Driving Me Buggy 2019 Hours!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thing he didn't decide to have a nice roll in the puddle :D . I have one that thinks about it. Fortunately it has never progressed much passed thinking about it. Once or twice I've caught him sort of starting to lower himself :eek:.​
A few times I wasn't sure if he was thinking about that. Not at the puddle but at the sandy part of the road. I don't think he would want to roll in a puddle when it's only 20 degrees out and the wind was howling! LOL!

Zorro did 60 minutes of ground driving today. He was a teacher at a beginner driving clinic today so he was ground drove by lots of different people and had his harness put on by 16 different people today. He was amazing!

Then we did 60 minutes of driving in the sled after the ground driving :)

Introduced Midnight to the harness today. We tried a little ground driving. Unfortunately, she is one of those horses that puts the tongue over the bit. If she continues to do it, I will have to deal with it. Not really enough time to count, just playing around a little.

Maybe it was from anxiety (the tongue) and something she will work through. Peanut did that last Fall at the ADT. All of a sudden he shut down during the dressage test (of course) and looked befuddled and bewildered. Upon closer inspection, he had managed to get the tongue over the bit. It was a schooling show so we were able to fix it and then finish the test. He tried it again once or twice that day but we raised the bit a little and then he found something else to worry about o_O He had never put his tongue over before, I think he was anxious and when anxious his mouth goes into overdrive. I guess the stress has to come out somewhere!

How was she about the rest of the harness? Did it seem new to her or routine?

She didn't care about the harness at all. And when she wore the bridle before it was no big deal. But this time I was introducing some rein work and she had no idea. It was just an introduction; We ended on a good note and she enjoyed some good scratches after. I think if I have someone lead her next time, it will go better. It's so hard to work alone. She's really never had much handling, so everything is new to her.

No, I haven't. Yet, lol. It was hopefully a one time thing with Peanut. Is a bit lifter a strap that goes from one side of the bit to the other over their nose? Or is it something different? We have the strap option in the back of our minds if he decides to make a habit :( of it.
Where did you get your bit lifter?
Hi,
Wondering if either of you have ever used a bit lifter. I do with one of my horses.

Yeah, he HAD to do it in front of an audience :confused:. He put on quite a show that day! Came out of the trailer hotter than a two dollar pistol and was full of shenanigans. Even leading him was a project. But he simmered down and by the middle
Cayuse, interesting that Peanut did that tongue over the bit thing at the show. Yes, little Midnight was certainly bewildered. We have to start somewhere.
of the day had gathered his wits and was a good little man. I think he even had a little fun
(maybe he had TOO much fun). I was like the mom whose kid has the mother of all temper tantrums in public, I wanted to disappear...

I bought the bit lifter from Driving Essentials Inc. It was only $13.50. Its made by Zilco. Says pony but fits a mini perfect. The one from Chimacum looks a little bulky to me, this one lays very flat and neat.
Never have to worry about losing steering.

I drive in an arch mouth baucher cheek bit that is also a smaller diameter to better fit in the horses mouth. The arch mouth style mouth piece makes it VERY hard for them to get their tongue over the bit. My mare, Sky, HATES tongue pressure so was very insistent about putting her tongue over the bit. She is 16 and has been been driving since she was 2 1/2 years old, always in a roller mouth mullen style Myler half cheek. But for some reason last year she decided she didn't like that bit any more. Once I switched her, she tried to put her tongue over once and has been very content ever since! All three of my ponies drive in this style of bit and seem very happy.

Zorro drove 120 minutes yesterday with the bike. We were both covered in mud and happy when we got home! LOL!

Latest posts

Back