Crazy lady came to visit...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_yes.gif
:DOH!
default_no.gif
:DOH!

I had one come out from across the country. I was told the way to get dapples on a horse was to brush them every day........ that was only 1 of her lines. Scary.....

There are lots of looneys out there. We have one around here that has turned people in for things they have done or are doing themselves. It's really kind of sad.

A few years ago, a family stopped in (not unusual at all) but the mom demanded that I show her the horses, saying it was the middle of the afternoon & I should be "open." I always showed the horses to whoever asked, but this woman was abusive LONG before we approached the barn. She also demanded the kids ride. What's wrong with you? She asked me. HA!!! She said this is a miniature farm, isn't it?

I told her yes, it was a mini farm, but it is also my HOME! I just happen to have horses. This is a PRIVATE farm I told her. She went on yelling about how I should have regular hours because it's a business. I told her it's my home, and I don't have business "hours." And how she drove all the way there to let her kids ride and now I won't let them.

Mind you, I had never seen or heard of this woman before. Don't know where she came from or how she found me. What a nut.

I would usually gladly show my horses to someone with an interest in minis. But I had company on this sunday afternoon. What a lunatic. Was really glad when she was gone. Bad, bad vibes from her even when she happened to have her mouth shut. Sorry......boy, that felt good to vent about that one!

Oh yeah, and then there was the guy in the new Cadillac convertable with two purebred schnauzers in the back. He wanted a mini for under $50!!!!!! And couldn't believe I wanted more!! I asked how much he paid for his dogs & he said $400 each. Um.................I told him he wouldnt find any $50 horses on this farm.

Just a few of many -- As Rabbit said, if ya got animals, you got crazies, now & then. But, believe me, the good wonderful people I've met over the the years FAR outweigh the nuts. About 1000 to 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I had 2 mini mares foal, the foals took a lot out of them and they were skinny and vet was aware of this and these 2 mares were on a special diet as prescribed by said vet. Anyway one weekend when I was at work these people stop at my in laws who live next door and threaten to take the horses and phone the SPCA. Anyway my father in law told them if they took the horses that would be theft and that the horses were under vet care and he explained why they were skinny. Anyway they phoned the vet and told him he did not know horses, etc and then phoned the SPCA. Needless to say my vet phoned the SPCA beforehand so they were aware the horses in question were under vet care and told the lady who phoned they already were aware of the 2 mares and that they were under vet care. Never heard from those people again. Needless to say those 2 mares are butterballs now. One I sold and the other is still here.

I think the worst one was a whole family that came out to see my horses...showed them a mare I was offering for sale..they stood back..looked at her...never offered to pet or touch any of the horses, even those that came up for pets and scratches. After I got done with telling them about mini`s, my sales horses and some biographies on a few others they told me they were only looking for sons and daughters of Champions.

GEEZ...
default_wacko.png
...I was totally out of patience and told them they would just have to "keep looking" as I had NOTHING for them. They all piled in the car and left...weird!!!! At that point I wouldn`t have sold them anything...

I always think its a red flag when people are reluctant to even pet them!!
default_yes.gif

The crazy lady didn't come to my home. But, I was looking at a stud to breed my mares. First She said he was 29". He was 32". She had 1 stud and 3 mares and a couple of big horses. She wanted me to help her show her horses so she could charge more for stud service. One thing this lady did and would not stop was every time she did something with any of her horses she made them boew (sp). She wanted them to perform and that was the completion of the performance to her. I told her if she didn't stop I wasn't going to do any more. She didn't so I didn't.

A few years ago, a family stopped in (not unusual at all) but the mom demanded that I show her the horses, saying it was the middle of the afternoon & I should be "open." I always showed the horses to whoever asked, but this woman was abusive LONG before we approached the barn. She also demanded the kids ride. What's wrong with you? She asked me. HA!!! She said this is a miniature farm, isn't it?

I told her yes, it was a mini farm, but it is also my HOME! I just happen to have horses. This is a PRIVATE farm I told her. She went on yelling about how I should have regular hours because it's a business. I told her it's my home, and I don't have business "hours." And how she drove all the way there to let her kids ride and now I won't let them.
Since she said you were a business, and don't businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason; perhaps it would have worked to refuse service to her. Then again, maybe not, people like her just don't get it.

Fortunately, we haven't had any horror stories like these (yikes!), but my favorite crazy person story is the guy who stopped his suv in the middle of the road to talk to me while I was walking my mare, and started asking the usual questions (is that a mini? is it for sale? how big is it? what does it eat? etc.) while traffic swerved both ways around him... I kept walking so that the cars behind him wouldn't freak out (we have some Very Impatient People around here). He then asked me to stop so he could ask me more questions, and I suggested he drive up to our house (50 feet away) so we wouldn't be in the middle of the road - he got mad at me when I refused to stop walking, and zoomed away! Clearly a very committed and patient person...

This is not a horror story but, in hind sight, I found it rather funny, and something to add to a diary.

Dawn and I are in town one day and I get a phone call on my cell .. “I am at your gate and can’t get in and I want to see your horses!”

I say “I apologize, did we have an appointment..?” The reply is “NO, we did not have an appointment but I was in the area and by the way, it took us almost an hour to find your place in the first place, talking to local folks for directions and now we are here at your gate but it is closed and we would like to see your horses!”.

I then explain that we are not even home, hence the gate is closed and I am talking to him on a cell phone, while my wife and I are in town. I again apologized because if we had an appointment I would have made sure we would have been there and maybe there would be some better time.

He then hangs up, never to heard from again.

My neighbors, who helped him with directions, mention to me that he made it a point to stop them upon leaving to let them know that we are the worst business people ever and not accommodating at all.

I don’t think we have change our accommodating “persona” as a result of this experience, but I just found it as an interesting interface.

default_saludando.gif

Tommy

I had some a few weeks ago just stop by. Two ladies (one was VERY pregnant) and two young boys. I'll be the first to admit- I'm not very tolerant of children, but these boys were MONSTERS. Chased the mares, chsed my dogs, did not listen worth anything. Thank GOD my mares were behaved. They never offered to kick, and I tell ya what, it would not have surprised me if they HAD. They just got out of the way. When I told them the prices the older lady said she'd have to save up more money....
default_rolleyes.gif
Thankfully they haven't been back. I was VERY uncomfortable with them.

Lucy

LOL, Jim and Mary Frazier had a crazy lady show up at their barn several years ago and now they can't get rid of me .... er..... I mean her
default_wacko.png
LOL .

HAHA!!
default_biggrin.png

no crazies have ever visited us.

Last edited:
WOW, I guess 'my' lunatic was pretty tame compared

to some of these on here :DOH!

Thanks for sharing your stories. I enjoyed reading them.

I have actually had two other Lunatic events here...

they were not amusing, one was actually very upsetting

and the other weirdos were in my barn when I got

home from work! and kept asking "how much is this one worth?"

OMG, creapy.... Locks went on the gates for good!

I have a friend that has a large farm and does quite a bit of business.

Now, HE can tell ya some stories
default_laugh.png

~Sandy

I just remembered another one.......

I was fixing the corner of the pasture fence, down by the intersection. A fellow pulled over in his truck & started asking me questions about the minis. I'm not shy & was glad to share with him. Well, shortly into the conversation, he started screaming at me that I shouldn't be breeding horses. Those little ones should never be bred, he said. Um, what???

We had in the field national champion producers, grand champion mares & stallions, along with others. He just went on & on until I finally said "Get out of here!" and pointed at his truck. I wouldn't usually be so bold or forceful, but the guy was nuts!
default_wacko.png

How can you just jump out of a truck at a horse farm & start screaming at someone, you've never seen before AND expecting them to say, "gee, you know, you're right. I shouldn't be doing this. I'll stop right now."

What a crazy one. Never saw him before or after. Thank goodness.

We were in business for about 20 years. Met a lot of super nice people. Many have become very close friends. Met some real nuts too!

Came home one day to find a very strange looking person sitting on my porch...It was 85 degrees out and he ws dressed in a old wool black suit with a black wool long coat and a black hat...he was very tall over 6 feet and quite thin...

He said he came to buy a horse and had picked the one out that he wanted before we got home...I told him I had nothing for sale at the time...

I had noticed there were not other cars or trucks or even a bike in our driveway...He said he had (WALKED) a very long way .... (the town he was from was 18 miles away) and was going to buy this horse now... so he could ride it home...I told him I only have Mini's...and you can't ride them...He said...OH YES I CAN I already checked and the White one is just perfect..."my 33 inch Cremello mare" who was just about to deliver her foal...My husband grabbed my arm and squeezed it as I started to go toward this fool and deck him. My voice dropped about 10 octives and I think I was more growling than speaking...lol Told him I HAVE NOTHING TO SELL GOODBYE!!!!!! He then opened up a small cooler that he was holding and asked HOW much was I asking...The cooler was full of money!!!!!!!!!

At that point my husband told him he needed to leave and he would take him to town so he could call someone to pick him up and take him home....I did follow them to town as I was afraid this guy would do something stupid....Never saw him again....was leary for a long time every time I went somewhere....Of course went and checked April and she was fine...He was probably very lucky she was sooooooooo pg. as in her normal life she was a holy terror and she would have laid him out for trying to get on her...lol

Came home one day to find a very strange looking person sitting on my porch...It was 85 degrees out and he ws dressed in a old wool black suit with a black wool long coat and a black hat...he was very tall over 6 feet and quite thin...

He said he came to buy a horse and had picked the one out that he wanted before we got home...I told him I had nothing for sale at the time...

I had noticed there were not other cars or trucks or even a bike in our driveway...He said he had (WALKED) a very long way .... (the town he was from was 18 miles away) and was going to buy this horse now... so he could ride it home...I told him I only have Mini's...and you can't ride them...He said...OH YES I CAN I already checked and the White one is just perfect..."my 33 inch Cremello mare" who was just about to deliver her foal...My husband grabbed my arm and squeezed it as I started to go toward this fool and deck him. My voice dropped about 10 octives and I think I was more growling than speaking...lol Told him I HAVE NOTHING TO SELL GOODBYE!!!!!! He then opened up a small cooler that he was holding and asked HOW much was I asking...The cooler was full of money!!!!!!!!!

At that point my husband told him he needed to leave and he would take him to town so he could call someone to pick him up and take him home....I did follow them to town as I was afraid this guy would do something stupid....Never saw him again....was leary for a long time every time I went somewhere....Of course went and checked April and she was fine...He was probably very lucky she was sooooooooo pg. as in her normal life she was a holy terror and she would have laid him out for trying to get on her...lol
omg!
default_new_shocked.gif
wow!

Yes it was quite a day.....I have been on this earth a long time and that was my strangest happening ever before and until today nothing has beat it.. :DOH! ..and believe me strange stuff happens to me all of the time...lol

We have two locations for our horses - the broodmares are in a big field across the street until they are ready to go under the cameras and then they foal out and stay here at our house until they are weaned. Well my horses are all as fat as I am. The problem across the road is that we have burr's and the mares are notorious for getting into them. They can be perfectly clean and then an hour later their manes can be covered. We try to keep them clean but it doesnt always happen. We had a lady stop at the house across the street and tell our renter that she would rescue 3 or 4 of these mares as long as we supplied the papers. When our renter told them they were in no way abused - except for being to fat - the lady said she would turn us into animal control for abuse (becuase she had seen burrs in their manes for 2 days in a row). And she did. As I am one of the approved homes for our local animal control they thought it was all a joke but I could definetely see where someone like that could cause problems.

Of course having the tack business in a building on our place has brought all types of people. We do not have a store and we are not listed locally. They think just because my house is next door that they should be able to come anytime, and I mean anytime. The worse was one winter an older couple came by at 7:30 am sunday morning. THis particular sunday we had 13 inches of snow and we were in the process of trying to get our 4 wheel drive out because my husband had to go to work because the plant was having problems. How they managed to get out - I will never know. But they were very rude when I said we were not open plus we only had mini tack and they needed a gift for their granddaughter who had a quarterhorse. All this time I am shovelling snow and trying to get my husband out and they would not leave. The man finally informed me that he was going to turn me into the better business bureau. I told him that not even Wal-Mart was open this morning and so he had better turn them in also - his wife said they knew that because they had already been there.

We now have a gate and it is shut and padlocked when I do not want people to come in - because we had several come through the shut gate and leave it open.

Over all of these years - most of the people are sweet and fun to get to know.

Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:
Back