soft and warm, rather than hay as most of the hay around here they will eat as its high in Lucerne .... I was surprised because I thought it would be really sharp and uncomfortable but its not it's warm and soft...So hopefully Molly will get the picture and get it going ...hhahaha... Still doing hourly checks on her through the night till 5.am and then my daughter watches her while I get a couple of hours sleep.....Hopefully I will get a proper nights sleep soon ..
default_pray.gif
default_please.gif
default_impatient.jpg

Nana and Kate still look happy to keep you waiting...hahhaha...everyone n my home including my visitors haha are watching the both of them now all hoping one of them will give birth while they are visiting ...lol

Sorry Im on holidays and have terrible internet so I've missed quite a lot
default_sad.png
but wow her udder is looking very exciting!
default_smile.png
can't wait for he baby

Ok Photos from this afternoon, we are still having alot more movement at night from her belly..
default_smile.png
... but no movement from Miss Molly, Her udders still look the same or maybe a little fuller but no massive change I dont think...Cant check for milk as she isnt too keen on me touching her udders still.. She is really good with me touching all of her belly and over her butt and tail area but still not the udders.. I have her latest Wormer as they are all due again this week. Should I worm her now or just wait till the foal is born ???...she is regulaly wormed every 8 weeks on the dot and she is the only animal in her pen and yard
default_smile.png

This is her new bed with the sawdust mixture put in the back half as per your advice...lol thanks againDSCF1275.JPG

then Molly and her udders DSCF1276.JPGDSCF1277.JPGDSCF1278.JPGDSCF1279.JPGDSCF1280.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Kehran a word of warning - your sawdust will make a nice deep comfy base for Molly to lay on, but you will have to cover it with a good layer of straw or hay before she foals. The particles in it will not only stick to the wet foal, but can be extremely dangerous to the new baby as they will get 'drawn' up into its nasel passages and into its eyes, not just in the first moments after the birth but also at anytime after particularly when baby is lurching around and falling over when trying to take its first steps. Also think about your new baby lying flat out sleeping with an eye in contact with the sawdust or curled up resting with its nose buried in the bedding.

Love what you have done with Molly's shelter by the way and glad to hear that you are getting some help with the watching 'duties'!
default_yes.gif

LOL!! We posted at the same time! Molly's udder looks great, she's almost ready to go! And the shelter looks great - just make sure that you have plenty of extra bedding available to cover the floor right up to the 'door' once you get the door organised. Bedding will be needed over the whole area during and after foaling, or Molly will drag what is there all over the place which will cause a reduction in depth.

REally ????/... OMG thats so frustrating as I actually did ask the same things and they said no that will e fine ...aarrgghh... ok well I will make some calls now and figure out where I can get some straw or really basic hay from.. Its not the price that bothers me its the fact that Molly may eat all the bedding first ...lol... OK next update will be when I have done this...Also did you notice in the bottom photo she has veins sticking out ,is that normal ??

Hayley and Jade do you have any suggestions for australian hay for bedding down that might help me???pleeeeaassseee... Not getting alot of local help as they are still saying the sawdust is fine

Here's a pic of one of my girls a few hours after she foaled taken in my old barn with our 'home made' stabling, showing how we bank up the front 'walls' (gates and hurdles so the mares can see their friends) after foaling. The mare had trampled down the 'side' banks during foaling, which we rebuilt for the safety of the foal shortly after the pic was taken - but we were doing our 'drinking cuppa's' and keeping watch from a rear corridor at the time, waiting to see the foal establish the drinking habit!

IMG_1760.JPG

Veins in that area are quite normal - she's looking just perfect!! Sorry about the bedding - good luck with finding something that will work as a 'cover'.
default_yes.gif

The stall looks fab very inviting and i agree with Anna a covering of deep straw would be a real benefit to both mum and baby..her udder looks great deff going in the right direction..how exciting
default_aktion033.gif

hahaaha, thats ok I am very appreciative of all your help. My biggest problem is I live in a country town of QLD where 99% of the time foals are born in a field on their own
default_sad.png
... so when I ask about these things they most of the time think I am mad and should just leave them alone to foal naturally.. BUt in saying that I have heard of horses and cows and goats dying during the birthing process amd that would absolutely shatter me.. These are not just animals to me they are my family and personal pets. I dont sell them , make money off them, or work them they are simply my friends and I want to do the very best for them .. I am working at trying to get some older hay that might work and the lucerne would be too dry to eat .. I will take photos when I am done and let you know.... Your bedding area is massive so now I know I will do my best to improve her area...
default_smile.png

I put down just straw which I got from 'Sydney equestrian supplies' it was really soft and I don't think it was too expensive cannot remember lol

ok thanks Jade I am in Qld bundaberg area but I will try and get some from bundy which is an hour away

That's a good idea my foal and mare both loved laying in it to, even though she decided not to foal on it haha

hahahaha I know molly thinks the bare dirt near the front fence is a much better place to lay at night.. But daytime she is in their alot to stay out of the sun

Straw like Jade said. We can get it from Norco or CRT, should be an equivilent up there. Just tell them you want it for gardening as weed matting and they might leave you alone on the birthing opinions lol.

Great advice hayley and yes we do have a Norco Rural up here so I will get some tomorrow thanks again everyone for your ongoing help

Latest posts

Back