feeling a little unwelcomed!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_saludando.gif
I hope that all the replies on here show that the majority of the population is on your side and all are happy to have you, I think there is still much for all of us to learn on here and to "take advantage" of others experiences and wisdom. Also please never feel unwelcome to post about anything wether it be a new horse (would like to see him when you get a picture) or asking a question no matter how insignificant or stupid you think it is, you may get a few that will post rude or harsh comments but you will ALSO learn and that is why we are all here. I remember my first post here was completely taken off the board because it turned into a fight amongst members but in amongst the fighting on that post I Learned about foaling and that is why I am still here... those people that ignore the lashes and help, not saying all posts turn into fights but you got to take the good with the bad I guess. I hope that you stay... there are so many great people on here you would be here for days naming names and that is a great thing.

So just remember...... we are here to both teach and learn, talk about good days and bad days and to know that there are others who have gone through the same things that we do!
default_yes.gif

Welcome to the forum.
default_saludando.gif
Looking forward to meeting your stallion. Where will you be showing? I love to meet forum members in person.
default_smile.png
:)

Haven't read all the responses but this is, by far, one of the most friendly horsey forums out there (and I know of most of them); most are far more judgemental than this one (and much more snobby). Water off a duck's back....
default_wink.png
If you're gonna post something publicly be prepared to take the good and the bad criticism (and/or honesty).

Last edited by a moderator:
If you live near the DFW area - I'd be happy to have you visit and talk 'horse' anytime. Let me know if there's anyway I can help you with the minis. There is a bit of a learning curve from the big horses.

There are some on this forum ( the 1% LOL)who feel it should be "their way or the highway" and when that happens and they hijack a thread for their own agenda, I skip that one and go on to another. Or sometimes I'll read it to see how ridiculous they get.

Please please stay and enjoy the other 99% of the wonderful folks on this forum! I've been in minis for many years, am still a 'backyard breeder" and a little guy, and love to come on here to see new additions and learn stuff.

You, and all other newbies, are MOST welcome!!

There are some on this forum ( the 1% LOL)who feel it should be "their way or the highway" and when that happens and they hijack a thread for their own agenda, I skip that one and go on to another. Or sometimes I'll read it to see how ridiculous they get.

Please please stay and enjoy the other 99% of the wonderful folks on this forum! I've been in minis for many years, am still a 'backyard breeder" and a little guy, and love to come on here to see new additions and learn stuff.

You, and all other newbies, are MOST welcome!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Welcome to the Mini world.Sorry some people made you feel unwelcome.I am a Mini owner of over 20 years and got into Minis due to back surgeries from riding accidents.I have lots of equine experience from almost 70 years of owning ponies and horses, but I am still learning.I don't post much, but learn lots.I have found the majority of posters to be helpful, but there are a few VERY NEGATIVE people who come on here.I just ignore their comments.I have been around long enough to personally see dwarf horses at big name farms and dwarf Minis sold for big bucks by big name farms and mares with poor conformation(IMO) bred to big name stallions and so on.Everyone starts out small and we all have different dreams and goals for our Minis.I always wanted to breed nice looking Minis with some brains and good dispositions since I felt that most of my foals would go to families with kids.I personally have seen some high dollar show horses that I wouldn't have taken if given to me because of the disposition they displayed.Each of us knows what we want to accomplish with our horses.Hang in there and do what you want to do and don't let the nay sayers scare you away.There is LOTS of good info on this forum so please take advantage of it.When I share info it is in hopes that it might help someone else from making the same mistakes I've already made-then you can go on and make your own mistakes doing something else.Hang in there and come back often.I am no longer breeding-just got burned out, but I love seeing the new foals of others.Wish you were closer.I would love to have you come and hang out.Please post pictures when you get your new guy.

Sounds like you have a good set of goals for your colt - and an alternative plan for him as well.
default_smile.png
Where in Texas are you located?

Jan

Hi!
default_saludando.gif
Welcome from another newbie. I'm in West Texas. Sorry you feel unwelcome. Lots of times I just read and don't post much, but I have learned a great deal from here and as everyone has said, Most everyone is very helpful. I really haven't even had the advantage of much horse experience before getting my little guys, but every one has been so very helpful here. I also would love to see pics of your new guy, when you can
default_aktion033.gif

Welcome to the forum, I'm the foot in the mouth dummy that started the Backyard breeders thread. I now regret using that term, and apoligize. I also believe the new people are the future of our industry. I can't dictate who can breed and who can't, nor can I tell them what quality, etc. to breed. When I started that thread I was out of my mind. I had just received a phone call from someone that I had given a card to a local show, I was the only one that would talk to her about her problems. I had spent alot of time with this prospective buyer educating her on the breed and invited her to my place, but she chose to buy from someone else and it upset me just a little. Then she calls me because the seller won't return her call, and she's trying to get her registration papers straighted out. I'm sorry, and didn't mean to offend you. Please post pictures of your new guy, and join into our conversations and express your opinions, even if like me you sometimes stick your foot in your mouth.

Sorry you feel that way but stick it out this forum is worth its weight in gold and there are more people on here that really do want to help and share all their info so you dont make the same mistakes

that they have made.

Cant wait to see your new guy.

Haven't read all the responses but this is, by far, one of the most friendly horsey forums out there (and I know of most of them); most are far more judgemental than this one (and much more snobby). Water off a duck's back....
default_wink.png
If you're gonna post something publicly be prepared to take the good and the bad criticism (and/or honesty).
This^^^^!

This is one of the friendliest, helpful-ist forums you'll be on. Sometimes things get outta hand but for the most part everyone gets along fabulously!

Now, some of the other forums I frequent/had frequented can get pretty nasty. And one forum I was run out on rails because- HORRORS!!- I BRED ANIMALS. Not even the type of animal the forum was about, but ANY animal! They were pretty rabid over there.... Which was a shame it is seemed to be very knowledgable, but if you don't feel welcome and are downright attacked...
default_doh.gif
you tend to not go back.

Welcome to the forum. You may be new to the forum but it is obvious you are not new to horses. The fact that you have been in the biggies puts you way ahead of some on this forum. This forum runs the gamut of people who don't own minis but want to, to big farms that really show and promote their horses. In this economic climate you need to know what your niche is and what goals you are trying to accomplish. If you are setting up a breeding program and willing to ride out the economy, then now is a great buyers market. Go for it.

There are many that have belonged to this forum for a long time that lurk and don't post much. You will see that many of the frequent posters are fairly newer members. It is just a cycle the forum goes through. It is what it is. That aside, many on here will bend over backwards to help you when you need it, share your pain and wish you well when you need it and let you vent when you need that too.

I'm sorry you feel un welcomed! That's too bad as this is one of the friendliest forums I have ever had the pleasure of being apart of. I joined last year and have loved every moment of it. Give it time, I think you will find that these guys become like a 2nd family. You have a question about your horses their here to help in jiffy! Or even if it's a question about your job, family or other pets, hop over to the back porch and they will welcome your questions with open arms.
default_yes.gif

Once you get pictures I'd LOVE to see your new boy
default_wub.png

Welcome to the forum, I'm the foot in the mouth dummy that started the Backyard breeders thread. I now regret using that term, and apoligize. I also believe the new people are the future of our industry. I can't dictate who can breed and who can't, nor can I tell them what quality, etc. to breed. When I started that thread I was out of my mind. I had just received a phone call from someone that I had given a card to a local show, I was the only one that would talk to her about her problems. I had spent alot of time with this prospective buyer educating her on the breed and invited her to my place, but she chose to buy from someone else and it upset me just a little. Then she calls me because the seller won't return her call, and she's trying to get her registration papers straighted out. I'm sorry, and didn't mean to offend you. Please post pictures of your new guy, and join into our conversations and express your opinions, even if like me you sometimes stick your foot in your mouth.
I understand just how you feel , the exact same thing has happened to me more than once , I always feel very used and often wonder if I have "MUG" written across my forehead
sad.gif
Im sure this lovely lady will forgive you
yes.gif

Welcome! Where in Texas are you located ? Everyone was new to minis at some time. You can learn a lot on this board. People will help answer questions. You can read different opinions and ideas and take what information you want from the posts. I would love to see pictures of your colt. We have a nice show here in San Antonio in July Amha and Amhr. I hope we see you and your colt there.

I am also a 'nobody' with a small farm- and I am still breeding as well. Have been since 1996. Dont take things personally!! You will find some very opinionated people here (I would never do that
default_whistling.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
) and everyone, yes including you, are entitled. I also choose to ignore most of the threads that are negative about things like that..

So sorry that you- or anyone else, have felt unwelcome here. Please chime in any time and just never mind the things that rub you the wrong way.

I also remember when I transfered from big horses to the Minis- omg, I felt like a complete novice! It's kind of funny now when I think back on it. Lucky for me, the little stallion I had (still have- he's an old man now) was SO patient and wonderful. He is my heart horse and would love to see pics of yours!

Well, I am very glad RR did start the BackYardBreeders thread as it gave us a chance to decide we did not like the term, it did NOT describe what it meant to and we were not going to use it as a derogatory term any more!

Welcome to LB, home of the best and proudest backyard breeders in the world!

I breed, pretty much, out of my back yard, and I am happy to say so.

I would love to see pictures of your colt foal, and if they are woolly ones, so what? All our little ones are woolly at this time of year- mine are doing pretty good Yak impressions as we speak- starving Yaks, of course!!

You need to spend some time on here- throw in your two cents worth and sit back, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's.

Just for the record, I have not yet seen anyone run out of this forum on a rail- pretty sure the mods would not allow that anyway, so speak you mind and remember if you want to rant, rant, just warn us that that is what you are doing any everything will be fine
default_1857272.gif
default_yes.gif

This^^^^!

This is one of the friendliest, helpful-ist forums you'll be on. Sometimes things get outta hand but for the most part everyone gets along fabulously!

Now, some of the other forums I frequent/had frequented can get pretty nasty. And one forum I was run out on rails because- HORRORS!!- I BRED ANIMALS. Not even the type of animal the forum was about, but ANY animal! They were pretty rabid over there.... Which was a shame it is seemed to be very knowledgable, but if you don't feel welcome and are downright attacked...
default_doh.gif
you tend to not go back.

How is Jane and Elvis? She helped me soooo much at my first show. It was a couple of years ago (2008..I think) at the Tyler show. She probably couldn't talk for days...because she was trying so hard NOT to laugh. I know she was biting her tongue so hard at our "hack job" attempt at body clipping. That poor horse looked so bad...he looked like I tried to do it with a weed-eater!!!! Funny now...not so funny then! But she ever so patiently helped us "fix" him, so we would not be laughed out of the ring the next day. While he didn't place that day, at least he looked respectable! I always try to watch her class from then on...just to cheer her on!

Who me???? Stick my foot in my mouth???? So that is what its called. I thought I was having an exotic lunch! Boot leather with a side a manure!!! YUM!!! No harm done...maybe I am just being overly sensitive. It's been a rough couple of months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back