feeling a little unwelcomed!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angelspeeper

Reaction score
I have a lifetime of experience with big horses, but felt horribly under qualified to deal with these minis. It seemed everything I knew of big horses didn't really fit with these little guys. I didn't know you weren't suppose to give Quest or Bute to minis, these were staples for the big horses. Beet Pulp???? What was that... never heard of it until I got into minis...now wouldn't be without it! And so...

I "stalked" these forums gathering as much information as I could. I learned a ton of things here. I am grateful to those who have taken me under their wing and taught me all the ins and outs.

I came into minis because an accident that left me unable to ride or handle the big horses. We started out with two little guys that were bought for my kids to show. We still have one of them, and he is a much loved "pet". We have bought other minis and have continued to show...upgrading our horses as we could. I just bought our first stallion (a weanling), and wanted to show him off. (as I am very excited to be a part of his future) But it seems that if you are a newbie or wanting to be a "breeder", that you are not welcome here. I don't come on here very much anymore because of this. I love to see people's posts of their "new" foals. But I have seem some very unwelcoming posts lately. I ask that the "veterans" to remember that unless you were born into a family who already owned minis....at one point you were in our shoes...needing information.

When I logged on to announce my new stallion the first thing I saw was.....a post on "backyard" breeders followed by another one a little later on "how many are still breeding?" Upon reading these I felt very unwelcome to announce my new stallion. While no matter what animal you refer to...there WILL be unethical breeders, and that is a shame! But I feel offended by some (which will remain nameless) that unless you are some large farm or lifelong veteran that you have no right to even THINK about breeding. All large farms started out as a small breeder. That doesn't make you unethical. I know of a long-time breeder who has a large, well known, farm that leaves a lot of room for improvement in the "ethical" department.

I ask you where will the miniature breed be without small breeders? Even the beloved "Buckaroo" started out at a small family farm that grew into a large farm. (for the record this was NOT the above referenced farm!!) I love Little Kings. They have helped me out so much! But my point is...

Some of the posts I have read called the newbies..."stupid". Now I find that very offensive. If these "newbies" can't come on here for advice...where will they get it? It makes me very sad that newcomers won't feel welcome to ask questions and learn, and that certain "veterans" are looking down on others who aspire to become breeders. I for one will show my stallion, and if he doesn't prove his worth of being a stud, well....snip snip!! He will be a gelding. I just think it is unfair to judge all by what a few do. Some of us actually WANT to improve the breed.

feeling very unwelcome indeed!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear that because some of the nicest and most helpful horse people you could ever get to know are members of LB. And I'm a backyard breeder (in that the horses are really behind my house!) with no fancy facilities... got some good horses, though
default_biggrin.png
I hope you'll see how nice people here are and realize that sometimes it's easy to read a tone that wasn't intended in posts. I also kind of thought "urgh" about the "How Many Are Still Breeding" post, but think it wasn't meant the way it may have initially come across. I hope you'll feel free to chime in to speak up for yourself and what you've got going on in discussions
default_smile.png

I am sorry you feel left out. It can be hard when you are new to a breed. I personally am no longer breeding at all we gelded our last stallion a couple years ago. For me it was the best decision but I am glad there are those still breeding. Truth is everyone starts somewhere most of us look back at where we started and realize how far we have come in our knowledge and choices of horses but had we not started wherever we did we would not be where we are now :)

Congrats on your new boy would love to see pics and hope you really enjoy him!!!

I'm sad that you feel that way
default_sad.png

I'm a small time "no body". I tend to stay away from such threads that you mentioned. Just ignore those few that seem judgemental. There ARE many here who ARE supportive.

Please don't let a few spoil your enjoyment of LB!

I often feel the same way as you described. "If you don't do this, you're this. If you don't do that you shouldn't breed."

While I don't like the some times holier than thou type stuff, I've learned to accept that that is THEIR opinions & they have a right to them. What they think or do don't affect me and I have the same rights to think & feel as I do. Whether I agree or disagree. I don't let other people's opinions affect MY enjoyment of MY horses or LB.

Please post away! I'd love to see your stallion!
default_yes.gif

default_saludando.gif
Please don't feel unwelcome there are alot of different opinions on here within our group, please don't take them personally.

We are a small breeder and have made choices in our breeding herd

that pleases us!!

we have been breeding since 2004 have had 1 National top ten and 1 World top ten and still consider ourselves newbees in the miniature horse world.

There are times things on this forum will probably get on your nerves but just don't participate in those threads.

You will find this a very informative place and a very supportive place if you give it more of a chance. But keep in mind there will always be subjects that are a bit contraversal (sp?)

I hope you decide to stay and enjoy alot of the topics and ignore the others

Sorry you feel this way but I understand. Sometimes on here you have to be "thick skinned" and not take bad comments to heart. I have had my feelings hurt a few times here and felt like an idiot. I've also noticed quite a few old timers that are not posting much anymore.

Good luck with your minis.

Looking forward to seeing your new boy!

Learning is a lifelong 'adventure'.

So sorry you felt unwelcome... and I can totally understand how you could feel that way. This should be a wake-up call for all of us to remember how we might come across to those who might not be posting all the time.

And we would LOVE to see your new colt. Why don't you start a new thread? If you look closely you will see many threads announcing new arrivals or even just HINTING at new horses.

I have been on this forum since the beginning and I don't post very much either anymore for the same reason. Seems there are several always being so judgemental and rude and sometimes downright nasty. I think it is sad because I think allot of members don't post for this reason and we are losing allot of great info. and tips etc. from their posts because they don't feel like dealing with the attacks and rude comments and dissagreements. Everyone started somewhere and was new at one time and everyone had to learn and we are always still learning and this forum should be about learning not putting down those who are here to learn or those that they don't agree with or to argue, that is not what the forum is about or intended for. It is very sad some have made everyone else miss out on good posts and info. from those who don't want to deal with the nastiness and attacks. Also very sad that newcomers don't feel welcome and like they can post or ask questions without being made to feel stupid.
default_no.gif

I've noticed several new members feeling "unwelcome" of "offended" in here. You have to realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion (yes that includes you
default_smile.png
) and in here we all share those opinions freely. I have been scolded a few times by senior members for things I have posted but everyone in here has the health and welfare of miniature horses very first on their minds. I didn't get upset about what they said but took their advice with a grain of salt and was thankful for people who know a little more than me. Try to look at everyones point of view equally. You may not feel the same but that doesn't me that you aren't wanted here.

As far as not introducing your new stallion... don't know why you would feel that way. Everyone on here likes to see new pics of herd additions. I doubt anyone would have scolded you for having a stallion. They would have told you how beautiful he was or congrats on the addition.

I think you will find you like it here. Happy to have you aboard!

what you breed or dont breed is nobodies business but your own ....and Id love to see your stallion too!!!!

REO you most certainly are not a nobody , your farm prefix is know on another continent and your beautiful stallions are easily recognised !!

OMG!!! I sure hope it wasn't anything I have said! We really do welcome people who want to start a new herd and have taken the time to do some research.

I actually think most if not all of the people we refer to in those threads are people who would never bother to come here anyway.

We come here to learn from the experience of others.

I guess we also come here to vent about things we have seen and heard and do not approve of.

Sometimes toes get stepped on, but I think most of the time it is due to a misunderstanding.

You came here to learn and get to know other people who share your same interests. You are not one of those people who are being refered to in any post.

Small farms breeding a few selected minis is the perfect way to go. (in my opinion anyway) I don't know how farms that breed for a lot of foals each year can have time to spend with them.

Can't wait to see your new boy!

I have always wondered why some people feel the need to make new people feel unwelcome etc..

I have always had the mindset that new people to the breed are the future of the breed. I welcome them.

Welcome to this board, I have only one mini, a gelding. I have had a very bumpy journey with my boy but have had some great advice and some not so great advice on how to handle him. There have been times when some posters made me feel very stupid. For those very few, there have been many who have reached out and helped me to understand this new experience I found myself in. I came from big horses and my introduction to these little guys left me unbalanced. Now I am more confident and the help I received here has been great. Don't give up, the journey is full of surprises.
default_saludando.gif

Welcome to the forum! So glad you have already learned so much here at LB over the years. I know it is hard, but please don't let others take away your fun. YOU are paying the way for your horses upkeep, and until someone else steps forward to take over, they have NO say in what you do! ENJOY your little horses how YOU want to!
default_yes.gif

Oh REO...you were one of those who helped me so much in the beginning!!! I would never in a million years call you a "nobody"!!!!

Thank you to all who have encouraged me to not take some posts personally. It just gets discouraging when you see post after post putting down newbies and small farms. We all have to start somewhere!

I would post a picture of my new boy, but I don't have one yet. I saw him at the World show and inquired on him. Luck had it that he was for sale, but I didn't get to buy him until right before Thanksgiving. He is still at his former home. I'm trying to make arrangements to get him home. I'm hoping they will grant me permission to use a picture they took of him, because I really don't want to post a "winter woolies" picture. Those are never very flattering! (picture yourself in an over-sized winter coat....um....nope, I'll pass.)

My plans are to show him for the next three years, possibly breeding him as a four yr. old.(he's a weanling now) Showing him as a yearling in Halter and two year old in Halter, Showmanship, and obstacle. Then as a Three year old add in driving, Hunter, and Jumper. If he does well in the show ring he remains a stallion, if not...well...off to the vet for a snip snip. I realize he more than likely won't excel at all of these, but he better excel at something if he is to remain intact! Bloodlines alone won't cut it. He won't be bred if he doesn't prove he's worthy! (and by worthy...I mean finish in the top 5 of a large class or first/second in a small class at Worlds!) And even then...if his first crop of foals aren't at least as good as him... preferably BETTER there WON'T be a second crop! That simple!

I know those are high standards for breeding stock, but its just MY opinion. It in NO WAY reflects what I think others should do. Everybody has their own criteria for breeding stock. For example...I have a 2 yr. old filly who finished her halter class in 5th at the worlds, but I still don't consider her breeding stock. She comes from good bloodlines and has good conformation, but her temperament...well...leaves a lot to be desired! She is the MEANEST thing I own! I wouldn't want that attitude passed on! This isn't "show ring" attitude....it's plain mean spirited!

I am sorry you don't feel welcome here, I know how easy it is to take some comments as being directed at you when they aren't. You sound like you are approaching things the right way by testing the merit and quality of your new stallion in the show ring before breeding him. By the way, make sure and show under many judges before deciding for sure, as judges can be very inconsistent, and then, if you still like what you have, make the decision yourself as you should have the last word.

The back yard breeders being referred to are the people who take anything with working reproductive organs and breeding away without regards to quality or health or registration and selling them dirt cheap. Same thing happens in all species of animals.

You are welcome here, and please do share your new stallion with us.

Can't wait to see pics of your boy. Have you considered entering him in any of the 3 year old performance futurities (hunter & driving) at the AMHA World Show? I know the entry fee is only $25 a class before they are 3 months old and then the fees go up, but might be worth looking into. Might give him a better chance to keep his "jewels" if he won you some money!

Sounds like you are getting your ducks in a row and have a plan. Having a good plan and goals is a wonderful approach Things.

I hate the term back yard breeder, but have grown to understand what is meant when someone uses the term. Trust me, the agenda you have outlined is far from that of an unfit breeder. As I had said In the post mentioned, it has nothing to do with the size of the operation, but rather the lack of care, planning, and regard for the animals involved.

While I am no longer breeding, I always appreciate gawking at a nice horse, I would love to see your boy too.

Can't wait to see pics of your boy. Have you considered entering him in any of the 3 year old performance futurities (hunter & driving) at the AMHA World Show? I know the entry fee is only $25 a class before they are 3 months old and then the fees go up, but might be worth looking into. Might give him a better chance to keep his "jewels" if he won you some money!
HA! HA! I find myself really rooting for this little guy too! I sure hope he lives up to all the expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back