first mare up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have way below zero temps here as well and most of the winter the snow is just too deep for these short legged ladies to be safe outside.
Ours too get out for some exercise but mainly just stand around outside as they do in their stall.

The stalls are big enough to roll in for positioning the foal so we feel that outside exercise is good as long as the footing is safe, otherwise the large stalls are our best alternative.

A neighbour put her full sized horse out one winter day and she slipped on the icy surface under the snow and sort of did the "splits" with her hind legs and had to be euthanized. I really worry with the cold and icy layer under the snow especially when the mares get into the waddling stage.

For the past 19 years we have started breeding in March but as of late I have been leaning toward waiting till May for breeding since during March and April the mares will have more outside time.

Hope your mare has her babe soon, she's looking like she would like to
default_smile.png
thanks for your reply! im glad someone understands where i come from. her stall is somewhere in the area of 12x14 ill have to measure it. she can trott and kick her heals up if she wants too.. she just chooses not to ! lol

I think lacey would love to foal lol she is miserable!

COME VISIT ME! Permanently.
default_biggrin.png

BTW, how many days along are we now? Is she headed for a record breaking gestation? I'm not real up on the whole story. Did you breed her yourself or did you buy her as a bred mare and you're going by what the seller told you?

I hope it's not the second option. LOL I did that a few years ago. Saw a darling little 28" mare at a sale. Supposed to be open. At the last minute the auctioneer said she was 'exposed'. Long story short.........she was pasture bred. I spent 2 MONTHS thinking that mare was going to foal any minute! The result was worth it though. Our Annie (Reflections Anticipation). She will begin her show career this year as a 2 year old.
default_smile.png

Charlotte

My husband joked that the video was on a continous loop
default_laugh.png
,he's hooked. My mother in law was here last weekend and watched,she called yesterday and asked if she foaled yet
default_laugh.png

COME VISIT ME! Permanently.
default_biggrin.png

BTW, how many days along are we now? Is she headed for a record breaking gestation? I'm not real up on the whole story. Did you breed her yourself or did you buy her as a bred mare and you're going by what the seller told you?

I hope it's not the second option. LOL I did that a few years ago. Saw a darling little 28" mare at a sale. Supposed to be open. At the last minute the auctioneer said she was 'exposed'. Long story short.........she was pasture bred. I spent 2 MONTHS thinking that mare was going to foal any minute! The result was worth it though. Our Annie (Reflections Anticipation). She will begin her show career this year as a 2 year old.
default_smile.png

Charlotte

lol she isnt really THAT over due. she is 327 today.. her previous owner bred her only one cycle, in fact i wrote it on my calender the day she called me and said that they covered her! lol she is 2 days longer than she has gone with her other 2 foals.. sooo maybe soon! lol

Lacey is out right now while i do a few things soakin up some vitamin D ! lol she will be back in soon!

Just wanted to say I have been watching for a couple weeks and I think you are doing a great job with Lacey, I too have mares that don't move a lot during latter part of pregnancy, mares are all unique and different , they will foal when they get ....good and ready..... not on our time schedule, with that said, I had to ask if you are ...Super Bowl fans.......? I am and if your luck is anything like mine you just might have a ....Super Bowl........ baby LOL I am watching the game but, will be checking in on Lacey , just in case, I don't want to miss this birth. Good Luck hope she has it soon so you can get some rest that you so much deserve.
default_smile.png

Nancy

hey

is this mare okay.I just now able to see her on the camera.she is laying down right now

we arent real big fans.. but i do like the colts!! lol ill watch as much as i can but lol tv is hard to watch sometimes around here

I think it has been close to a month of watching Lacey

I believe she is loving the attention
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she will foal tonight
default_biggrin.png

it she has a colt you can name it after the winner of the game
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How cute and how nice of you to put that bale of straw in there for the kittens to sleep on!!

If someone just came on this site to watch Lacey and didn't know about the kittens - they would really wonder - on my computer it just looks like a black "blob" on top of the bale!!

Now Lacey, listen up! There were two reasons I didn't breed my mare last year 1. she had a small tear in her cervix from her first foaling (Uuugghh) so I just wanted to give her a nice break and...2. the long long days and nights worrying (yes, I'm a MAJOR worrier, Lacey...whatevs
default_rolleyes.gif
) and being utterly exhausted and then when Lexus finally foaled at 7:30 am on a Sunday...I almost missed it (thank God Kev was here and alerted me...
default_biggrin.png
). Now...I'm not watching you as much as I watched Lex, obviously (you've got lots of eyes on you), but come on, girl. Are you enjoying this? Can you sense our anticipation? Are you being passive aggressive? Is there anything I can get you, Princess? Okay, sorry for the tone, Lacey. It's just that I'm living vicariously through your anticipated foaling. You see, as much as I'm very happy to not have the stress and lack of sleep this year, there is a masochistic side of me that kinda misses it and, well, I just really wanna see you have a great foaling experience and to see a healthy, happy baby. So...It's all up to you now...I'll be watching
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back