Horses attacked by pit bulls (update on page 9)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deed, not the breed, people, there are many, many BRILLIANT lovely Pitbulls out there.
I have to agree with you slightly on this. There are some lovely pitbulls out there, but not many of them. I'm not sure if this is such a problem overseas, but most pitbulls here are bred to be mean, nasty, violent dogs and I have known some to snap for absolutely no clear reason.

I myself knew one since he was a puppy who was loved, well taken care of, and well adjusted. While waking to my neighbors home one day he suddenly snapped the chain he was on (no, he was not always chained but they had no fence so he was chained for part of the day to be outdoors), ran straight to me, and ripped my leg in the calf so hard that I still do not have feeling there.

He did it again two weeks later with still no provocation.

Unfortunately there are not many sane specimens of most fighting breeds left in the States that I can find. The responsibly bred ones are amazing dogs! And yes there are crazy dogs in every breed! But Pits here are MADE to be insane.

This is terrible. I am so sorry for the loss of your mare and the damage done to your stallion. The owners of the pit bulls should have had them in a secure kennel they could not escape from. I am glad they have said they will take responsibility.

There are many wonderful pits out there.. and there are of course a lot that were bred from fighting that can be dangerous. It is the humans fault they try and create dangerous animals. The breed is not bad.. but has been tainted significantly. I adopted a pit puppy knowing that it had come from people who had fought... after a year she ended up being aggressive to both humans and animals and had to be put down. It was so sad- she could not help what they had made her to be.

I really do hope for the best with your stallion and wish you the best of luck with all the trouble the attacks have caused you.

Good evening my forum family,

Cowboy is in good spirits today. Yesterday the vet put him in an outside run as he hadn't pooped during Sat night and we were concerned he was colicing. Needless to say he pooped alot and was full of himself. This evening I went again after work. The places on his face are sluffing off the dead tissue and skin, so he looks a bit frightful. The swelling is going down in his testicles.

Attached is from this evening. There is a hole in the side where the dead tissue has sluffed off. Hopefully, this will fill in as he heals.

My husband left a message for the Animal Control agent for them to get us a copy of the incident report, then we will report to the local police dept for property damage.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cowboy face FEb 27.jpg

Your poor boy, the pics just break my heart. I am glad he was feeling a bit better today. The pain though must be just awful, as dog bites not only tear the holes but crush tissue....

I am so sorry to be reading about this. It has been a fear of mine since i moved to Florida. It seems that the Pit bull here is the state bird... Everyone has one. My neighbor down the road says there are 3 that come down our road every morning and one is really nasty. i live at the end of this mile long private road. No one on our road owns a pit bull. i have no climb and field fencing around the whole farm and pastures, so I can only hope that they can not get in.

How scary to read about my worst fear since moving here. Think i will get a gun and lear how to shoot it!!

I hope your boy gets better, and since you do not seem to want to breed as you are getting a Jenny, maybe it would be best for Cowboy to get gelded, then the bill is on your neighbor.
default_yes.gif
Just a thought.

Trish: This is Nancy at Mystic Moon. I tried to email you privately but it came back. I am so sorry to hear about Pearl and Cowboy. Pearl was a beautiful mare and she reminded me so much of Natasha when I saw her at Nationals. Feel like we have also suffered a loss since she was Tasha's baby. We hope Cowboy will continue his progress and recover. Would love to hear from you.......our email [email protected]

My heart breaks for you! I am so sorry this happened. Your poor boy too!! I pray he heals up perfectly! Hugs and prayers for this whole horrible situation you are having to go thru.

Just checking back in. Still sending prayers for Cowboy and for you. This will be a long road and my heart breaks for your loss and the emotional stress you are going through.

It's so heartbreaking to see those pictures. You have been given a lot of good solid advice here. I used to work for Animal Control in another state, but AC should have taken the other pit bull they still have. Try to make sure they do and you have a lot of reason to. Give AC more pics of your stallion's injuries, I hope they took pictures of the scene, where the dogs got in etc. They will also testify in cases, and since the other dog also has shown agression, they should not have left him there. I know you have a lot on your plate now, and it sucks pondwater that you have to deal with attorny's, AC, and everything else involved.

Just think about other animals in the vicinity, and children. By earnestly pursuing this with an attorney to recover costs, you could possible help prevent another incident.

No matter how sweet, loving, and family friendly they may be, a Pit can never be trusted 100%. It isn't their fault, it is instinctive.

Good evening my forum family,

Went to see Cowboy before and after work. I was able to get an update from my vet. He said he is pleased with the progress, but wants to keep Cowboy there till Monday next week. He is pleased with how the testicles are looking. There is a good chance we will not have to geld him. I had him with Pearl for 2 years and they didn't do the dance. The wounds on his face is the main focus at this time. They are still treating him 2 times a day, pulling off sluffed off scabs and dead tissue, applying antibiotic gel. I ask if the wounds would possibly cause absesses in his mouth, he told me Cowboy's mouth looked good.

Thanks for all your kind words and prayers.

We are rethinking the jenny issue. I just don't want Cowboy to be alone, but I don't want to keep worrying about if he and a companion are compatible.

We live in town and have a large lot and the horse pen is 40 x 40 with a shelter that is 12 x 8. We are currently remodeling our house ( was my husband's grandmother's house, build in 1956). Our plans are to finish the remodel and put it on the market and find a house with 5-10 acres outside town. I really want to wait till we are in the country to get a new mare (I'm too emotional to replace Pearl yet).

006.JPG

I am glad to hear he is doing better each day.... I just feel so badly. Keep us posted but sounds like he is doing ok so far. How are you going to ensure when he gets home that the dog that is still there is in no way EVER going to get loose?

Glad to hear he's holding his own and things are looking up for him. I still can't get over this and just feel horrible for you and the horses.

Pearl was lovely.
default_wub.png

I'm so glad things are going well so far for Cowboy. And Pearl was a lovely mare.

I'm sure you will never get over such a horrible experience.

Any chance of the courts making your neighbor get rid of their remaining dog, as they have not shown

the proper responsibility to own such powerful and dangerous animals.

((((HUGS)))) and prayers to you and your family

Cowboy was likely trying to protect the mare, as much as trying to protect himself.

Pitbulls go after the head and neck.

The same pitbull that may be considered a great family dog, often is a horriffic dog to all other animals. Google pitbull and you will get more incidents than you wish to know about involving both humans and animals. Pitbulls are banned from several countries, and a number of American cities, and for good reasons.

I would personally be scared to have one next door after seeing them in action here.

Here is just one of many incidents recorded about pitbulls attacking horses. And this is a full size horse. Once these pitbulls go on the attack they are in a frenzy and even the owners cannot control them.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=12461210

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening forum family,

Cowboy is doing better day by day. The wounds are healing up. Just a slow process. Still looking at bringing him home on Monday.

I spoke with the Animal Control Agent today for roughly 17 minutes. I got to hear more of the details of the initial encounter with the neighbors. Boy what a mess.

Please keep us in your prayers to do the right thing. We have to go to the Animal Control Dept to request a copy of the report. He said he couldn't do anything about the last dog until the dog got out and attacked again. Oh Boy!! He told me we should secure the shared fence where the dogs got thru. We are getting chainlink fencing and T-post and running it all along the entire fence with the jagged part on the bottom and we may run a strane of barbed wire too.

below are a before and a today to compare how he is healing. There is a piece of pine shavings that he wouldn't let me pick out of the wound.

Cowboy face.jpg

update pic Mar 1, 2012 Cowboy\'s face.jpg

How terrible.. I'm sorry for what happened to your babies...

So sorry to hear about Cowboy. Our toy Aussie was attacked by a pit in November. Thank god after surgery she recovered. I wish they were banned, they are dangerous dogs.

I am so sorry for your poor little babies, looking at the photos is heart breaking so I can't even imagine how messed up you must feel. It is wonderful to hear that Cowboy is healing fast and I will pray that he makes a complete recovery. I would not be able to sleep knowing there is still a PB next door, I think I would have to do something about that. I was attacked by a pit bull puppy and so I know only too well what they are like.

default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back