My 5 minis and I say hello!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmen

I have lost my mind, and found my soul.
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Thank you for having this great forum in which we new miniature horse owners can learn and find very helpful information and advice.

I guess my story is just another one of someone loving horses during their entire life and not becoming able to have the time, the resources and the room to have any of them until a few years later (or a lot, like in my case :p)

I will try to make it short. My craziness began last December 2017 close to Christmas Day. I have been involved in pet rescue most of my life, fostering and volunteering with pet rescue groups.
A friend tagged me in a post, where 30 miniature horses were dumped at a Kill Pen by a breeder and they needed to get out of there ASAP.

I did not know ANYTHING about that place, or the whole horse trade world in Texas, much less about transporting or caring for horses. All I knew is I had to do something, so I paid for one of those babies as soon as I got that post. It was Friday very late at night, and the Kill Pen was open next day only from 9 to 12 so I went there next morning with my SUV, hoping my miniature mare would fit in there.

She did. I took her home. An unhandled little horse. She escaped from my yard and to make the whole adventure short, I had to call Animal Services, we called the Sheriff's office as well. We were lucky my old neighborhood was a small one with only one entrance and exit, no traffic.

I have to say, the Sheriff is the kindest man in this World. They took my wild miniature mare to the Sheriff's stables! She was immediately fed, cared for and she was able to stay warm there until a local Horse Rescue group took her.
I was told that charges would be pulled against me for bringing a horse to a place where they can't be, for putting that little animal at risk... I was ok with that. She was safe now.

But when I went to the Sheriff's Office at the City Jail to have my charges read and pay for whatever they wanted me to pay, they said all was ok and I could go back home with the promise of not doing that anymore.

I stood loyal to that until last Summer where I had access again to a few cases that needed attention ASAP. At the Kill Pen again.

During these months, I have learned a LOT about how that place works, how auction places work and try to avoid the Kill buyer to get any horses, how some horse owners really do little favor to their animals and then I decided I would take only the miniature horses that reached the deadline.

So... I have found myself having 5 miniature horses that are rejects of the rejects. The horses nobody else wanted at any auctions and nobody wanted to save from the Kill Pen either.
I've got 5 horses some of which came to me sick, unhandled, traumatized and starved.

And that is how I found this forum, and that is why I love them with all my heart.
We recently moved from our comfortable house in the city to a small ranch with a little acreage just to be able to have them with me.

I'm basically spending all the money my small business generates on my miniature rescues and God bless my job and my clients that make me able to do this.
Also, I have had help from friends on Facebook.

Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Carmen

Welcome to the Forum.

Good on you for rescuing these little ones , I am sure they are very grateful. Its often the ones that are given that "second chance" at life that turn out to be the special ones.

Ask a way at any questions you may have, everyone's really friendly here and happy to help :)

Welcome again !!

Welcome to the Forum.

Good on you for rescuing these little ones , I am sure they are very grateful. Its often the ones that are given that "second chance" at life that turn out to be the special ones.

Ask a way at any questions you may have, everyone's really friendly here and happy to help :)

Welcome again !!

Thank you, Ryan :D

They are special for sure. I will introduce them as soon as I have a chance.
There is one that was supposed to be an "unhandled mare" and turned out to be a wild stallion...
I couldn't go see her/him until 15 days after paying his bail. And didn't notice he was not a mare several days later.
He runs away from people and is SO beautiful I find him breath taking. He is gray and has a gorgeous mane and pretty face.

He doesn't get startled by my only presence as he did at the beginning but we still have a long way to go.

I named him Petunia when I bought him and that's still his name.

My other babies are Margarita, Peanut, Rosita and Lavender

He will come around to trust you, he will just need plenty of time. I have a TB that took just under 2 years before he fully trusted me.

Looking forward to see some pics when you introduce them :)

He will come around to trust you, he will just need plenty of time. I have a TB that took just under 2 years before he fully trusted me.

Looking forward to see some pics when you introduce them :)

How did you manage to give him vetting or trim his hooves? I am really dying to brush mine, I think I have a trauma with rain rot since Peanut had it really bad...

These are my babies:

Black one: Peanut - gelding
Baby filly: Lavender
Fuzzy little one: Rosita - mare
Gray: Petunio - stallion
Pinto: Margarita - mare

image2.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image4.jpeg image6.jpeg

Attachments

• Margarita.jpg
    Margarita.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
I spent hours with him ,working on some desensitizing. It was when I made a sudden movement it would frighten him. Rub your hands up and down the front legs & once they are accepting , then try the back legs.
The one piece of advice I will pass on, remembering that all horses are different, so some things may work and other things may not. "Take your time and do things slowly "

Thank you again, Ryan. That is exactly what I have been doing with them.
Petunio wouldn't let me get closer than 3 or 4 steps from him, but that's a big thing now. I guess I will have to give him time :)

Latest posts

Back