I just got screwed over by the cattle dealer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amysue

Reaction score
So...my day sucked. Excuse my rant, but I seriously need to vent. Last night the cattle dealer that my husband has been dealing with for a while calls desperately looking to make a load ( I never liked the guy as I feel we never make out well and hubby and I always get into a fight over it). I have a yard full of holstein steers coming 2 years old that I have been waiting to sell when they finish out and the price is right. Now..my feelings have always told me that on a scale of trustworthyness from most to least it goes: used car salesman, horse dealer, drug dealer then cattle dealer. Obviously my instincts are not far off.

He tells me he wants 4 around 600# and 2 around 900# to go directly to slaughter, so now would be a time to cull any riglings. He guaranteed me 1.00/#. He said it would really help him out as he was in a bind, he wouldn't charge a commission or trucking and he'd pay in cash (obviously too good to be true). So this morning he sends his driver to pick them up, he did not bother to come pick them up him self. I do not have a scale at the farm but we are pretty good at eyeballing and he said "around", not exactly on weight. So we load the ones I want to part with (hard for me because they're my bottle baby boys) and he heads over the scale. The driver calls me and says the 6 total animals weighed 4580# . Once that rat buzzard dealer crosses state lines with my boys he calls my hubby and tells him the weight and says well, two were riggers and they are on the lean side so I got you $3800. My husband told me that and I blew a serious gasket...like told the dealer what I was going to do to him...long story short...basically I told him the steers hanging upside down right now are having a better day than he is going to when I get done with his lying butt. He goes well...I can give you 4,000. My husband told him he better make it right or he would have to deal with me. So they show up at the farm and I am in the shower, I answer the door in a towel and the poor driver told me the dealer was here (he wasn't even man enough to knock on my door himself) and I told him he could wait til I was done (so I took my time, washer my hair, shaved my legs, painted my toe nails etc. Figured I'd make him wait) then I storm out there and that s.o.b. wouldn't even look me in the eye! He hands me the slip from the scale and 4,000 cash and says he is sorry and wishes to make it right. I told him in order to make it right he needs to give me my 580 dollars or give me a cow back. He just looks at the ground and walks away! The poor driver (obviously very uncomfortable ) apologizes and says, "I took a hard hit too". I turned around and said, "I bet you did with this lying a** dirty mother trucker (except I used the work that rhymes with trucker)" the dealer looks at me, doesnt say a word and walks away. What a tool bag!

So now I basically gave a steer away for free. I struggle enough to pay my bills and take good care of everybody, often putting my own personal needs aside and now this. I put 2 years and hundreds of dollars worth of feed, bedding and vet care into these animals and I was conned into giving one away. I wish there was something I could do or some agency to report him to but without a written agreement, I fear that I am s.o.l.

Your problem Amysue is your just too nice
default_smile.png
Ive been in that position before where you think you can trust someone and give them the benefit of the doubt, only to have them turn around and crap in your face.

Dont change being the person that you are, just listen to your gut instinct next time.

Hopefully this will eliminate any fights with your hubby in the future. Dont think this is anyway your fault fro trusting him. Hopefully the karma train arrives for him soon enough
default_smile.png

Typical cattle jockey.

Been there, done that, doesn't suck any less anytime.

I've had better luck railing them right to Pennsylvania and getting the check from the plant written in my name.. But I have an auction house under half an hour away that will do it.

Next time he's got an order send him the nastiest, railiest thing you've got. I did that once to a guy and he did get the point, jipped me one week, the next made an identical phone call to yours. Promised him some fat and sassy dnbs, he got the thinnest biggest bagged ladies I could find.

Hasn't called me again!

So after I called the dept of agriculture and complained...he agreed to cut my husband a check for the rest (out of his own pocket) he claims. Atleast I'll get my money. I like the idea of trying to beat them at their own game. I have a few freemartins to get rid of,(wheels are turning in my head) the problem is that whomever he sells them to gets screwed. My husband thinks he was planning on lying about the weight because there were already cows on the truck. He probably figured I wouldn't question it, but the driver told me what he had on and gave me the weight ticket, poor guy probably got chewed out over it too. I think my boys look okay, theyre not prize winning stock, but they dress out nice. 2016-03-10 11.37.09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you called the Ag department. Too many times things like this happens. Nice looking cattle
default_smile.png

KUDOS !!!

He won't bother you again, LOL. The cattle look great and that hay does, too.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. So...he never gave hubby money, offered to make it right in calves. Hubby agreed, I protested but it did not do any good. So he has his poor driver deliver 3 scrawny bull calves (all of course have runny noses and bloody scours). He still owes me 2 more calves. Hopefully they make it. (Not holding my breath).

Next time he comes around offer to sell him those calves at about 3x what he owes: that actually worked for us once.

Got a nasty wormy ugly butt Holstein bull on same terms, just threw it outside and forgot about it for 2/3 mos. guy came around looking for a service bull.

You know what he paid $800 for? 'Peg leg,' as he was dubbed because of his hind legs.

They aren't very smart lol

Yea, I learned my lesson the hard way. Had to run them over the scale to get the price and since the ball was in his court...I got played. Never again.

I don't know much about selling cattle but my mother in law raised big pretty red ones. Had a huge sweet bull! She loved hers too. It will come back on him and bite him in the butt. He will regret screwing good people over and his reputation will be put out there. Sorry that happened.

Latest posts

Back