Meet Sasha

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reignmaker Miniatures

Reaction score
We have a new addition to our family. Sasha is a 15 weeks old rotti pup that we have had for just over a week now. We will have our work cut out for us turning her into a good canine citizen, she was bred by a 'backyard breeder' in the worst sense of the title. She has had no socialization with strangers or dogs outside her litter. No shots until we got her and no training at all. Unfortunately I think her litter mates are not destined to find a forever home anytime soon (I wish I could have taken them all
default_sad.png
) and will probably end up at the pound/SPCA or worse. There were 9 in the litter and he (the breeder) sold 4 promptly at 8 - 10 weeks but then the buyers just dried up. He docked the tails (which is one thing he appears to have done well) at 2 days old but didn't bother to remove dew claws and since the pups all have large double dew claws on the back feet this is something that will now require surgery to accomplish. Anyway, enough complaining about him, let me tell you about our girl. She was understandably terrified when she came, had no experience with anything and was sick in his truck on her first ever ride. She had a complete panic attack when she was introduced to her new 'sister' my Boston terror ...er terrier, Abby and shrieked like she was being murdered while loosing control of both her bladder and bowels. Poor baby found day one pretty traumatic. But she is a quick study this girl. She had never been on leash but by the end of day 2 walked with me like she'd been doing it for months, she was not house broken but after 2 accidents on day one has never done so again. I take her for many short rides in my vehicle and while I must still guide her in she is quite relaxed there now and has never again been sick. She already knows the commands 'sit' and 'go to your bed' and 'kennel up' and she comes when she hears her name, every time, not just occasionally... I swear she likes her name, answered to it almost instantly. Abby loves her, was very patient and kind when she was so afraid, kept her distance and kept downsizing her approach when Sasha was so clearly frightened by her. She started with barking and racing around her then went to barking and bouncing and eventually she stood back about 3 feet and bounced in place until the puppy raised a paw and tentatively reached out and smacked it down on the ground. Then Abby knew she was on the right track, she just kept coaxing until Sasha really started playing. There has been so much for her to learn, the cat (yikes, it scratches if you get to nosey) the chickens, the horses and oh yes, fans to cool the room and...and ...and... But she gets better and more confidant every day. Her first vet visit went well, she is healthy if a bit thin. Heart is clear and lungs, now she is wormed and spaying has been discussed and planned for. She was supposed to be my husbands dog and she does like him but it is me she has attached herself to. Sleeps at my feet while I sit at the computer and follows me all over while I do chores or house work. Sits outside the arena or round pen while I work horses and keeps a respectful distance when she follows as I lead them to and fro. She is quick to bark at strangers and will growl if pushed but we are working on that too and will be socializing her with anyone we can think of as soon as her shots are up to date. So if you have stuck with me this far, Thanks for reading, its nice to share. Any suggestions for socializing with people and dogs would be good, I am not concerned I can't turn her into the dog she should be but it never hurts to get ideas either.

P5200068.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What a little beauty. I'm so glad you have her...I know the whole "wanting to take the whole litter" thing. Looks to me like she is bonding with you big time. Hand feed her for about a week if you have not started doing so. For these big, serious breeds it's never too early to start socializing. By hand feeding her I mean taking the bowl in your hand, sticking your hand IN the bowl and letting her eat out of your hand. Do this for all meals for about a week. This teaches her not to be food aggressive and growly and also starts to help her to look at you in the Alpha roll. Yea it can get messy, but its well worth it. Good luck with her, she's beautiful and looks to me you've got her off to a great start.

Aww shes looks like a great girl!! And good for you for giving her a home! I also understand the "wanting to take the whole litter" stuff. We bought an Airedale from a stiuation that broke my heart. There was only 2 left and we told everyone about these puppies(actually 18 weeks old). I know for sure that a friend of my moms took one but I always think about that last girl..... I should have gone back for her
default_no.gif
. I know now that life would have been so hard with 2 of these strong willed girls. Finially after 9 years Lucy is slowing down ....I can't imagine my life with out her!! She may have had a hard start in life but she is the best thing in the world to me and my family!

You did a great thing by giving her a home with lots of love and attention and new family!! How fun!!! Enjoy her!!

Thanks guys
default_smile.png
I didn't think I was ready for a new dog yet after loosing our beloved Magnum so unexpectedly but here she is and I am really enjoying her emerging personality. Today for the first time she actually tried to instigate play with me. She is a funny sweet girl behind the extreme caution she exhibits and I hope to bring that out in her. Sterling, thank you for the great advice, I agree whole heartedly with you, all my dogs, big or little must learn to take food from my hands gently and that all food is mine and only when I give them the go ahead can they eat it. I expect to be able to remove things from their mouths when I want/need to. My biggest concern with her is her inclination to hide from anything new and how quick she is to bark (and growl if she feels cornered) when someone or something new enters her environment. I am working on her understanding that if I say its safe then she must accept it. My special needs daughter comes home for the weekend on Saturday night and I'm not sure how that will go. My daughter must be kept safe and she won't understand that Sasha is afraid of her. Still it should be a good opportunity to help her accept changes and strange activity.

I used to breed Doberman's and socialization is so important with these large breeds.

Not because they are mean but just because they are so big and people tend to be

afraid of them.

I'd switch out puppies in a litter and take them to the park, several at a time and let

people pet and handle them. I'd even go to the grocery store and walk around and

inevitably some little kid would drag their parent over, to pet the doggie.

Lots of places to go where people love to pet on your pup.

Sasha sounds like she is very smart, willing and is certainly still young enough to shape

her into the best buddy, you desire.

Hope the other babies in the litter will be as lucky, as she was to find you.

Equuisize, its funny you mention that. The one and only litter of pups I have ever bred for went with me from 4 weeks or so on in groups of 3 or 4 to visit the special needs kids at the hi school (and all the kids that happened by in the halls lol) they went anywhere and every where we could think to take them. By the time they were ready to find new families they were so well socialized that the most common comment I got from their new families was, "they love every one and are sooo patient with kids" I can hardly wait until the vet gives us the go ahead to get Sasha out and about, after the 2nd shots she says (particularly since we have no knowledge of moms vaccination status)

The good news is that my daughter has been here for several days and is leading her around all day long. They lay together in the sun, the rest together in the shade and they watch TV together in the evening. My daughter can't talk but Sasha already comes to her when she 'calls' (just a loud sound she makes) and goes to her of her own accord first thing in the morning (after her potty break outside of course). She was a bit jumpy the first night but by day 2 she just accepted her as part of her world and hasn't had any concerns about her since.
default_aktion033.gif

As for the rest of the litter, I feel so bad about the ones not chosen but I know I can't save them all no matter how I would love to. Maybe he has already taken them to the SPCA since he is not advertising them any more. I sure do hope so, at least there they will have a chance at a future.

Back