first mare up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup the screen is just black, the time counter is ticking away just like the video feed was working, but i see nothing.
default_sad.png

I got really excited when I logged on and saw a little black figure in the stable with her...........................turns out it was a little black cat
default_wub.png

Shadowoaks,

My screen is black, except there is a itty bitty picture in the top middle of screen that is your mare, but it is very,very tiny, not enough to see what is there except I can see a black & white spot. What could be wrong? Is it with your camera or my computer. When I got to another farm, theirs comes up fine. Thanks for any help, I have been watching everyday and don't want to miss the birth.

I THINK SHE'S GETTIN CLOSE GUYS!
default_biggrin.png

THERES SOMEONE IN THE STALL WITH HER AND SHES TAIL SWISHING ALOT AND KICKIN AT HER BELLY!

After watching you Lacey for days I think we need to change it from MareStare to Kitty Kindergarten.....they sure are more exciting than Miss Lacey has been. LOL

She does look so uncomfortable...maybe tonight....how is your weather..I'll cross my fingers that it will warm up alittle for you guys!!

Well folks, lacey is weird today. i checked her this morning and she had no change at all. so this afternoon i put her out so i could muck her stall out and put new bedding in. she didnt do much outside .. i put her back in and usually she goes straight for her hay.... but today she didnt. i thought that was odd, so i lifted her tail ... NO RESISTANCE AT ALL!!!! this morning i had to practicly pry it up... no wax or anything, whoohaa is swollen and scarlett red... she has been kicking her belly and swishing her tail all day . i sat in there with her for a bit and instead of mauling me for cookies and scritches she ignored me! OMG i think tonite is the nite! stay tuned! i hope this time she isnt tricking us!

I'm thinking tonight...I'll be watching as long as I can
default_wink.png
Come on, Lacey!

Hope she doesn't do what my mare did in '09...372 days (hand-bred)
default_rolleyes.gif
I expected a foal in April/May and got a tiny, strong girl on June 14th. My mare showed strong signs for a while (butt-rubbing, kicking at belly, vulva changes etc.). I got no sleep. Next time I'm getting the strips....
default_wink.png

i always try to watch.. which can be next to impossible sometimes with my girls ( age 6 and 4 ) that tend to terrorize me lol if she looks like she is close and i dont respond here you can call the first number on the cam page!! i didnt get to bed till 4am and my kids got up at six so i am very tired and may have to lay down for a bit

Just wanted to say that the kittens running in and out of the stall and playing sure is more entertaining than a mare sleeping. LOL

Your mare is beautiful but is looking pretty uncomfortable. I've been watching for days and can't help but notice she's always in the stall when I look at her. I haven't read through the whole thread so maybe the answer is in there some place but I have to ask you, are you letting her out for excersize every day? Every time I look, she's in the stall. I believe that they have to be out quite abit, penned up all the time can cause foaling problems and certainly would be very boring and depressing to the mare. I don't know what you believe and I don't mean to be rude or step on any toes here, I'm just trying to help.

Your mare is beautiful but is looking pretty uncomfortable. I've been watching for days and can't help but notice she's always in the stall when I look at her. I haven't read through the whole thread so maybe the answer is in there some place but I have to ask you, are you letting her out for excersize every day? Every time I look, she's in the stall. I believe that they have to be out quite abit, penned up all the time can cause foaling problems and certainly would be very boring and depressing to the mare. I don't know what you believe and I don't mean to be rude or step on any toes here, I'm just trying to help.
Marnie, she does go outside 2 times a day for walks. i try to walk her for 15-20 minutes then depending on the weather she has a out side pen that i let her in for a little bit.

Unfortunatly, we didnt get her home till november and since all my other mares are several inches taller than her (most are 36-27) i didnt dare put her in with my other mares with her being so close when i got her home. Lacey doesnt seem like she minds to be in the stall. if i put her outside in her pen, she does the same thing there that she does in the stall , hoovers or stands there. thats why we hand walk her at least once a day. and sometimes since we live in idaho, the weather is nasty and i wont walk her . Lacey came from California and has never seen weather like this! lol she hates the snow , when i take her out and it is snowing she gives me dirty looks!

sometimes she goes for walks once a day and sometimes twice. just kinda depends. as the days go on she gets more difficult to get her walkin far. we also have a lot of snow on the ground, sometimes where she sinks past her knees. so that makes for diffiult for walking much. we dont want her to get high centered.

Also, if she wanted to her stall is pretty large, she could move around in there too but she chooses not to.

when this foal is weaned, we will be intrducing Lacey to our brood mare band, so next year she can have some horsey time outside lol. i would really like to have her out more but with temps that are almost always below 20 untill march its too scarey for me to leave her out where i would have to stand at the back window watching her till i took her in. its near impossible to do that with 2 small children.

Also. with her previous owners ( i watched her on cam for the last 2 years) i know what may seem like her being depressed or what not is her normal behaviour unless of course she is eating! lol

No worries tho! i have nothing to hide and dont minds answering questions and exlpaining. we plan on breeding her a month later for next year for a bit of a later foal so its not so chilly
default_smile.png

Thanks for watchin!

We have way below zero temps here as well and most of the winter the snow is just too deep for these short legged ladies to be safe outside.

Ours too get out for some exercise but mainly just stand around outside as they do in their stall.

The stalls are big enough to roll in for positioning the foal so we feel that outside exercise is good as long as the footing is safe, otherwise the large stalls are our best alternative.

A neighbour put her full sized horse out one winter day and she slipped on the icy surface under the snow and sort of did the "splits" with her hind legs and had to be euthanized. I really worry with the cold and icy layer under the snow especially when the mares get into the waddling stage.

For the past 19 years we have started breeding in March but as of late I have been leaning toward waiting till May for breeding since during March and April the mares will have more outside time.

Hope your mare has her babe soon, she's looking like she would like to
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back