Calling all dog breeders!!! What do you breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We breed Pembroke Welsh Corgis although we have been concentrating more on showing here lately. We have a young tri male who will be starting his show career shortly after the first of the year.

Josh

Hee hee a girl has to have plans
wink.gif

minisaremighty said:
aktion033.gif
  I get such a kick out of those silly bulldogs!!!  My BIL has a female that he rescued.  Her name is Betty Lou and she only has one eye (the other was injured in some sort of accident before he acquired her).  She is such a riot. 
laugh.gif
    Those chows are something else.  I've only ever seen a few in person.  I know they are much more dog than I would ever be able to handle! 
I have to say Runamuk, that I think you do a great job with taking in those dogs in need until they can be rehomed.
aktion033.gif

aktion033.gif
  I'd LOVE to do it.  I love all breeds, but hubby wouldn't have it.  At least not yet.
biggrin.gif
  Someday, after the kids are out of the house, I've got plans. 
yes.gif
He just isn't aware of it. 
wink.gif
  It will fall under the guise of empty nest syndrome and I'm SURE he'll give in. 
biggrin.gif

530483[/snapback]

WE breed, raise & have shown Miniature Schnauzers. We used to show the horses in summer & the schnauzers in the winter but the last time we showed one ourselves was when our grandson drowned on his school trip.we quit showing them & last year we had a handler show our stud dog to his championship. They are the most adorable, non-shedding, non allergenic dogs-- which is why I chose them as I have Asthma.

I started out showing Akitas, then retired them to my water bed.
yes.gif
In the last 10 yrs I have raised and shown Anatolian Shepherds. They are good all around dogs. They guard my horses, come in the house and guard the sofa, uh I mean me.
wink.gif

I also have a rescued Australian Cattle Dog that just tolerates sharing me
new_shocked.gif
, and I have a 4 yr old Tibetan Spaniel (male) that got both his majors as a 6 month old.
yes.gif
Regrettably, I haven't had the time to finish him or the money to send him out with someone.
no.gif

I have also had a rescue Rottie, that I adored. Will have to own another of those some day. Although I've been looking at the Bull Mastiffs lately. somebody help me!!! I had all I could do to stay home when I saw an ad for Rottie Bull Mastiff cross puppies.
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

You can see the Anatolains on my website at rockinrobinminis.com under Anatolians and puppies. One of my favorite pictures is on the home page at the bottom.

Kay, I love the blue merle in the first picture.

Robin

Thanks, Runamuk and Minisaremighty!

I'm really enjoying seeing all these dogs...it's making me want to go fill out those entries!

Shelley

I haven't bred a litter since '94, and still have one Golden from that litter laying at my feet right now.

I started with Border Terriers back in the 70's and they are still my favorite, though I'm BTless for the moment. Just wonderful companions; I love them. At the time we were showing them, they were an owner-handled breed. Not so much anymore.

I also raised Golden Retrievers. I love them, quite possibly the worlds most happy creature, but not sure if I will have another. They do have many more health issues than BT's. And lots of hair
wacko.gif
and that's just a heck of a big dog to have on your lap.

I also raised (although never bred a litter) Dobies, another breed I'm totally crazy about and will have again someday. Rabbit: although their tails were docked before I got any of them, ALL of them had soft ears and were beautiful. I always had to get my Dobie-related trinkets from England, everything here is cropped.

I did show my dogs until I moved up to Idaho (8 hour drive to get a major up here). We competed in conformation (except the Dobies-soft ears don't get looked at here), obedience, agility, terrier trials (total blast) and retriever trails (always seemed to be cold and wet). When I lived in CA, I had a training kennel and trained and handled terriers, sporting breeds, working breeds, some herding and non-sporting, the occasional hound and one wolf-hybrid (most definitely NOT a dog). I do miss showing and training dogs, but have put that on the back burner for now to focus on my ponies.

thanks so much for the compliments! they really are scarey smart
smile.gif

kathleen i laughed so hard when i saw that pic of your hairless dog. Soooo cute! Wow you wouldnt believe how many times per day i vaccum having 3 border collies in the house LOL

We raise miniature schnauzer's... We just love them... they have great temperments around children and our other animals and they don't shed which is wonderful if you have them inside which we do. They are not big barkers, except when someone comes to the door, they let us know someone is here they don't know.. and they will continue until I let them know it's okay, but if I want them to bark I don't tell them it's okay.. THey don't get very big, but they aren't too tiny either just the perfect size, We have 2 of ours on our webpage. The female is going to have a litter the middle of next month... we also have 2 more that I have not had time to put on our website.. We own a all white male and a solid black mail and we have 2 salt/pepper females. The one pregnant now is a deeper salt/pepper and the other is a real light salt/pepper.

Growing up we raised Golden's and we always had JRT's around and a couple of wonderful spaniels.

Dogs are my first love!

I always wanted to get back into raising/showing quality dogs. I purchased a lab and that was my plan
biggrin.gif

The dog was/is great BUT the showing dog scene is NOT my cup of tea!!!!!!

For me it was a very different experience than the ones I had growing up showing our dogs!!

I went to many, many topnotch breeders in New England looking for a suitable stud for my dog and was unimpressed by what I saw! The websites looked wonderful but many were just in it for the money and once the dog had earned it's money it was moved on
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

My dogs are part of my family and always will be.

I bred my lab twice to 2 beautiful studs and she had some great pups, one of which went Champion just after her first Birthday
biggrin.gif
She is not only beautiful but she is smart and loved and has a forever home with my friend. Who is a wonderful breeder/trainer who shows and owns many great dogs!

So now Luna is retired, spayed and my constant companion!!

I now raise shortie JRT"s and love the variety of the terrier.My preference is 10" and under at the shoulder, one of mine is 11" but all others are under.

I raise my Jack's for good tempered, healthy, balanced dog that is pleasant in the home and around the barn but all terrier when the need arises!!!!!! I have never sold a pup without a lifetime contract that if the buyer should ever need to rehome their dog that I will get first refusal.

I must say I was going to buy a beautiful Cardigan Corgi from a lady in England 3 years ago and wish I had, I love them!! I also am intrigued by the mini Australian Shephard.

I like a dog that can work and play!!!!

BTW, anyone know anything about the Feist terrier???

My dogs! Murphy with my girls

P1010398.jpg

Jackie, I just woke him up to take this!!

P1010540.jpg

Murphy again

P1010529.jpg

Tizzy

P1010409.jpg

Tulip, for me an ideal size, coat and colored Jack! Can you tell she's my best pal!

P1010475.jpg

I show Australian Cattle Dogs (my dogs are ALWAYS owner-handled). I haven't raised a litter yet (tho' I've been involved in the breed for nearly 15 years now), but will in the future. (my dogs are at my website listed below)

Because I'm honest, I'll state (this is all listed on my website too) that my male tested unilaterally deaf, and so I had considered neutering him (despite how nice he is compared to most of the ACDs I've come across in the shows). However, I'm hearing more and more that it's suspected that unilateral deafness in ACDs is not transmittable like full deafness and was being encouraged by numerous people to not "jump the gun" with my boy. He is out of fully hearing dogs with full hearing in their pedigrees and all of his siblings are full-hearing. We dont' think he developed his hearing loss as a pre 8-week pup (about the time when genetic deafness develops in ACD pups).......it seems he developed the deafness in the one ear at about a year and a half (heck, as much of a cannon ball as he was I wouldn't doubt that he didn't KNOCK his eardrum silly).....we tested him this fall to be sure and he was indeed deaf in one ear. A woman who has been in the breed for MANY years and who I greatly admire (breeds VERY healthy INCREDIBLE dogs) was actually angry at me for even considering castrating my dog for this particular reason. She said my male is far nicer than 90% of the dogs out there including some of the top 10 dogs on the circuit (he did beat not one but TWO top 10 dogs to take BOB and a 5 point major to finish his AKC CH), and said he is the only outside dog she would ever consider breeding to (this is from a lady that I've not heard compliment ANYONE) and in the very least I should consider breeding him to a nice, healthy bitch who would make a nice cross with him as a test litter. I haven't decided to do so yet, but MAY. His hips came back as OFA fair....when I saw the xrays before they were sent I suspected they were borderline good/fair and could have gone either way. The xrays themselves werent' great xrays either and that does have a lot of effect on the ratings (you would be surprised at what kind of difference xray quality makes in OFA ratings). I'll go on to PennHip him to be sure but I don't suspect trouble in the hip area. He is also a PRA carrier, but once the blood test was developed for detection of this disease it was found that 75% of ACDs were either carriers or affected so we can use this testing to gradually breed it out, but the gene pool is far too shallow to toss out the carriers (or even the dogs that are affected who are otherwise GREAT dogs). In the mean time I'm not really done showing my male so he'll stay intact while I do so. Regardless, I'm known as the "testing queen" around here and so any litters I produce will be tested, tested, tested.
yes.gif

My female isn't bad. She's full-hearing, PRA clear and has good hips and is a great mover, but personally she's not the type of dog I like. She'll be bred sometime in the next two years for a return puppy for her breeder, but I probably won't keep anything out of the litter. If she weren't my "husband's" dog she probably wouldn't be here still.

I'm hoping to add a very nice female, but the hunt will be long because I'm REALLY picky.

I own and breed Australian Sheperhds & Mini Aussies. I've had two litters of standard size aussies and just had my first litter of Mini aussies. well i'm not sure if technically they will be mini's..lol my mini bitch was bred to my standard male. So far two of them ahve not gained more than 1 lbs a week and theya re 5 weeks old now and a friend that has bred mini's for a while said typically they stay mini if they dont' gain more than 1 lbs a week. they are cute as the dickens! lol My web page is www.boinky.net they are AWESOME smart intelligent loyal dogs. INCREDIBLY easy to train and work with. Mine aren't overly hyper as many say aussies are..but i'm also with them 90% of the time..they aren't destructive to me and are all couch potatoes and are content to go out when i go outdoors ect. just love them.. just completely the right dogs for me!!

Look like a lot of us are dog lovers too. Count me in!!!! I have owned raised and shown dogs for 30 years now and have had dogs that were #1 in the country and many others in the top 20 in the US in various disciplines including conformation, obedience and lure coursing. I have shown/owned afghans hounds, english mastiffs, basenjis, a borzoi, italian greyhounds and the current loves of my life are chinese cresteds and affenpinschers. I have an affen in the top 25 affens in the US currently! My newest breed are mini dachshunds and I have longhairs, wires and a smooth. We just had our 1st longhair litter born and got pretty colors and since both parents have produced show pups we are hoping for that too. Our Longhair show puppy male was just in his 1st show and darn near won a major. He is entered in the big january circuit here in florida. I just tried to download pix and boomspeed isnt working AGAIN. Please check out my website for doggy pix and email if u would like dachs pix as I dont even have them up on website yet. www.hairicane.com

OOPs I forgot totally about our anatolians!!! How could I do that,lol.

We have a pair of them and they rule the roost and make us all feel very safe. They are wonderful dogs!

We aren't dog breeders, but have been considering the Mini Aussies. We have a male that has sired some awesome puppies, but we haven't found the perfect couple of bitches yet, so we'll keep looking around. Right now we have Sabrina, spayed Aussie, and Gunner the Mini Aussie.

Robin, (and anyone else with the Anatolians), are you expecting/planning puppies for 06? We'd love to get one or two that have been raised in a family setting with lots of animals/kids, etc.

We tried (unsuccessfully) to get an Anatolian here. A young female that ended up being a real pain. She lasted here 4 weeks - after killing a couple of our chickens, being afraid of the minis and trying to do in the cat we returned her to her breeder. Came to find out she was a 'mistake' breeding of two littermates, so may have just been nuts. She was sweet, but shouldn't have been allowed to go to a working farm, she might have been a good companion.

We use to have Dobies - love that breed - but was always concerned about getting new ones with the minis. Not so much the adults, but with the foals, etc. We did have one female that had her ears done - what a mess - after that we've always kept them natural, and won't own one with the ears done again (unless it was a rescue!).

aktion033.gif
This has been a great thread! There are soooo many dog lovers out there!! I've learned a little more about a lot of breeds and got to see some nice photos on some websites. Thanks for sharing!!!!

I breed and sell Toy Astralian shepards, the are very samll and one of them helps me herd the minis in.

I have one available. Black tri male can send picture

Joyce

minisaremighty said:
I'm just curious how many of you out there are dog breeders and what breed(s) you breed or have bred.  I'm not a breeder, but always curious about those who are.  Just LOVE dogs and we're considering a new puppy sometime next year if things work out.
How did you choose your breed? Were there drawbacks to breeding your particular breed?  (difficult births,etc.)  Were there benefits? (easier birthing, etc.)  Do you show your dogs?  Or just breed for the love of the breed? 

Whatever else you want to share would be great (especially photos!!).
yes.gif

Edited to add:  If you have a website featuring the dogs you breed, PLEASE post it!  I LOVE looking at websites and learning about breeders and their dogs.
yes.gif

aktion033.gif

530125[/snapback]

Over the years we have shown and been owned by Shelties, boxers and more recently my dalmation and Pyrnese. A few years ago I sucumbed to a rather new breed - Havanese - whom I had adored for several years but never jumped in on. What a mistake - they are wonderful, smart, funny companions, non-shedding hypoallergenic. We show and have been fortunate to have champions and now are sharing our bed with 4 of these wonderful little dogs. I am an idiot when it comes to posting, but you can check our AKC and find the Havanese there. As I am typing Daisy in in my lap giving me her opinion of just exactly where the empty ice cream bowl should really be!

I love this thread.....and the pictures of the dogs you all have!!!!

I don't breed dogs of any kind.....my two boys are neutered.

Every so often I yearn for a third dog but in reality I do not have the patience to raise another puppy.

So its nice to get my new puppy fix just by looking at these pictures and reading the posts!

BTW I have a 150 plus pound pinto Anatolian, Zeus. And a red/white Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Jasper. Neither is registered and both are neutered.

Breeds we have owned and enjoyed in the past:

Akita

Old English Sheepdog

Labrador Retriever

Miniature Schnauzer

Boston Terrier

I have enjoyed this thread also! I have never bred nor shown dogs but enjoy mine!

I have a minpin, a schipperke, and a poodle cross (that was SUPPOSED to be full poodle! LOL) -- they are my buds and keep me hopping! jennifer
saludando.gif

saludando.gif
I don't breed anymore. But istarted with rough coated collies then moved from the smallisland I was raised on into the suburbsand went into shelties.[great dogs] I also worked for a groomer for more than 13 years and then fell in love with the toy poodle and bred them for about 15 years. I handled great danes and border terriers [the most laid back of all the terriers I think] Allof them hav their plus sides and their minus. Collie shed but are easy to train. Poodles don't shed are smart but are demanding, they alsohave to have a lo of grooming. A friend once told me of border collies that you had better have a job for them because if you didn't they'd find one and you probley wouldn't like it. Go to shows and talk to people ,it's a hard choice and it's one you will have to dealwith for a lot of years. So don't rush into a choice.

Latest posts

Back