First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kehranc

Reaction score
Hi guys I am looking for some advice regarding my mini. This is my first Mini. When we looked at her she did everything we were told to watch out for and not to buy if she did it.. eg.. Kicked Bit was Pregnant especially maiden mare, losing fur.. Well I just couldnt leave her there she wasnt being treated well and we bought her for her own safety. anyway since we have bought her home she is lovely she has not done any of the above things and she has settled in nicely. The problem is she has been getting fatter by the day and I am convinced she is pregnant. The vet said he wasnt sure but the farrier agreed with me...I am not sure how to tell how far she is or what to do to help her with the birth.. I have followed the pregnancy of Cocoa and now Kate but I think my mare is bigger than this .. Any advice would be great..I will put a couple of photos up and see what you all think..DSCF1043.JPG. getting very nervous

DSCF1043.JPGDSCF1030.JPGDSCF1031.JPGDSCF1037.JPGDSCF1038.JPGDSCF1040.JPG

Well her udders certainly look more impressive than my Bindi's and her tummy looks round enough. Cute little girl too
default_smile.png
Are those your horses in the background?

Hey there, thanks for responding this is my first post and I wasnt sure if anyone would actually see it.. Yes they are my Larger horses..
default_smile.png
... 2 standard breds ( rescue horses ) , and the lightest one is a Quarter horse x pony... they love the mini over the fence but thats as close as we let them get ..lol... how far is BIndi meant to be ????...we are still trying to confirm pregnancy in MOlly

She was running with Wazza from Jan - April of this year so she is due between now and March. Not looking close enough yet, her udders are rather dismal, but hopefully soon she'll start growing them for me!

well I look forward to more pictures
default_smile.png
... I love this site people are very informative and its great to compare mares in pregnancy as they seem to be very different
default_smile.png
... it says you are from Australia, I am in qld , do you know of any pregnancy tests available here and also is it still safe to worm her ??

Thanka heaps for your advice..I have to go out for now but I will be definitely checking back to see what the "Aunties " say ...hahahaha.....thanks everyone in advance.. chat soon and I will be watching your little Bindi

Hi and welcome from the other side of the World (UK)! What a cute little girl - a lucky one too, I'm so glad you decided to rescue her. Now we know that she is Molly, but who are you? I'm Anna by the way.

I endorse what Diane says above - pictures taken from low down at her level, not from you standing up - lots of other pics and info about your other animals - any extra info you have on Molly - dont panic, we will do our best to get you a cute and healthy little baby on the ground.
default_yes.gif

I agree to worm her with an Ivermectin wormer as soon as possible and be ready to give her another dose soon after she foals (we will explain more about this later). Word of warning, it is not a good idea to give Quest (Equest) wormer to minis and I would avoid Zimectin Gold too, also no Bute - use another pain killer if it is ever necessary.

Again welcome - and yes, I do think that she is in foal, and judging from the udder pctures you might not have that long to wait if she is a maiden mare - weeks rather than months .......................... maybe!!

WELCOME to our "Nutty Nursery" !!! I'm "Diane" by the way (I always forget to say who I am
default_whistling.gif
). We are so glad you joined all us "Aunties" who just love to pass the time watching "our" girls as they grow. We promise NO attitudes -- we don't allow them here. Just good fun with good friends, and we're here to answer ANY questions you may have -- no matter how they sound -- we are a wonderful group who have multiple years of experience, and what one of us hasn't experienced, you can bet someone else did and can help out. No question is too silly to ask, and we are here to help you in any way we can.

First, your question about wormers -- I would suggest using an Ivermectin wormer for your girl -- it's safe for pregnant mares, and certainly feel free to worm her according to your regular schedule throughout her pregnancy (if she is indeed pregnant).

She's a pretty girl, for sure. Thank you for the pictures. The "KEY" to taking mare pictures is to take them "down" at her level, by squatting down when you take them. I would suggest you also try taking one right down at her level from the side, so we can get a full view of her and her tummy -- so we are looking right across at her. The one that you took (another view we all love) is a bit suggestive -- since she is not "symetric" which suggests there is a baby in there! She looks good and round, which is another great sign. I can't wait to see more pictures of her!! How tall is she, by the way.....and I think you said she is a maiden mare? With maidens, it's sometimes a bit hard to tell pregnancy -- since they are not "stretched out" and can hold their tummies up tight -- where an experienced brood mare is somewhat stretched out and saggy sometimes, making babies more "visible" ...if you know what I mean.

So how old is she? Do you know the time she was with a stallion -- do you have an idea of dates? That will help us guage when she could be due, and let us know what we should be seeing.

Please tell us more about you and your other horses as well! We love chatting and seeing all your horses....and dogs....and cats....and goats....and cows.....well, you get the idea!

Also, don't do any panicing -- I'm referring to your other post on the other thread. We are here to help you get a HEALTHY baby SAFELY on the ground, and we have plenty of time to be here for you -- so NO worries !!

Again, WELCOME!!
Thanks for all your info and questions Dianne. I will get some more photos in those positions tomorrow and put them straight up . I have heard of Ivermectin and I can get it locally so thanks for that too. We bought her in Early august. The owners said they had her for approx 4 months and prior to that was when she was running with a Stallion ... Thats as much as I know. They were pretty vague..So I am not sure exactly how long they are pregnant for but she would have to be at least 9 months ?..The farrier said she was definitely pregnant and towards the end.. The vet said he couldnt be certain ..Thanks again for your help..

Thanks Anna, I have decided to reply down here as I responded to Dianne and it has copied all her info.. My name is Kehran by the way, thanks for asking. I am so glad for all this help as I am very nervous and this site has been amazing so I joined up yesterday and after hearing from you all today I am soooo glad I did..Now I am feeling much better.

AS for my other babies I have 2 standard breds , 1 Quarterhorse x pony and she is a handful ut very lovely and is setttling but she is only 2 at xmas ..lol.. We have 5 goats , 2 dogs and a cat whooo... a real little Zoo. I originally wanted 2 minis so Molly had company but after seeing her grow and expecting she may be pregnant I thought I would just hold off..

Also I regularly worm her 6-8 weekly usually 8 weekly along with my other horses, as she is in a pen on her own she will be due again on the 1st of January.

I really appreciate all your help guys, and thankyou for welcoming me to this great little family

Last edited by a moderator:
If you worm with Ivermectin then 8 weeks is the normal schedule and there is nothing to be gained by shortening the time, or worming more often, in fact you could actually help building a resistance if you do. A lot of people worm immediately after foaling but this is not something I see as necessary- if the horse is properly wormed then you should not need to do it, basically. I agree with the others that your mare is lucky, I also think she is pregnant- the way the belly is tight and hanging is very telling for me. I would not even hazard a guess as to when she is due as mares tend to foal when they are ready, but if you can get some idea from her previous owners it would be great. You will need to set up somewhere for her to foal, a stall , enclosed, of some kind and the bigger the better. She does look nice, how big is she, and do you know her breeding??

I agree, looks like you might have a foal soon!

Hi Kehran, My names Jade and WELCOME
default_smile.png
you've certainly come to the right place, all these Aunties are wonderful and extremely helpful!!
default_smile.png
I read that you followed Cocoa's pregnancy i hope its helped some lol

Just in case you missed it heres a little thing i put together (bear in mind it was Cocoa's 4th pregnancy)

Cocoa Pregnancy Journey.jpg

Your little mare is gorgeous and is looking good
default_smile.png
Do you have any photos of her pretty face? (sorry if i missed them lol)

And lastly Goodluck
default_smile.png

Edited: I just realised you were concerned with how big your mare is compared to Cocoa, so i though i would share a 'big' photo of Cocoa. This was taken exactly a week before she popped
default_smile.png
(im not sure how big your mare is, hard to tell from pictures. But hopefully this might help ease some of the worry
default_smile.png
) Cocoa's belly was ALL baby, the difference in size after she gave birth to Koora was incredible. She looked as if she had never been pregnant lol

337 days (6).jpg

Well thanks again for all your replies. I am not sure hot to do her heasurements or breeding as this is my first mini. I really dont even know how to do it on big horses hahaha... But if you let me know I am happy to measure her. It would be nice to know exact size and breeding for myself. Anyway I tool more photos this morning I hope they help. She is such a pretty girl and she is very co-operative when it comes to photos...lol

DSCF1063.JPGDSCF1055.JPGDSCF1057.JPGDSCF1061.JPGDSCF1060.JPGDSCF1065.JPGDSCF1067.JPG

whoa, look at those udders! From what I've learnt so far, I'm betting on a baby within a month.

ok for those of you who have requested photos of Molly's pretty face here you go... She seems a bit sad today but I think its the heat.. We are in a really dry spell in Qld at the moment
default_sad.png
...but she is still a cutie....also more belly shots lol... Well thats what I thought ging off other pregnancy photos but the vet a month ago couldnt even say she was pregnant .:/...it looks pretty obvious to me haha

DSCF1069.JPGDSCF1070.JPGDSCF1076.JPGDSCF1072.JPGDSCF1073.JPG

wow poor cocoa she was huge !!!!... I hope Molly doesnt get much bigger poor thing being her first and she is anly 2.5 - 3 years old
default_sad.png
.... but I must admit I am very excited to be a Nanna
default_smile.png
<3

Aww shes lil cutie and she is looking quite round
default_smile.png
my guess is that she is pregnant going off them pictures. How exciting for you!!

Have you had a look at Robins pregnancy thread? Because she is also a maiden and was even rounder than Cocoa and she still hasnt popped.

Did the previous owners tell you anything about the stallion? his height? colour?

ooo...looks like a baby soon! Pretty girl too! I was just about to ask if we know anything about the stallion, but Jade 10 beat me to it!

Latest posts

Back