Candy foaled!!! But I need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I am its really hard to find straw for bedding.. is it ok to put shavings down in the stall with them? I have been using hay and just keeping it picked up several times a day.

Thanks,

Mendy
I can't believe nobody has responded to this question yet! There is a very real risk of the baby inhaling or eating shavings, and suffering some serious health problems as a result. Some people may not have a problem with it, but, to be on the safe side, I wouldn't put her on shavings.

Thank you for answering that for me!!! Well the results are in... she is borderline, he said that he wouldn't put her through the IgG oral just yet.. said that he thinks that 1/2 SMZ for 2 weeks should give her enough time to get her immunity up a little. He said that its not so low he's over concerned but he wants to be on the safe side and give her a little help with the SMZ's. I am a nervous wreak, no sleep, completely exhausted and so overwhelmed.. and its still not over. He told me if I for ANY reason needed him with her to just call. I wonder if he is aware of the can of worms he opened up with that one?

pic from today..

IMG_0635.jpg

Mendy

well I am relieved for you that it wasnt worse., I worried so much about that little filly....I will keep praying that she stays healthy she is such a little doll. I hope her momma has finally taken to motherhood and is taking care of the little one.. Maiden mares always worry me as you never know how they will react... Take care,try to rest and relax some..Enjoy that filly... Take care...
default_wub.png

I've used shavings successfully for foaling out. With rubber stall mats, straw can be very slippery and the baby can have trouble getting sufficient traction. It's also much easier to keep the stall dry with shavings(important for the umbilical stump and warmth). So, shavings were recommended by the vets I was using (good vets). They felt the risk of inhaling shavings was lower than the dangers of poor traction. However, our first foal of this year decided that stuffing his face full of shavings was the thing to do, to the point that his suction power was decreased. He was like a chipmunk! I was removing the shavings from his mouth 2-3 times a day. After two days of that, I switched the stall over to straw. He tried out the straw and decided it didn't taste nearly as good as the shavings and so his cheeks are now empty. So, I guess the straw vs shavings decision can depend on the particular situation. Hope your filly continues to do well. She's a cutie.

Many mares have a favorite spot to pee so I have used woody pet in that spot covered with shavings and hay on top of that a few days after foaling.When the babies are about 1 week old I switch to shavings(still use the woody pet in the bad wet spots).Haven't had a problem so far.Keep us posted on your baby.

Well I was able to get her SMZ in her this morning.. and while I was at the vet I picked up a 60cc syringe (for the breast pump) and a tube of banamine... Just in case!!! If not for here, incase anyone around here EVER has this happen.. lol I DID NOT like being so unprepared for this!!

Thanks again,

Mendy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to hear your little beauty is spunky and doing well.
default_biggrin.png
I hope she continues to approve. She's adorable and I love her face markings.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back