Candy foaled!!! But I need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this thread, glad to see your filly has come through a tough day and looks to be healthy and happy! So glad to see too that you are having an IgG done, looks can be deceiving with a new foal.

We had one last year who didn't get colostrum (mare's milk didn't come in for a few days). The filly was given plasma and never looked back. She's strong, healthy and rules the roost LOL. (and her new "mom" had her in 4 little tennis shoes today getting ready to go to nursing homes!)

Jan

What a doll!! She sure took after momma. Glad she is doing well.
default_aktion033.gif

Thank you so much .. We just love her to death and dont know what we'd do if we were to lose her now. I did get in touch with someone at 1 of the vets and they said they can come out tomorrow and pull blood but wouldnt get it off until Tues and we wouldnt hear from it till Thursday. I am going to call a couple other vets I know and see if they can get me some results sooner than that.

Where I am its really hard to find straw for bedding.. is it ok to put shavings down in the stall with them? I have been using hay and just keeping it picked up several times a day.

Thanks,

Mendy

I'll have to find the link, but there are new "snap tests" that you can buy now for IgG that you can do yourself at home. Might take too long to get it now (maybe overnight it) or whatnot but for future reference. they weren't horribly expensive either.. a lot cheaper than paying a vet travel just to get to your farm and then the rest of the tests!

It would be great if you could find that link.. I had NEVER thought about this happening .. I had planned for everything else that could possibly go wrong. I can have it overnighted, I am NOT getting much help out of the vets in this area.. We are planning on putting our house up for sale and moving. I now know one more thing to look into besides school districts: vets in the area.

Mendy

I'm so happy she's nursing and energetic! I love how she got momma's crooked blaze!
default_yes.gif

There are others who will know more, but I think it's OK to wait until Thursday for the results - as long as she doesn't go downhill in the meantime - and then the transfer can happen then if she needs it.

Does anyone know how long you have to do the transfer?

I also found this one... http://www.midlandbio.com/price_list.shtml...ostrumEquineIgG .. I am going to call and see if there is another vet that can do this test and get some answers sooner.. If noone around here can, I'm gonna have one of these overnighted to me, if they can't.. I'm gonna have them come out and have the results Thursday.. One way or another I will find out by Friday!!! How can I deny this little face anything?

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

Mendy

A vet should be able to come and do the snap test at your farm today and you'd have the results while he/she is there! I would be concerned waiting past today to find out your fillies' immunity level.

I am going to be on the phone calling them at 8 .. If i have to call every vet in the phone book to find one that knows what I am talking about.. I am SO disappointed in our local vets. What amazes me is that we are in a mainly agricultrual state and have so many equine functions, I actually had someone at one of the vets tell me that the IgG test was simply the coggins test. I was like NO and explained it to her and she said well we can have that test run for you but if we pull it today and send it off, we'll have the results back Thursday morning and she'll have more colostrum in her by then. I was the one that said NOOOOO SHE WILL NOT... and I lost it
default_new_argue.gif
:DOH! What cracker jack box did she get her degree from? GEEEEEsh.

Wow what a pretty little filly... I think I have found another reason to LOVE my Vet. I am so sorry that you arent having very good luck with the vets in your area.. My vet can do that snap test as well with results while you wait... I think those vets need to come into the current times. Good luck with your baby...If your baby doesnt have enough antibodies she will need a transfusion soon.... I will pray for her health.... Take care...

What a SWEET Babydoll!!

I am so glad she is better, hopefully after the test then you can rest finally..

Thanks for sharing pix of her.

Bummer your vets are being such dopes :DOH!

I think your baby is adorable! I would also encourage you to act fast on getting the IgG test done - today - even if you have to drive a distance! (Speaking from experience, unfortunately). I will be anxious to hear how your baby is doing
default_smile.png
Keeping my fingers crossed
default_smile.png

Peggy

The one that horselady found is the one that I was talking about (very reasonable prices on them). Sorry i was looking for the page last night! guess i need to put it in my bookmarks! lol

I am going to be on the phone calling them at 8 .. If i have to call every vet in the phone book to find one that knows what I am talking about.. I am SO disappointed in our local vets. What amazes me is that we are in a mainly agricultrual state and have so many equine functions, I actually had someone at one of the vets tell me that the IgG test was simply the coggins test. I was like NO and explained it to her and she said well we can have that test run for you but if we pull it today and send it off, we'll have the results back Thursday morning and she'll have more colostrum in her by then. I was the one that said NOOOOO SHE WILL NOT... and I lost it
default_new_argue.gif
:DOH! What cracker jack box did she get her degree from? GEEEEEsh.
OMG! That's unbelievable. MORE colostrum by then? She's pretty much done with the colostrum. Wow. Crazy. It can be hard to find a good, knowledgable vet. When a vet/vet assistant doesn't know BASIC stuff like that, it's scary. It's not even like that information is strictly for horses; in any mammal, colostrum is just the first milk -like 24 hours or so-. Wow!

well I DID find a vet that could help me!!! He just came out said she has a good bite.. and looks great overall. Said she was "spunky"!! But he will have the results to me within the hour!!! I will let ya know what he says.. cross your fingers!!

That is wonderful news !!! I sure hope everything is fine..She is a gorgeous little girl.... Glad to hear the initial report was good... Cant wait for the rest of the news....

She is just beautiful. What a precious little girl.
default_wub.png

Hopefully all her results come back with excellent news.

Latest posts

Back