Hay Bale Wire Warning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
I didn't want to post this on the horse forum as it's not entirely horse related.

For many years, I have used hay bales that are bound with wire. Always knew the 'dangers' and always tried to be careful - folding wire ends once cut, bagging the wire & safety disposing.

Yesterday, as usual went to feed horses and reached to grab my flakes of alfalfa. Felt a poke

and noticed a wire had punctured my hand below

thumb. Pulled it out and literally it was like turning a hose of rushing blood. Went to the door of the house & yelled for the fiancé to bring me paper towels. She started freaking and wanted to take me to the ER, I refused. The amount of blood and as quickly as it was coming I admit even hardcore me was a little worried. Overall, it punctured about 1" in, luckily no nerve damage. It's swollen and bruised and not to mention sore; especially because I had to work today (dog groomer).

Just a warning be careful!! with those wires. I've had scratches and once a deeper cut that left a scar across my wrist, but never something this severe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Moley! Sorry this happened to you and hope you are on the mend. In the past when we have had wire my husband was anal about making me bend cut wires back in a loop. He was afraid one of the cats would get poked!

I saw the photo of the blood in the barn. I DO wish you'd go to the Dr Michelle! What if it got infected or something? We don't want to lose you!

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry! I know that had to hurt and is probably more sore and throbbing now. Since you work with animals you prob. don't have to worry about a tetanus shot. I'd be kind of concerned about the amount of blood you described though but hopefully since it did gush out surely it cleaned and flushed itself well. I hope it does not give you any trouble.

Thanks all. My hand is a lot better today, just bruised and a little swollen. Luckily, I am UTD on my tetanus vaccine thanks to a dog bite.

Latest posts

Back