Anyone tried the "Ahh Bra" or "Genie Bra"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but every time I read "Ahh Bra" my brain voice says "Ahh ha! bra" like my boobs just had a genius idea.

I have been reading right along with this post since it started, but now I have to comment. JILL ! ! ! All these years I have thought how good you were at doing your hair in different styles (yes I noticed in your pictures your hair was different) Now I know, and I'm impressed. I would have never guessed your hair was Barbie Hair.

my boobs just had a genius idea.
I hate when that happens! Then they think they need a RAISE, but there's just so much I can do.
default_rolleyes.gif

Long time no "raise"!
default_laugh.png

I hate when that happens! Then they think they need a RAISE, but there's just so much I can do.
default_rolleyes.gif

Long time no "raise"!
default_laugh.png
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

OMG this thread is the best! I have been following it from the beginning and just like everyone else can't wait to hear the good bad or ugly!!LOL!! Every time hubby and I are flipping through the channels and we see ad for the infomercial, we have to say "The best bra EVER!!" in unison!
default_biggrin.png
So inquiring minds must know... is it the best bra EVER?!?! or what?!?!? Can't wait to find out!!( I have never actually seen the commercial so I'm not sure which bra it is in that one
default_rolleyes.gif
)

Jill your Barbie hair looks great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, ladies!!!
default_wub.png

When I first started wearing wigs, I was so afraid people could tell. Honestly, I remember being in Walmart right after I got them and I was sure this man was laughing at me because he knew I was wearing a wig... I called my mom and told her and she laughed and couldn't believe I was seriously thinking he was laughing at me. It didn't take long, though, until I didn't actually care if people knew or suspected I was wearing wigs. My desire to switch hair styles, lengths and shades just won out
default_smile.png
I like how certain wigs go with certain outfits, etc. My real hair is medium brown, fine textured and just very hard to style. Every time someone tells me my hair looks nice, in the back of my mind, I think "oh, you can see it under this wig?" or "it looks the same as ever, it's just hidden under this wig I'm wearing."
default_biggrin.png

HOPEFULLY those genie bras arrive today. I can't wait to try them out!!!
default_yes.gif

PS as to boobs having genius ideas, that is ONE area where mine fall flat
default_laugh.png
:OKinteresting
default_laugh.png

Jill, about 4 years ago, I shaved my head. That's right...bald like a cue ball. I had bleached, dyed, and abused it so badly that there was nothing that could be done for it. So, I got down on the kitchen floor and hubby whipped out the Osters. I then became a "Barbie Hair" queen for about 3 years. I have to say that I loved my Barbie hair!! I did blonde to the shoulder, brunette waist length and curly, red with flippy ends, kinda like one in your photos.

My hair is all grown out and healthy now, but there are sure days that I miss the ease of just slapping on my hair. Though, you are smarter than I was. I didn't sew in clips, I had a TON of bob pins and just went crazy with them.

I take it no package arrived today. I must stop trying to read this at work- I about spit my water all over my computer again reading some of the comments and trying not to laugh out loud!

After you wash them, they go back to whatever their style is, including any curls, etc. I love them! Life changing for me because I used to get so frustrated trying to make my own hair look the way I wanted and spend an hour or more in the daily attempt (and was not ever pleased with the results).
OMG Jill... we MUST be twins, separated at birth! My hair is absolutely baby fine plus it's very thin. If you felt my hair it would be as soft as a baby's hair, and that's NOT good. It's also straight as a pin. I have to use a root lifter on it after I shampoo it, plus mousse, then blow dry it with my head hanging at my knees to give it some lift, then use a curling iron on it, and after all that I HAVE to spray it with an instant freeze-type spray that would hold through a hurricane or if I were being dragged through the water by a shark. And it STILL ends up looking flat and just awful.

I have thought about getting a few wigs for years, I really have! My only concern was that I would be just too hot in one, and that I wouldn't find one to fit me. I have a very small head. If I buy hats, I ALWAYS have to buy them in the kids' section. even adult ballcaps with the velcro in back don't fit me right. My cowboy hat was a kid's size! So I figure I'd never find a wig to fit my head properly. But yours look just absolutely lovely, so I am thinking about looking into it! I don't want to put one on every single morning, but definitely when we go out it would be so nice to not have to plan an extra hour or more trying to fix my hair.

Can you point me in the right direction? Perhaps a URL or two, or a company which you specifically like? I would appreciate it a lot!

Still no Genie Bras! I hope they get here today!!!

Sandy, what helped me get started was there is a boutique about an hour and a half from here, and I went there and tried on different styles and they helped me pick out a couple. Then after that, I just ordered my own online. One thing that helped with being able to try them on in the shop (maybe you can internet search "wig salon", etc.) is that some styles I imagined I'd really like did not look good on me when I tried them on in the store.

There are two brands I really like, and they all have adjustment straps so they can fit a variety of sizes. My mom is my "partner" when it comes to the wig thing and she has a smaller head and the main brand I like is also her favorite. They fit us both -- hers just on a "tighter" setting and mine on a looser. We don't share wigs, but often buy the same styles (in different shades).

Raquel Welch is the wig brand I realy like the most. They are VERY light weight. If you look on YouTube, you can see videos of wigs, and how to sew the clips into the wigs (I think this is a must-do). These are good links for the Raquel Welch Wigs:

http://www.wigs.com/

http://www.wigsalon.com/

If you get the "mono top" or "mono cap" wigs, it looks like an actual skin part under the wig and I recommend that. They even have ones now if you do not want to wear bangs where the hairline looks like it's growing right out of your skin. I always wear bangs, but my mom has some of this new type and it's amazing!

Then there's another line I like, which is much less expensive, but heavier. It's a line called "Forever Young". These wigs are actually less than $50/each, where the Raquel Welch ones are around $300. They have skin parts (not the same as a mono top, but visually looks pretty much the same). They can be pretty shiny, but if you wash them a few times, it takes away the unnatural looking shine, plus I recently learned you can use a tee tiny bit of corn starch or baby powder (they make something called a "wig wand") to mute the shine until they're washed enough. Because these are so much cheaper, and you usually cannot return wigs once purchased, it might be a good place to start -- just know the Raquel Welch wigs are a lot lighter weight if you find the Forever Young wigs to be too hot or heavy. Here's a place I order this brand from:

http://www.voguewigs.com/

Some good things to have would be those wig clips -- about $8 for 40 of them on Ebay (get larger vs. smaller -- the 1"+ ones are more comfortable and sew three in -- one on each side, and one in the back), a foam head or other stand, possibly a "wig wand" (inexpensive). For shampoo, I just use a mild shampoo + conditioner (2 in 1, not a separate conditioner) or a shampoo for dry hair. They do sell wig shampoo, but you can use mild regular shampoo with equal results. To wash them, you just put a little shampoo in the sink, fill the sink with cool - luke warm water, swish the brushed out wig around and let it sit in there about 10 minutes. Then rinse and put on a stand to dry -- not to brush until dry.

I'm hoping there will be a salon you can go to in person to try different styles and colors. Their wigs are more expensive (about 25% more than you'd pay online), but it helps a lot because you'll probably leave with your first wig or two, but mostly with a good idea of what you would like when it comes to ordering online.

Also, search YouTube for Raquel Welch wigs, Forever Young Wigs, How To Sew Clips Into Wigs, etc. That will help to give you a good idea. I got lucky having my mom and also the boutique that was close enough. But the videos give you a good idea of what to expect. Some are made by the companies and are very professional, others are just made by people who like wigs and those are good ones, too!

Good luck!!! I'm excited to hear if you try one and what you think. They've really improved my life and my level of frustration getting ready in the morning. Big time savers, and now I don't have to have a temper tantrum or feel embarrassed b/c I hate my real hair. I just LOVE my wigs!!!

Urgh, STILL no Genie Bras in the mail. I'm starting to wonder where in the world they shipped from almost a week ago, or if a neighbor is enjoying them
default_rolleyes.gif

Our local Walmart sells them for about $19.00. I think there were three colour choices-black, white and nude. Imagine my surprise when I was standing in line and spotted them-I chuckled and thought it probably would have been easier for Jill to pick one that way....rather than having to keep everyone in suspense like she has been!!
default_biggrin.png

DJ, Leeana mentioned they sold them at Walmart, and I went to check their site (so lazy, I love to shop online even at Walmart)... but I didn't see them online there
default_sad.png
I'd have ordered one if I did for sure!!!

Susanne, too funny!!!

Jill, thanks so much for all that wonderful info! I WISH there were a place around here to go try a few on, but nada! We live in a very rural community of 5,000. Heck, there are only 19,000 people in our entire COUNTY!! LOL!

But now I'm all fired up to take the 65 mile drive to Madison or the 75 mile drive to LaCrosse and actually go and try some of these on!

Thanks for all the tips about the shine, too. I would have never thought about that....

I wonder about the clips, though... My hair is just so soft and baby fine that it doesn't hold clips of any sort at all unless I spray it with instant freeze first. I guess I could always do that to get the wig clips to hold.

My hair is really baby fine / thin too, but these comb clips are maid of metal and less than 1/2" wide (about 1" long). They have 6-8 "teeth" in them and they will grab hold of any kind of hair. They hold the wigs on best, by far. They do make "wig caps" to wear under if you want and the mesh ones (vs. pantyhose ones) grip the wig best, however, because my hair is so "silky" (I'm thinking same as yours) those things do not grip my own hair unless I put a bunch of styling gel on it to give it a texture. It works good then, but the clips are better and saves turning your real hair into a stiff mass! I'd recommend sewing the clips in (the boutique will do it for you and probably charge crazy, but will then give you the idea of how to do it on your own -- easy but good to see an example) -- but I'd recommend sewing in slightly different locations on your different wigs to give that area of your real hair a break.

The boutique should show you some ideas how to pin your real hair up under the wigs. All I do is pull it as if I'll do a pony tail, then twist it and use a barrett to hold the twist flat to my head. I actually usually do that while my hair is still wet from the shower and put the wig on... probably not the best, but it's what I normally do and hasn't seemed to hurt the wigs. When I get home from work, my real hair still smells like I just shampooed it a minute ago, too.

I could wear mine for working with horses, farm chores, etc., but I really only wear them to work and going in public (then I ALWAYS do). It's totally up to you when and where. Apparently, some people even sleep in them, though I cannot imagine. Mine come off when I get home.

I hope you'll enjoy them! They are so much fun. The first time I tried one of my mom's on as an adult, I couldn't hardly think of anything else until I got my own (two days later). It just makes such a difference in how I feel and my confidence
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
Plus saves time and frustration BIG TIME!

Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you think
default_smile.png
I'm excited for you
default_aktion033.gif

Maybe somebody else has them and is really enjoying them.

Okay, they're HERE!!!

I tried one on and honestly, they're a bit sports bra like in my opinion and they have a tiny bit of padding in them, which I hadn't anticipated. But it will keep things from looking pokey / pointy so that's okay. I'm planning to wear one tomorrow under a dress and will know more what I think at the end of the day
default_yes.gif

We live in a very rural community of 5,000. Heck, there are only 19,000 people in our entire COUNTY!! LOL!
Sorry, but that's not rural.
default_no.gif
I live in a rural community... I live 37 miles from the closest town of about 800 people, county population is 1000-1200 (thinking closer to the 1000, these days). I'm 150 miles from the closest Walmart, and that's in another state. Although, I imagine your area is too rural for a wig shop.
default_wink.png
Sorry couldn't resist, I just get a kick out of what people think rural is. I know its all perspective.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I now fully expect a fashion show!
default_biggrin.png

Jill, how about a pic of you in your dress (one from that link you'd posted) with the new bra underneath and one of your newest wigs?

Latest posts

Back