Calling all dog breeders!!! What do you breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I raise Jack Russell Terriers also known as parsons, Irish, (or whatever name some have changed it to) Russell Terriers.

For me deciding on the breed I wanted a dog that was small enough to be able to stay in the house with me, and go places with me, but had the attitude of a big dog. I couldn't of picked a more perfect breed. My pups are the biggest love bugs in the house, but are just as much at home out in the barn around the horses, and hunting mice. They are a energetic enough not to be total couch potatoes and want to go out with me when I ride or walk, or drive Cisco. I'm don't believe in haveing a big kennel or more dogs than you can take care or thus having to pen them up, so I have 3 and could afford to add another 1 or 2 to the mix and still be comfortably able to travel and such with them. My retired dogs aren't given to a new family they stay here with me to live out their days. My grown dogs and pups are all whelped, raised and live in the house with me, with constant human contact and loving. All breeding dogs are health tested and all pups are sold with a spay/neuter contract, health guarntee, and have all the nesseccary shots and such. I also have a clause in my puppy contract stating that if the pup should need to be rehomed I am the first one to be contacted, not a family friend, family member or the pound, ME. and that I'll take the dog back no questions asked.

The drawbacks to JRT's are that some can be hyper (but the energy, if you know how to handle it isn't bad at all), they need exercise every day, and generally don't do well in apartment settings. They also are not a breed you can chain up, as they may channel that pent up energy into aggression. They are one breed that is OK with kids if they grow up with them and the children know how to properly handle animals and are not mean to them. They are not a breed that will take ear pulling, or kicking and just move, they will defend themselves. BUT like I said if the kids mind it works and they can get pretty protective of children. Several of my pups have been placed in homes with kids. The good side of the breed is that they do bond well with people, and are smart and eager to please. They love to cuddle with their owners, and are heck on your rodent pop. They also are plum naturals around livestock.

The reason I chose to breed was for the love of the breed, (I do show a bit and am involved in agility though with my breeding female) and to help bring the JRT breed into others households and let them experience the joys of having them. I set back and watched what some of the show breeders charged for some of their pet quality pups and was astounded. IN big cities it may be OK to charge that much but around here in a ranching community people just can't afford to spend it on a dog. I read and studied up on the breed and breeding in general and had my first litter. My prices are relatively cheap compared to some, but they are enough to cover all the necessary vet costs and such, so it works for me. And the BIG plus is regular everyday, good honest people can afford one, and experience the joy of having a jack in their lives.

I'm very strict on who I sell to, and require a spay/neuter contract. I get references and check them all out as well as ask a ton of questions (My families told me it's easier to adopt a human child then get one of my pups). This all pays off though as every pup I have ever raised is in it's original home to this day, and all are loved and wanted!

As far as pictures, I have a ton, you can see the majority of them on my web site at Double T JRT's

My husband also raises and uses Catahoula cowdogs. His family's been using and raising them his whole life. His main reason for the breed is it's one that works for him, when gathering cattle that have a bit more grit than a BC or Kelpie. He raises litters to help keep his pack going, and gives pups to other ranchers/cowboys that need a good cowdog.

Here are a few pictures I've taken over the years:

Christmas 2005:

121313620.jpg

My male trying his hand at herding bulls around:

118949196.jpg

Momma and newborn pups:

87076723.jpg

Suzie Playing B Ball with MIL's Kelpie/BC cross:

75027599.jpg

Our group picture from a couple of years ago (my hair's longer now)

46152192.jpg

and the last one, is on the web site but a cute one, a group picture of one of my litters:

42123450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back