Candy foaled!!! But I need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally collaped last night at 8 and slept till 10 to let my only help (my daughter) get some more sleep. We took shifts but this morning we have a happy, healthy bucking little girl.. lol She's been nursing all night completely on her own. I have so much respect for anyone who breeds miniature horses, this was my one and only due this year (and we bought her bred, and actually didnt find out until after we had her a week). I dont think anyone understands the stresses, worries, and the mental and physical things it does to you until you literally go through it. And to call 3 vets and they all sound like idiots to you with no help and not even words of comfort (only more aggrivation) and then have SOOO many people with so much experience willing to do what they can to help.. The people on this forum were a God send yesterday. Ya'll were this babies only help yesterday and I cant thank you ENOUGH!!

Mendy

I'm so excited for you and your daughter that she's doing good ,she's a beauty
default_wub.png

Your right it is so stressful, you get excited for foaling season but you worry the whole season

about your mares foaling.

We had 6 bred mares in 2007 and lost our first 2 foals one aborted and one we had to have put down at 10 hours old due to serious leg problems but when those 4 healthy happy beautiful foals followed

it let us know why we go through it all

our first mare (we have 5 bred this year)is not due till 5/10/08 but I am already in worry state and will stay there till our last mare foals in september.

we have only been breeding since 2004 so we are not very experienced compared to most of the people on this forum but they are truely so much help when you need it they are as you said a GOD SEND when your worried about something or have an emergency.

God Bless this forum they are always there when you need them (even in the middle of the night)

Lori

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Congrats on your new Filly
default_aktion033.gif
I'm glad to hear all worked out well. Just to be sure the filly is nursing well all you have to do is feel mama's teets and if they are soft you will know baby has been drinking if they are rock hard I'd be concerned. But it sounds as if you are over your hurdle so now just sit back and enjoy your little beauty.
default_yes.gif

Glad she is doing well, congratulations on a beautiful filly!!!!

Glad she is finally nursing! I want to repeat what someone else said about getting her IgG checked. If she didn't get enough colostrum she has no immune system and is very likely to get sick. It is preventable if you know she has failure of passive transfer.

Good luck. Let us know how everything goes.

She had a short supervised outting this morning and I wanted to show ya'll what I mean by a happy bucking little girl...

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Thanks so much

Mendy

What a pretty little filly! Hope she continues to do well.

Jodi

Glad your baby is doing better.I second what was said-get a vet to draw blood on Monday to have an IgG done.Babies can get sick and go down hill in a few hours if things are not right.You don't need that stress on top of all you have already had.I have no babies due this year after almost 20 years of breeding.I am sure I will have withdraw symptoms, but it will be nice to not have the added stress.I look forward to seeing photos of everyones' cute babies.Keep us posted on your bucking princess.

I want to repeat what someone else said about getting her IgG checked. If she didn't get enough colostrum she has no immune system and is very likely to get sick.
Please have the vet do this ASAP

I have read on here how a seemingly healthy foal can get very sick if it is too low

she is beautiful again congratulations

Lori

I will have one out tomorrow.. if they like it or not.. lol Is there anything else that needs to be checked while he's here? This is my first mini baby and I had myself worked up over all the complications that could happen but I didnt really count on THIS. What will they do if her count is low?

Thanks,

Mendy

It's kind of late now, but did you save the afterbirth?

I put mine in a bag or bucket for the vet to check over. It is important to make sure nothing was retained. It could cause an infection.

Congrats on your little girl!

Carolyn

Believe it or not.. I do still have it, its in a black plastic bag (thanks to the foaling kit I got together from the lists on this forum). K.. I'll get the bloodwork drawn for the IgG and have the afterbirth checked.. I'll ask him what else he thinks needs to be checked but I am very disappointed in 2 or the 4 vets I use. The other 2 were at a convention so they get some slack.

Mendy

When the vet comes they should do a general physial exam, check bite, umbilicus, listen to heart lungs, look at the eyes etc. Then they will draw blood to test the IgG level. If the IgG is too low (failure of passive transfer) they can give a transfusion of hyperimmune plasma. Since the GI tract is now closed to large proteins, immunoglobulins have to be administered directly into the bloodstream.

I'm glad you are having them out. As others have said foal's with FPT can go from bucking and healthy to flat out sick in a matter of hours. You don't want to lose her after everything you're been through. Be sure to tell the vet that comes that you feel the emergency coverage you received was lacking. They can determine if they need to address that.

Glad she's doing better, very pretty little filly! Hope everything goes well! She is really cute, and full of energy!
default_yes.gif

It's good to see her running around. Congrats again! Glad that all went well yesterday!

Enjoy her!

P.S Did you think of a name yet?

~Jessica

She's a doll! Congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif

I'm glad you'll get her checked out.
default_smile.png

Such a beautiful filly!!!
default_wub.png

I was holding my breath reading what you've been going through, and I am SOOO glad she is doing OK now!

I hope everything checks out perfectly tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back