Anyone tried the "Ahh Bra" or "Genie Bra"?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jill, I am curious about the wig hair. Way back in the dark ages I had a hair disaster and told my Mom I would not go anywhere without a wig until my hair grew bagk. The wig was synthetic and I remember the hair was really painful if it blew into my eyes because they were so much bigger than a single hair.

Is that still the case with the wigs of today?

I think they are much, much better now. (Not to out my mom, but...), she has worn wigs forever and when I first got into them myself about 6 years ago, I wanted synthetic vs. real hair. Two reasons: I don't like the idea of anyone else's real hair on me and I do not want to have to set and style a wig. Synthetic wigs hold their styles after washing, including any curls.

Mom didn't think she would like the synthetic wigs based on her much earlier experience with them and the hair texture back then. She was surprised when she saw and felt my wigs and she rapidly made the switch. She'd been buying wigs that cost thousands of dollars just prior to me getting my first wigs and now she only buys synthetic because she likes them so much. For her, it's just the icing on the cake that they are so affordable.

The hair feels very soft and natural. The less expensive wigs can be too shiny at first but if you wash them a few times, or use a tiny bit of baby powder on them (very small amount), it takes away any unnatural shine. The texture is very real feeling, and soft. Mom says they are not anything like what they used to make years ago
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm might have to start playing. my hair has gotten super thin lately.

I just love them
default_yes.gif
It would be great if this thread helps other people currently frustrated w/ their hair to have good hair days every day they want to
default_yes.gif

AND as to a reference, this is what I was working with prior to discovering I love wigs. My hair is actually thicker now, I'm sure from not blow drying it, curling it and laying on so much styling product every day, but even though the real thing now looks better than in this picture, it isn't anywhere near as pretty or as easy as wigs. I'd honestly want to wear wigs now even if I had really nice, beautiful hair on my own (which I do not):

june82003-skipper-3.jpg

Jill+Winston.jpg

Thin, sparse, too fine, fly away... way way way to hard to style and it never ever looked like I wanted, even though I would spend a lot of time working on it each morning.

So tell me, what are some good online sources for wigs?

The nicer synthetic wigs I would recommend are Raquel Welch line. Lots to choose from at about $175 - $300. They are very light weight and adjustable to fit a range of head sizes. The hair is not too shiny. The wigs that say they are "mono top" are nicer and will look like a scalp part. They even have ones now where if you don't have bangs, the hairline looks like it grows right from your head. It's amazing!!! I always wear bangs, but Mom has some w/ the hairline thing and it's mind boggling how completely real that hairline looks.

This is where I've ordered that brand from, but there are other sources, too:

http://www.wigs.com/ and http://www.wigsalon.com/

Then there's another line I like called Forever Young. That's what my most recent wigs are and I love them, but they are not as light weight. However, they are MUCH less expensive (under $50... actually like $35!!!). I order them from here:

http://www.voguewigs.com/

I'd recommend starting with the lesser expensive wigs, but realizing if you really like the looks of them but find them too hot (I don't), the Raquel Welch ones are nicer and much lighter weight.

From eBay (way cheaper), I would get wig clips. They're less than $10 for 40 of them and you want the bigger size, not the little tiny ones (get 1" or bigger, will have to convert it to metric measurements when shopping). I sew one clip on either side, and one in the back. The clips are tiny little metal combs, and they will grasp your real hair and hold the wig firmly on. I could do cartwheels (well... as if) and the wig would not come off my head. These are clips I ordered a few weeks ago and the size is perfect:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

If you have high speed internet, you can look on YouTube and search for the Forever Young wigs, Raquel Welch wigs, how to sew in wig clips, etc. That's the best way to get a feel for them other than if you have a friend who can show you in person or a salon that sells them (more expensive, but that's how I got my first ones -- it did help because the styles I thought would look good on me didn't really in person).

The synthetic wigs are so easy and to wash them, I just use a shampoo with conditioner in one. You put shampoo in the sink, fill it with cool - luke warm water, and put your brushed out wig in. Swish it around, let it set about 10 minutes and rinse in cool water. Set it on a stand or form to dry and then brush. It's style and curls will come right back on its own.

Now when I get ready in the morning, I shower and do my make up, then I pin my real (still wet!) hair up with a barret (just pull like a pony tail, twist a few times, and pin to the back of my head) and clip on whatever wig I want that day. I switch it around because I want to, but I think if I stuck with one color and length, people wouldn't know it's a wig. So easy to get ready now in the morning!

PS the synthetic wigs are ready to wear right out of the box or bag, except that I would recommend sewing in those clips. Nothing else holds the wigs in place as well. But as far as how they look, it's like take them out, shake them, and put them on. You're ready to roll!

I just bought the ahh bra at WALMART! Will try it tomorrow.

Bumping this up for Amanda and putting a couple of more recent shots for her... This wig line is very inexpensive but I love them as much as the more costly ones I have... first shot in household lighting, second under florescents and the third (pictured earlier) in the sunlight. It's called "Rock Candy". I don't know what colors you would want, but I can give you the color code of this if you like the color (other wigs they make in other styles also come in this color... and tons of others). This particular brand of wig, Forever Young, I think, is a great starter one because of the low price. They've got tons of styles so you can play around and find the right style(s) for you and the right color w/o spending an arm and a leg. The higher cost wigs I love, too, are the Raquel Welch line.

262379_10150229777478155_522573154_7320269_1602369_n.jpg

269883_10150225763568155_522573154_7277250_6989059_n.jpg

270489_10150223627888155_522573154_7259073_7013327_n.jpg

Thanks Jill,

I really wanted to see what they looked like on a real person. I kept thinking that for all I knew the people that were modeling on the websites weren't really modeling a wig at all and that I would end up with something way different than what was being sold. I have been on some of the sites you posted and am glad to know that even the inexpensive ones can work as we only have one income right now and I knew I wouldn't be able to spend alot. We'll see how much damage they think there is going to be on Tuesday. I already have one bald spot on my scalp from a spot where the hair won't grow but have been able to cover that up by changing the part of my hair. If it goes the way I think it's going to I will have bald spots behind both ears, all along the hair line where my bangs are, and on top from my bangs on the right back to where the other spot is so I don't think I'll get away with changing the part anymore.

At least, if this does happen, I'll be able to have different hair. My hair is long and I have alot of it but each idividual hair is very fine so it never holds any style at all, basically, it's straight or nothing. So, at least I'll be able to play, but if I don't have to I would much rather just take my straight plain hair.

I do have one question. For the ones that you say are heavier/hotter do you think they'd work well in Florida or would they be too uncmofortable?

Amanda, it gets so hot here, too, in the summer and I have to go to FL a few times a year (usually when it's hot) on business. I wear the wigs anytime I'm in public and the lesser expensive ones are not too hot for me when doing things like shopping, outdoor receptions / parties, etc. I wouldn't like to wear them (or the more expensive ones) doing things like horse or yard chores, but just for light work or non-strenuous stuff, they do not feel too hot to me at all. I'm not even sure they'd be too hot for physical outdoor work but I don't want to get them sweaty and have to wash them more often when I look like crud when I'm doing yard / horse chores anyway (so why bother with a wig in my case LOL).

If it turns out you do need one for now, you may find you just flat out like them going forward. My own hair has gotten a lot thicker since I stopped fighting and over styling it daily, but I just so much prefer the wigs. Can have any style and color you want! I don't think anyone would know I wear wigs if not for my lack of shame in outing myself AND that desire I have for the different colors, styles and lengths.

I hope for the very best with your situation but also feel if you decide to get into a wig or two, you'll like them. Wish I lived closer so I could let you try the ones I have on because it would give you ideas of what you like and how they feel. My mom first let me try one of hers and it was just a couple of days before I went to get my own. I couldn't hardly stand it because the wig looked so much better and I have always hated my own hair.

Best of luck, with everything!

We do have a salon or store in one of the malls in the Palm Beaches so I can go there to try some first if I end up needing one. My husband knows about it as his wife passed away from cancer, so I feel really bad for him right now as I know he is stressing. I don't think I have any melenoma but can't be sure either until it's tested.

Amanda, I am happy you are having everything checked out. My dad has skin cancer and has had spots removed but it is not the bad kind. I am praying you also have good news like my Dad.

Thanks, I am worried about me, obviously, but I worry right now more about my husband and step children. My husband's first wife(step children's mother) died from breast cancer. I don't even like having to say the word to my husband but he thought it was amusing that my sister in law was highly concerned so I ended up having to tell him there was a slight possibility that it could be pretty bad. I didn't want to tell him unless it was but then I didn't want him to hear it from someone else and then he'd be upset that I didn't say anything. The thing with him is that he thinks the worst about things that there is a really good chance will never happen. He seems to be doing OK but I wonder if he's keeeping it inside.

Great deal!!! I will sure buy Ahh Bra. It is important to buy rich stuff and this product has all good stuff in it.

Latest posts

Back