Calling all dog breeders!!! What do you breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up with my parents raising newfondlands, and Great Danes, I continued to raise Great Danes after I was married, and up until about 10 yrs ago. When I met my hubby 35yrs ago, he was raising German Shepards, so together we raised Great Danes and German Shepards, then 11 yrs ago we got a black lab,
wub.gif
who was and is the LOVE of our lives, besides our kids and grandkids, and 1 yr ago, I found a black lab puppy
wub.gif
wub.gif
who is my sweetheart and constant companion. She just got spayed, so no pups in the future. But I do think that the labs are the sweetest dogs I have even owned....and I thought my danes were sweet! Iguess I just LOVE them all! Corinne
ShadowaitingforhisDad.jpg
Angel4.jpg

I bred and showed black German Shepherds for 42 years&had the same line from my original pair starting in 1960.I stopped because I couldn't find a bitch to breed to my male.Either lacking good hips or good disposition-couldn't find both in the same female.When Sam died in 2002 my lines are gone.I also have had Pembroke Welsh Corgis since 1972 and now have 3 spayed bitches&1 6 month old puppy that I will eventually breed(I may show her if she continues to develop as nicely as she is looking now).I love the breed-so smart&so sweet.They do shed so I just sweep up the hair when it starts to bother me.I don't wear many dark clothes around the dogs.If I'm going out I get dressed&run real fast out the back door.

We breed and show chinese cresteds...a lovely breed and a very sweet companion, plus they don't shed and DO NOT smell like dogs. They come in hairless and puffs, easy to take care of breed (some lines more than others).

This is Link, a hairless male, he has two points and one we are showing right now.
link.jpg

This is a puff female, Onnie, and both varieties are born in a litter.

onyx.jpg

The cresteds are a relatively new breed, only being in the AKC since the early 90's. They are still very much a handler/owner breed which is great. Nothing better than finishing your own dogs!! I just love them!

bevann said:
They do shed so I just sweep up the hair when it starts to bother me.I don't wear many dark clothes around the dogs.If I'm going out I get dressed&run real fast out the back door.
530408[/snapback]

laugh.gif
LOL!!! Well, the shed factor doesn't much matter in any dog we choose since my border collie/golden retriever mix is a shedder. I do exactly the same thing! I get dressed at the last minute and do NOT sit down anywhere, I just leave as fast as possible! LOL!

Wow Six-Gems!!! I've never seen a "puff" chinese crested!!! That's kinda cute!
yes.gif
I like fluffy dogs (hubby prefers short haired, so we have a challenge brewing as to what will win out! LOL!).

Hello, don't post much but just had to add that I am a collie breeder, long haired shed all over the carpet type
rolleyes.gif
I love the breed , and they are true Lassie dogsin as they are soo devoted to their owners. I have all colors including white collies.I havn't breed a litter for a while -- ussually wait till I have buyers Pat

.If I'm going out I get dressed&run real fast out the back door
lmao when I got Moxie, my Mom said to me "oh they don't shed much do they"....my response....
unsure.gif
"uh no"
shutup.gif
hee,hee,hee...just wait til she starts shedding...my name will most definately be mud!!!! lol

~kathryn

I myself don't breed but do rescue and clean up others messes
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
however I have numerous friends in the dog world.....

Standard poodle breeder.....

Someone who raised/showed shelties for years

Good friend who raises and shows Chow Chows (we are getting a pup from her eventually) this is the breed that is the love of my life.....right now we have an ancient one who needed a place to live out her days......

with the acquisition of an aussie from the shelter I have met some wonderful aussie breeders/show people/herding trialers

I have fostered and/or found great homes for many breeds....min pins, english bulldogs, chowchows, mutts (not many of those though), not to mention the ones that came and never left.....chowchows, borzoi, german shepherd......some day we will have a little dog but to date I haven't found them to be easy to live with.....a mini aussie down the road might fit the bill, I know and adore one australian terrier
biggrin.gif
, I think the norwich and norfolk terriers are too dang cute, loved the minpins but they all had major housebreaking issues, ....this is the fun part of fostering
biggrin.gif
I get to try breeds out while looking for the perfect home...speaking of which I wonder how the sharpei mix pups are doing....I need to get updates from their owners and pics to post
wink.gif

I have raised Chinese Shar Pei for 15 years. they are my favorite breed, but 2 years ago I got a Mini dacshund and he is the love of my life because he will fit in my lap!! I still have 1 female shar pei.
ShowLetter.jpg

this is Rapha Adoni we lost him in May to stomach cancer. He was 7 years old.

OH what a sweetie face.......coming from chows I also appreciate a pei
wink.gif
I am curious is cancer also common in the sharpeis? It is probably the most common cause of early/sudden loss in chows (makes me wonder about the pigment)...oh I forgot weenie dogs......my first dog who I barely remember was a mini weenie dog who I used to sneak into bed with me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

maranatha minis said:
I have raised Chinese Shar Pei for 15 years.  they are my favorite breed, but 2 years ago  I got a Mini dacshund and he is the love of my life because he will fit in my lap!!  I still have 1 female shar pei.
ShowLetter.jpg

this is Rapha Adoni  we lost him in May to stomach cancer.  He was 7 years old.

530440[/snapback]

I have had several pei's and never had any probs with cancer. The vet said it was as common in dogs as in people. I had 1 vet treat him for 6 weeks for a prostate infection but he lost over 30lbs in the 6 weeks he was treated. I took him to my "dog" vet and she took 1 look and knew what it was, she did test to confirm it. he lived 2 days after that.

On a lighter note.... wonder what the cross of the weenie and the pei would look like ?
biggrin.gif

Shelley<><

I have had several pei's and never had any probs with cancer. The vet said it was as common in dogs as in people. I had 1 vet treat him for 6 weeks for a prostate infection but he lost over 30lbs in the 6 weeks he was treated. I took him to my "dog" vet and she took 1 look and knew what it was, she did test to confirm it. he lived 2 days after that.

On a lighter note.... wonder what the cross of the weenie and the pei would look like ?
biggrin.gif

Shelley<><

ttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/maranathaminis

this is Jireh's Promise of Provision. she will be 5 this year

almost spit on my screen there ...hmmm a sharweenie...actually it would probably end up looking like a short eared basset hound
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I've been showing dogs for almost 30 years now. (30 years??
new_shocked.gif
)

I spent a little more than half that time in Siberian Huskies, but for the past twelve years it's been Salukis all the way! We breed occasionally (under the kennel name Akissla). We love them to pieces but they are not a dog for everybody.

Here are a few of them:

IMAG006.JPG

Am.Can.Ch. Akissla Truly Madly Deeply, P.Cee is my pride and joy.

IMAG002.JPG

Ch. Akissla A Touch Risque, who will be the dam of our next litter a year from now.

Never have entered her in any Canadian shows.

IMAG007.JPG

Am.Can. Ch. Desert Rose Dreams Come True, pictured on her 10th birthday, my darling Trulee who is my heart dog. She was my first Saluki and will turn 13 this March.

Next Monday we will embark on a new chapter...we are sooo excited to be adding a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy to the family! We've been looking for the right puppy for a while. She's a show prospect, and if she turns out we will be getting her into the ring as soon as she turns six months old. Here is our little Lizzie! Can hardly wait to get her home!

IMAG015.JPG

Shelley

WOW that saluki in the center picture is ......droool...oooh lala.......stunning

new_shocked.gif
Those Salukis are sooooooo elegant!!!!! I'm familiar with all the breeds, but have focused on the smaller ones for our family, so I tend to forget that there are some absolutely GORGEOUS large breeds out there!!! Oh, and that Lizzie is just darling!!!

Hey, Kaykay! I forgot to mention what cuties you have there in your BC's. I adore my BC mix. She is sooooo darn smart. Too smart for her own fur sometimes! LOL!!

And those Shar Pei's! My brother used to have one. Unfortunately for him, his ex got her in the divorce.
no.gif

OK just for kicks here are a few of my friends dogs

peter.jpg

her male

mauli.jpg

the blue female who didn't take (was supposed to have my pup but may be retired now)

velveeta.jpg

and this is her smooth chow she is spayed and an family member
biggrin.gif

hankondeck.jpg

this is hank the bulldog I rehomed for someone...he now lives with my sister in doggy paradise
wink.gif
oh and the head in the picture is Owen her BC (nutty dog spends his life herding the ducks or chasing the ball he does not sit still ever
wacko.gif
)

annanddan1.jpg

the shar pei mix pups we took in and bottlefed and found homes for (they were about 5 weeks here)

aktion033.gif
I get such a kick out of those silly bulldogs!!! My BIL has a female that he rescued. Her name is Betty Lou and she only has one eye (the other was injured in some sort of accident before he acquired her). She is such a riot.
laugh.gif
Those chows are something else. I've only ever seen a few in person. I know they are much more dog than I would ever be able to handle!

I have to say Runamuk, that I think you do a great job with taking in those dogs in need until they can be rehomed.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I'd LOVE to do it. I love all breeds, but hubby wouldn't have it. At least not yet.
biggrin.gif
Someday, after the kids are out of the house, I've got plans.
yes.gif
He just isn't aware of it.
wink.gif
It will fall under the guise of empty nest syndrome and I'm SURE he'll give in.
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back