Calling all dog breeders!!! What do you breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisaremighty

Reaction score
I'm just curious how many of you out there are dog breeders and what breed(s) you breed or have bred. I'm not a breeder, but always curious about those who are. Just LOVE dogs and we're considering a new puppy sometime next year if things work out.

How did you choose your breed? Were there drawbacks to breeding your particular breed? (difficult births,etc.) Were there benefits? (easier birthing, etc.) Do you show your dogs? Or just breed for the love of the breed?

Whatever else you want to share would be great (especially photos!!).
yes.gif

Edited to add: If you have a website featuring the dogs you breed, PLEASE post it! I LOVE looking at websites and learning about breeders and their dogs.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Our old nabors (moved about 3yrs ago) bred hunting dogs and sell them after there trained. It was pretty loud around here ...
new_shocked.gif

My aunt breeds corgi's (or something like that, i think thats what there called) and shows them.

Leeana

We breed Great Pyrenees in Troy, Mo.

The sweetest, smartest dogs I have ever seen. (IMO)
aktion033.gif

My Mom bred Shetland sheepdogs. We have a Sheltie now that is wonderful with the horses, he loves to try and herd them, and they love to play halter tag with them. They don't dig holes, aren't chewers and they aren't too noisey. Housebreaking has always been easy.

I must warn you of people that breed any kind of dog where the mother isn't walked and taken out to do her business. When a puppy is raised in an environment that is dirty, it's difficult at best to housebreak. Puppies learn best from their Mom.

We never had a Sheltie that was difficult to house break. We have however owned a Bassett Hound that came from a kennel where the dogs just weren't walked. So the puppy was difficult at best to housebreak. We walked that dog every two hours, and even then, he'd flood out the house when he'd have an accident. He had no clue on what to do when we walked him. We tried crate training and that was a bust too, because it was okay with him to sleep in a dirty crate. So just be careful buying any puppy..

God Bless,

Lynn W

we breed border collies and they are the love of my life!! I have owned german shepards and shelties but once i got a border collie that was it for me. They are intelligent, loving, protective but not too protective etc. FOR ME they are the perfect dog and i cant imagine my life without them

Heres a couple puppies we have right now

bluepupnew.JPG

trifemale1-333x243.jpg

redmale2.JPG

I love border collies Kay, i didnt know you bred them!!!!!

I always liked them because they were good with the horses, one found its way here (it was a stray) a long time ago and it was the sweetest dog i had ever seen. we kept it in the garage one night to see if someone would claim it and made fliers and all that stuff. We got a call about a week later and found his owners, i didnt want to let him go.

I have a JRT cross puppy right now (yep, over there he is drooling on my bed) and he is a nice little pup.

Leeana

yep those are the loves of my life besides my hubby kids and horses LOL. The bottom one is a red tri colored male. Hes so charming and smart but that blue one at the top is a real character. Definately the alpha dog of the litter. thanks for your kind comments

I have been involved with Cairn Terriers for over 27 years....still have 3 now and a litter now and then.

They are the best little dogs...they THINK they are big and are fearless.

My Cairn Terriers

CyndiD said:
I have been involved with Cairn Terriers for over 27 years....still have 3 now and a litter now and then.
They are the best little dogs...they THINK they are big and are fearless.

My Cairn Terriers

530183[/snapback]

Cyndi:

I've never been a fan of the terriers, were too scruffy looking for me. For some reason over the past couple months, they have really started to appeal to me! Now I find them adorable! LOL! Go figure
rolleyes.gif
Hubby likes them too. Just curious about your Cairns. Are they bad diggers? I think that is another thing about terriers that has always turned me off was the digging. I realize that's what they were originally bred for, but I can't stand diggers. No matter how cute! LOL! Wondering if maybe that trait is being bred out now?? LOVED the pics on your site!!! Thanks for sharing!

I haven't bred dogs yet.....but the dog in my avatar is my first show dog (well she's only 7months old) and I hope to breed her! She is a Cardigan corgi ('the one that wags not wiggles'), and she is the greatest dog I've ever had. She has wormed her way into even my Dad's heart (and he was very upset about her coming into the house!!!) I fell in love with this breed through my riding coach, who has owned cardis for....well probably 30 years. I think every breed has it's good point and drawbacks though, so it depends on what you are looking for it to 'do' (or not do
wink.gif
)

~kathryn

dmkrieg said:
We breed Great Pyrenees in Troy, Mo.
The sweetest, smartest dogs I have ever seen. (IMO)
aktion033.gif

530134[/snapback]

NOw i agree they are the most wondeful dogs.. we fostered one for a while and never in my life have i had a dog like that

OK, lets see- Dobes, Shelties and Corgis, myself. Whippets, JRT's. Bichons, Cocker's- and - oh you name it whelping out for other people. And Cats, of course, don't forget the Cats!!!

I used to raise Yorkshire Terriers, but I NEVER wanted to sell the puppies so I stopped. I only have 2 females now.

I am just getting into this part of life. We have a Golden REtriever, but just found out her hips won't pass so, she will be spayed. This made me cry like you would not believe because she is just the best dog. Such an incredible temperment and smart as a whip!

We also have a chocolate lab, that is due to be spayed. And a black lab that will remain in tact untill I can get her hips and eyes checked. So far, it looks like she will be our breeder. Oh, and a Pomeranian that has very nice bloodlines that will be bred when the time comes. She is an orange sable and is really the prettiest little pom I have ever seen.

So, I do not breed yet, but plan to when the time is right. oh, one more, I almost forgot. I am in teh process of shopping for a new furry playmate and that one will also be bred. More on her later though. LOL

We breed Miniature Australian Shepherds, they are great little dogs. Definitely like to have a job, our oldest female "helps" bring the horses in from the pasture one at a time by walking along behind on her hind feet with her front feet "pushing" while we lead them to the barn. We have to leave the house in a few minutes and I'm "computer illiterate" so would have to get my instructions out to remember how to post a picture here from my website (Kaykay's my webmaster, or guru, or whatever you want to call it, and I'm her worst student LOL), so will hope that you'll go to my website www.postrockminiatures.com and check out my Mini Aussie page. Happy New Year everyone!
saludando.gif
biggrin.gif
aktion033.gif

We have had all our dogs spayed. We were going to breed my border collie but decided to fix her instead.

I show Pembroke Welsh Corgis, don't breed. I am hoping my little girl will be healthy enough to at least show, her sire is 9th on the all time top ten sires list now. She was so very ill, could crop up again.

I do rescue and here are the 'excuses' we hear:

I didn't know they shed

chases the kids - duh it's a HERDING dog

barks

getting a divorce

moving and can't have a dog in the new home.

As for breeding, few free whelp.

They can and do have hip dysplasia, PRA, Von Willebrands, DM.

Here is my Gracie, Tallyrand Glory Bound

Gracie2march.jpg

We raise Shih Tzu.....they are wonderful companions and are so versatile. If you want to nap all day their all for that or if you want to do some playing around they're more than willing
yes.gif
They're kinda like kids in dogging clothes....here is a picture of one of our puppies a Blue and White female she now lives in New York!!

th_cid_007201c55c2fb29207204564a8c0Sto.jpg

aktion033.gif
Thanks for sharing!!! I especially love the pictures!! Keep 'em coming!

Corgis are a love of mine. Leaning heavily towards one. Love the shelties, too, but hubby doesn't like the long hair. Love the shih tzu too, but hubby doesn't like "fru fru" dogs, as he puts it.
rolleyes.gif
There are a LOT of breeds I really like that would suit ME fine, but I have to make sure WE get one that will suit both of us, to keep the peace, if you know what I mean! LOL!
wink.gif
Right now, we have HIS dog and MY dog. His is a minpin, not really my type, and mine is a border collie/golden retriever mix. We'd like something a little bigger than the little one, but smaller than the bigger one. I'm doing extensive research trying to decide and we won't be getting one for several months, if not a little longer. When we bring a dog home, it's for life, so I want to make sure we make the best decision for us.

Anyhow, I'd love for more of you to share! I KNOW there are more breeders out there besides those who've already posted!!!

Oh, and Ginia!!! I did check out your site! BEAUTIFUL dogs!!! LOVE them!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back