Disposable Nation

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
OK I have a cold! I'm sitting here using disposable tissues, and thinking you know back when I was a kid, we didn't have these disposable tissues, we used hankies, that we needed to wash. Then I started to look around my house at the disposable stuff that I have. I started in the kitchen, in the fridge I found a plastic bottle of milk, well it used to be we bought it in a glass bottle and it was recycled, then I saw disposable water bottles, cans of soda and beer that all used to come in reusable bottles. Talk about cleaning I use a swiffer duster, disposable, in the old days we used washable rags. I also have one of those swifter floor dusters that has disposible attachments. My grand son lives with us and wears disposable pull ups at night, we used to use cloth diapers, then reuse them as dust rags. There is also paper towels that get thrown away at an alarming rate around here, we used to use washable towels. My daughter has puppies that use piddle pads, yes they get thrown away too. Now I do can my own veggies, so I reuse my canning jars but there are still tin cans in the cabinet that get thrown away. Then there are tin pans that I use for functions that are disposable. Wow! Have we as a nation gotten lazy, or is it just easier to fill up the landfills. Forgot to mention, I also have paper plates! Seriously I'm retired and could take the time to wash dishes! Sad fact of life is most of this disposable crap is made in other countries.

Great post, Terry! I think you make some good points, and I can relate to many of them...

We recycle and rarely use paper plates. I do admit to using those foil tray things when I don't want to wait around or worry about getting a container or dish bake (okay, nor look forward to cleaning it up away from home!). Lots of the other things you mention, we use or our extended family does.

Also, think of the things we used to physically possess and display, that we could before touch, but now are just bought / sold "over the thin air"! Things like "books" and "records" come to us w/ no physical representation and reside in Kindles and iPods. What about a board game? We're all playing "Scrabble" (Words with Friends) and "Pictionary" (Draw Something) on our smart phones and tablets! No physical boxed game required.

It's such a contrast, these two things side by side. The physical amount of things we dispose of, and the "nothingness" (as in, nothing you can touch" that we hold on to in this digital age.

BTW, I so remember the cloth diapers (ew) and hankies. Although now I get upset with my husband for the use of his big red hanky, all he is doing in my opinion is to keep bringing all his cold germs right back to his face.
default_thumbdown.gif

Oh Bassett you hit the nail on the head! I just took an old RCA TV into the repair shop, it weighs a ton, and the guy says, you want me to fix this? It would be cheaper to buy a new one and he sent me on my way. As for my old hoover vacuum, the same thing, I was told you can't fix this just throw it away and buy a new one as they don't even make belts or bags for this model anymore! I'm beginning to think that they have us, as we need to replace most things every few years or do without, crazy.

Such a great topic, Riverrose. I had never heard of paper plates, paper towels, aluminum foil, Kleenex, disposable diapers (nappies) and many other like things, until I came to the US. We washed our clothes by hand and hung them outside to dry. We had a 'clothes horse', which was a wooden thingy we put around the fireplace, to hang the clothes on which didn't dry completely outside.

My parents owned a country grocery shop and a separate country post office. They were both in the same village. We lived behind and above, the grocery store. It was a huge house, built in the mid 1500's and right on the village square, opposite the church. We even had our own chapel on the property. We sold pretty much everything, including all grocery items, clothing, sewing needs, knitting wools, (everyone knitted in those days) kitchen utensils, gardening equipment and anything anyone would need, for miles and other villages around. We did not sell fresh meat. There was a butcher's shop in the village, who sold all fresh meats.

There was not nearly the number of items of each kind, one finds these days. We sold one kind of butter and one kind of margarine. A couple of different jams and marmalades, a couple of different detergents and of course, no fabric softener. There was Colman's Mustard Powder, which you mixed yourself and HP steak sauce and ketchup. A few spices were there, but not nearly the amount found these days. One brand of sugar and a couple of brands of tea and coffee. I remember we had about three kinds of breakfast cereals and also oatmeal. Cookies (biscuits) were kept in four barrels in front of the counter, with glass lids, so you could see what was in them. They would be taken out and weighed, according to what the customer wanted. There were lots of canned goods, as I remember. We did have a freezer, which held BirdsEye frozen veg. (Very modern in those days, for village shops) My father cured his own hams and bacon, in a strange medieval tower, in our back garden. He also kept his cheeses in the cellar of that place. We did have fresh veggies, like potatoes/onions etc. Customers would 'phone their orders in each day or week and my father would deliver them. Payment was expected on Friday evenings.

I never remember anyone, asking for something which we didn't have, except one time, when someone ordered a bicycle. My father drove to the city, procured the bike and the customer was happy. We had two employees. One who worked at the counter with my father and one who filled orders to be delivered. My mother ran the post office on the other side of the village square. She obviously sold stamps etc., and also cigarettes.

Everyone lived so simply. We didn't 'need' all this other stuff. We worked hard and were happy with our lives. If I look in my refrigerator and pantry now and think back, I should be embarrassed, and I don't even buy a lot of stuff, people have today. We do recycle and I don't use paper plates. We do purchase everything used at garage sales, CraigsList, Ebay, flea markets or thrift shops, if we need something. That includes all clothing except underwear. I'll bet I haven't bought any new clothing, for at least 35 years, but I have some wonderful clothes.

We are about to move and downsize. Downsize an enormous amount. But we need at our age, to be closer to my daughter, who owns Harlequin Farms. It has been difficult to know that much of my treasured antique furniture, which I brought from England, almost 40 years ago, will have to be sold. Much of it, will go to my daughter, so I know it will stay in the family, but it is still difficult to say goodbye, to some things. I have to keep telling myself, that I really don't 'need' it. And I suppose, that is what sums it up for many of us. Do we truly 'need' all the stuff we buy and have around us? Could we do with less and still make it through life? I'm probably older than most of our members here, but am still learning that lesson.

Lizzie

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizzie, your post is very moving, yet I want you to know this, things are just that things. They are not what your family will remember about you. I know that my family will not remember that I have a home entertainment system, or whatever, they will remember when I sang to them at night, or told a story, took them to a park, went fishing, camping, a horse show, whatever. What I"m trying to say is this, memories are more important then the things we collect in life, they will be remembered. I've been collecting things all my life, and they are no longer important to me or mine, what we will remember are the times we have spent together, the hugs, kisses and memories.

Very good topic! This was really brought home to me this summer during our 6 week stay in Ecuador. Nothing is disposable or wasted down there - and that is goods and food. It really opened my eyes to how much we do throw away. And it truly changed what we buy and use now that we are back home.

I do think it is sad and seems to relate to more than what we buy in our society. So many things are "disposable" and the belief seems to be if something isn't working or you don't like it anymore, then just get rid of it and get something new.

Barbara

We use sheets for piddle pads with plastic underneath. We wash the sheets and then mop the plastic. I do use paper plates, but I'm a freelance writer and I don't have time to always keep the dishes cleared.

This is a huge problem in our society, but by rethinking what you buy, the waste can be greatly reduced.

Disposable items and packaging are often reusable, compostable or recyclable. I use cardboard and newspaper in the garden to suppress weeds and to mulch around plants -- cover with compost or dried leaves. I can use more than we have here, so I collect sheets of cardboard from the grocery store. Same with old carpet. Manure and fallen leaves are much too valuable to have hauled away. We have simple, quick compost piles and longterm piles for things that take a bit longer. Kleenex, paper towels, napkins and the like compost quickly.

I never buy plastic food storage containers -- I reuse cottage cheese and other plastic tubs with snap-on lids. Egg cartons are re-used for our eggs until they fall apart -- those who receive our eggs return the old cartons -- then they are composted.

Cloth grocery bags are another great means of reducing waste -- especially since the recyclability of plastic bags is a scam. If we buy more than our bags will hold, I get paper bags, which I then compost.

Our community has somewhat limited recycling capabilities, so that which is not easily recycled here is saved, then taken into Portland where they take items such as clamshell plastic packaging and other difficult items.

No kids here, so diapers aren't in the picture.

If it can't be reused or recycled, we reduce or do without. If the company doesn't care they don't get our business. Once you're in the habit, it becomes easy, and it greatly reduces your garbage collection or dump fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lizzie, your post is very moving, yet I want you to know this, things are just that things. They are not what your family will remember about you. I know that my family will not remember that I have a home entertainment system, or whatever, they will remember when I sang to them at night, or told a story, took them to a park, went fishing, camping, a horse show, whatever. What I"m trying to say is this, memories are more important then the things we collect in life, they will be remembered. I've been collecting things all my life, and they are no longer important to me or mine, what we will remember are the times we have spent together, the hugs, kisses and memories.
I know you are right Riverrose. I think a lot of it, has to do with the fact that even after almost 50 years here, I have never stopped being homesick for England. Living with all my antique thingies around me, has always helped make me a little less so maybe. This downsize, is also going to be a very major one, so it is difficult to know that so much will not go with me. I am keeping the thought in my head though, that many thousands are not only downsizing, but losing their homes and everything they have. Makes me feel more than a bit guilty.

Lizzie

Back