First time pregnancy,..not sure how far she is

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So glad Molly is pulling through. Poor little girl xxxx Big hugs to you

I am just disgusted that a known breeder who originally put her in foal at the age of 2 , knowing the risks would do this to her.
Some people just aren't born with brains, and its very unfortunate when they decide to own animals.

So glad that Molly is feeling a bit better - what a wonderful new vet you have there. Will be continuing with my prayers for Molly, please give her a gentle hug from me and tell her that we are all rooting for her, bless her.
default_hypocrite.gif

Hey there, I have just put MOlly to bed for the night. She is still really sluggish but she did manage to do a poop today. Not very big but more than this morning. I am feeling a bit better this afternoon. I had a big spring clean and tried to clear my head. I will be sad for a very long time I think but life goes on as they say. I would once again like to thank you all for your advice and support from day 1 with Miss Molly...I will send another update tomorrow.. Good luck and happy foaling

Oh you poor love- I have only just read this and my heart is breaking for you. If it is any consolation at all for you, I think most if not all of us have been through this and know what you are going through. We need a "My Vet is an idiot" thread where we can vent- I have to tell you now that MOST Vets are not, most Vets are like the one you found, and are caring and thoughtful, As to the first one- once you are all sorted out and feeling OK and you know Molly is OK I think you should sit down and send in a formal letter of complaint against her- this is not legal action, she will never know who complained, it is confidential, but, for the sake of the next foal this moron kills with her ridiculous advice, you need to consider doing it.

The exact almost to the word, same thing happened to a friend of mine, and after an hour of sitting watching, with a very experienced horse person with her, she finally rang me and I hit the roof! After the waters break you have 20 minutes (and I time it) before you start, seriously, worrying. At that point I would be calling my Vet to warn her she may need to come. If after another ten minutes I have not got the foal I get her out. By this time I am usually resigned to losing the foal; I have never had the Vet to aid me with a live delivery.

Your Vet wants shooting, yes, but the other one deserves a medal, so we do have to remember that these things balance themselves out.

My friend demanded her mare go into the hospital- her Vet did not want to come out as he was tired and had not seen his kids all day - this is SO not the mare's problem!!- anyway, they managed to sedate the mare, hoist her up and get the foal out- he was long gone, but the mare, at least, was OK. She went home and gelded her stallion, she had had enough. Like you she had been up for weeks and watched her every moment, the fact that she had sat and watched whilst the foal dies was the last straw for her.

There was nothing you could have done that you did not do, be completely assured of that.

Nothing.

It takes the wind out of you, I know, we all know.

Let me tell you that the day I take losing a foal in my stride is the day I give up breeding.

If you do not care there is no point in doing it.

Molly, in all probability, has no idea what happened and no idea what she has lost, just bear in mind that horses live in the moment, not the past or the future as we do.

Just care for the mare and concentrate on her, don't dwell on what might have been. If sometime in the future, you decide you want to have another go at this, there is no reason at all why things should go as they did, again.

Your new Vet sounds like a keeper- has he put Molly on antibiotics?

If she is being fed a little vegetable oil in her feed will help with the poop.

We are all thinking of you and I am SO sorry you had to go through this.

HI Jane,

Thanks very much for your kind words and again your support...where do I start well firstly you are right I do intend to write a formal complaint to my vet, their after hours service and the vet association in Australia as this is inexcusable..I undertsand that nothing would have saved this little gilly but I almost lost MOlly for absolutely no reason other than the vet on aftre hours couldnt be bothered coming out and then insisted I was over-reacting and Molly may take hours to foal. Due to this site, friends and other research I know that you have 20 mins from waters breaking to get the foal safely out..I was so mad with her at the time and although my friends came straight away and werent able to help the foal or Molly at least they came. As for the New Vet He was amazing and is definitely going to be my permanent vet for the rest of my animals now. He even had a cuppa with me afterwards to assure me there was nothing more I could have done. He has also rang me 3 times since to check up on Molly. I was expecting a massive bill and rightly so but he didnt even do that.. My vet would have charged me more..My concerns now lay with Molly. Due to her trauma and damage the vet thinks its not advisable to breed her again and I would never take the chance of that ever happening again.. She is far too important to me. I am not a breeder I am just a pet lover..I will eventually get another mini as a companion but thats a long way away right now she just needs my attention. Yes the vet has her on antibiotics, and she is still being closely watched..Unfortunately there are alot of rescue minis here as people buy them and then get bored so I will rescue another one in the future for her but it will probably be a gelding as I am too nervous to get another mare and take the risk she may be in foal., but as I say a long way away yet . For now i will just enjoy the little ones on here and pray they all have safe deliveries..I didnt know about the vegetable oil so thanks for that I will put a little in her feed tomorrow . Do you have any suggestions as to how often and for how long I should do this?......I will keep you all updated and once again thankyou. The support from all of you guys has been amazing and I am massively grateful...xx

I'm so happy to hear that the vet, new one, has put her on antibiotics. It may take a while but they will really help. I lost a foal a couple of years ago to a dystocia, and it caused a pinch to the mares bladder. She was peeing blood and trying to hold it. After she was put on meds. it cleared up just fine. Glade to hear also that Molly is feeling better.

I just caught up with the thread, what you went through is just awful, I feel so sorry for you and Molly. I will keep praying for you and Molly and also that she continues to get better.

Would love an update on our sweet Molly - still saying prayers and sending healing thoughts in her direction.

Hello everyone, been really busy around the property.. Molly is doing really well. Her Hoohah swelling is finally reducing and although she has lost alot of weight the vet says its normal baby loss and probably a bit of stress so we have slightly increased her feed but he says she is doing really well considering her ordeal...I will take a photo of her tomorrow so you all see how she is doing . Thanks again for everyones best wishes and Jade, yes I am very sad about the ordeal but Miss Molly is ok and thats the most important thing to me now..So I better go check the other posts and see if we have anymore bubbas...Looking forward to all your pics.. Happy and Safe foaling Aunties..xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update, you know how we all worry about our wonderful ladies and Molly has become so special to us.
default_yes.gif

Such a sad story to read..thankfully Molly has you to LOVE and care for her now she needs you.. I cant think of anything to say that hasnt already been said accept you did your best..well done for being there for her..God Bless you

Thanks Jess and yes she seems to be on the right road to recovery ...Phew !!!!!!!....I dont know how the rest of you guys do it....but thanks for everyones support..xx

Now Miss Molly is feeling a bit better, dont forget to give her lots of hugs from all us Aunties!
default_yes.gif
default_hypocrite.gif

Well I have given her plenty of hugs today she is due for a nice wash and then new photos will be up...xx

hi,i have just read this hole thread from page 1 and was getting very excited for you ...i really am so sorry for your loss

huge big hugs XXXXXXXXXX

Thanks lucky Lodge....I suppose I knew after reading up that things could go wrong with her being so young But I still held onto hope it would all be ok .. But I am so glad I found Molly and was able to be with her through this whole ordeal. She is finally starting to seem a bit happier and she looks so much healthier I just can't believe how much she has improved over the week.. She really is one of my best buddy's. I thought after all this that I would never rescue a pregnant mare again as the heartbreak was so raw but ya know seeing all of these other babies and starting to realise that sometimes things just aren't meant to be I wouldnt rule it out.. Right now I need Molly to be at her best thats my commitment to her but one day maybe this time next year if there is another mare that needs rescuing maybe I will try again . The unfortunate thing is there are so many mini's over here that get pregnant and then get deserted that I feel an obligation to help them.. Maybe not as young next time, but I figure pregnant mares are just less likely to be rescued and I just dont have the heart to write them off...I am so happy for everyone on here and watching all these mares and foals and all the support I have received is just amazing and Molly and I will be forever grateful...xx

Thanks Diane, once again you have made me feel alot better.
default_smile.png
....I agree about the vet and unfortunately I also know these things can happen, and as I say I havent given up just got to toughen up a bit ...lol....Pictures of Molly over the weekend I promise..xx

Latest posts

Back