Anna's Girls - Updated news.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few of Whizz - Cathy snapped a few pics as I was 'clipping' her out of her scruffy yearling coat. Diane, I thought you might like to see the spotty colouring that she's been hiding! Her little face is getting lighter - I wonder what she will look like colour wise in a few years. So, apart from being spotted, what colour would you call her, base coat wise??

015 (1).JPG016.JPG

018.JPG032.JPG

Spotbum pics on the next post!

Spotbum has been a busy boy over the past 10 days, covering three ladies for us - one a grey spotted mare (on loan to us) for her second foal, then our Nell (pintaloosa) for her second foal and Muffin's Child (chestnut spotted) for her first foal (these two are pictured here a page back). If they haven't taken we will try one more covering stint but then leave it as we dont want foals being born next year after the end of June. We have also covered Chapella with one of a friend's stallions for her last foal before she retires, so fingers crossed!

A few pics of the important man (or so he thinks!!) in his field.

040.JPG042 (1).JPG

048.JPG

And one from last year taken at Cathy's - plus his friend! (those are his eyelashes, not the whites of his eyes in terror. LOL!!)

993073_10151659704850630_706406381_n.JPG

And guess who looked like this as a baby??

1017384_10151681452465630_557102499_n.JPG

Always love seeing photos of your 'little' herd Anna. They just look so happy and how its supposed to be. Good job Spottybum! Cant to see his spotty babies!

Just realised that I made a small mistake - the pics of Nell and Muffin's Child are not on this thread! I posted them elsewhere when we were having a discussion on colours - was it on Heidi's thread, sorry cant remember. So here is Muffin's Child and Nell - actually half sisters (Narcotic's daughters) - both around 36" so we had to find some useful slopes and banks for little Spotbum (barely 30" British) with lots of laughs, oooooopsies and try again's involved!! LOL!!

June13 013.jpgnell_mares.jpg

THERE IS THE HANDSOME BOY!!!! GO GET'UM SPOTBUM!!!!!

I can't wait for next year!!!!

Could Whizz have inherited a cream gene from someone? She almost reminds me of a sooty buckskin color. But good girl Whizz -- keep those spots coming!!!!!

Anna, I just love those flowered meadows. I can just picture walking in them with you -- ahhhhhh......

Oh Diane it would be wonderful if you could walk the fields with me - at the moment it is utter peace, just the bird song and the bees humming happily amongst the buttercups and other growing herbs.

About Whizz's possible colour - having thought back over the generations of her breeding there seems to be no possibilty of a buckskin gene. BUT I have no idea about the background colours in Falabella Anselmo - Spotbum's sire - and I must admit that when SB was born we thought he was a blanket spotted bay dun as he did have quite a strong eel stripe which had disappeared by the time he was weaned as he had turned 'grey' spotted by then???? Maybe Ansel could have it in his background, but I thought that to have a dun or buckskin, one parent had to be that colour and Ansel has never thrown a buckskin for us in the 10 years that we have had him.

Hi Ladies, I am back
default_saludando.gif
Anna those pics are breath taking
default_yes.gif
If you see a tent up in your pasture one day don't panic
default_whistling.gif

I am still going to guess that Whizz is a chocolate varnish but you know about me and colours
default_new_rofl.gif

For a dun, yes, one parent must be a dun, and for a buckskin, one parent has to have the cream gene -- thus being a dilute of some color. I didn't know who she was from, so it was a guess. She is fabulous though, I think she's going to look like Anselmo -- but with spots! Heck, who cares -- she's beautiful!!! Color is the problem with some of these imports -- they give names, etc., but sometimes don't share the colors on the pedigrees. POOH! I looked in my database (I have over 2750 pure Falabella pedigrees) but I don't have the colors for Nicanor or Diableja. I have their pedigree information, but no color information on either. Sorry.

Renee, I would just love to find a tent (plus its occupier) parked in one of the fields!! Trouble is that you might prefer the house right now as we have our yearly plague of horse flies here right now!

OK so yesterday I grabbed a couple of quick pics of old Nutty (Whizz's g/dam) - she is simply a dark bay, but you can just see her 'lighter' muzzle/lower face, tummy area and the pale colour down her rear botty (sorry about her tail getting in the way - dammed horse flies!).

So I think Whizz will be bay with lighter areas/spots/roaning?????????? Bit of a mixed bag you might say! LOL!!

June13 087.jpgJune13 088.jpg

Thank you my friend! As you well know she is my special baby and was the start of our mini breeding when I got her as a three year old (although she is a British Shetland and 35"!). Last year she was supposed to be in foal for her last foal, but she was empty, so no more, she has done enough for us and is now in official retirement! We have many of her daughters, several g/daughters and a 2 year old g/g/daughter. If Nell and Muffin's Child do manage to provide us with babies next year, Nutty will have another two g/g/children to add to her tally!!

I cant believe that next month she and I will be celebrating 20 years together. I'm praying for a long and happy retirement for her.

I so enjoy the pictures of your countryside and your horses always look so happy!

Thank you my friend! As you well know she is my special baby and was the start of our mini breeding when I got her as a three year old (although she is a British Shetland and 35"!). Last year she was supposed to be in foal for her last foal, but she was empty, so no more, she has done enough for us and is now in official retirement! We have many of her daughters, several g/daughters and a 2 year old g/g/daughter. If Nell and Muffin's Child do manage to provide us with babies next year, Nutty will have another two g/g/children to add to her tally!!

I cant believe that next month she and I will be celebrating 20 years together. I'm praying for a long and happy retirement for her.
That's the way we want it to be, how lucky you are to have had her for so long!
default_thumbup.gif

Been a bit busy here over the past 4 - 5 weeks or so, lots been happening so thought I would do a little catch up for everyone! Firstly we thought we might bring all the colts back here from Cathy's place as she was looking to take last year's foals back to her farm to give them a little education. Big mistake! The 'colts' are aged between 2 and 5 and have always lived toether as a boy band, but they soon sensed that there were girls in the area and it cased a rift in the ranks! This resulted in a couple of more serious fights, as against the usual play fighting, and little Handbag (real name Hermes!) got himself a bit beaten up and had a nasty kick to his back leg. Apart from several 'scuff' marks, his hock joint blew up like a balloon from a cut on the inside and he couldn't stand on his leg poor boy. Bathed and administered to his bumps and bruises,but decided to give the vet a call regarding a long term anti-biotic injection as a precaution. Vet arrived and poked and prodded and said there might be a possibility that he had cracked a bone in his hock or higher up in the leg and before we knew what was happening, out came the portable x-ray machine and loads of pics were taken in the search for this cracked bone of which there was no sign. I didn't think there would be as I was sure the little fella was just very sore from the kicks he had received to the hock area and also to his gaskin and buttocks - muscle pain/damage was preventing him using his leg in my opinion? The vet that came was not one of our two usual ones (who jointly own the equine clinic) but a younger one in their employ. While we have met her before and she is a good vet, she does get carried away covering ALL possible options (except the obvious!) and by the time she left we were beginning to feel as if we were 'bad' owners as we turned down all her suggestions for treatment - having stated that he really shouldn't be subjected to transportation to the clinic, she then wanted to sedate him and to draw out fluid from his hock in case the swelling was blood pooling there, this suggestion was then followed by one about getting him to the clinic the following day and putting him out, to do surgery on the hock to see if there were any broken small bones/bits of bone that could then be removed! We must have told her a hundred times that we could not afford any treatment of that sort and that we would just be giving him time to see what improvements he made natually and would then re-evaluate things. But she still continued to tell us what we should be doing for him and we had to get really firm to stop her sedating him and doing the hock 'fluid' exploration there and then. Eventually we got the anti-biotic that we asked for, with the strict orders to keep him stabled for at least 4 days (which then turned into many months should we choose to have the hock operated on!), - had she listened to nothing that we had been saying? The little fella was quite happy hopping around on his three legs, guzzling the clover on our lawn while we were all deciding his future! But I'm sure the vet left thinking that we were the worst of bad owners!! (Got the bill several days later - a very expensive anti-biotic injection at £300 which of course included all those x-rays that she insisted on taking before we could call a halt!!) Of course the next day, feeling a lot more comfortable, little Handbag was using his leg happily to walk around on and by the next day - we turned him out for a couple of hours to let him gently exercise those seized/bruised muscles - he was fine, just a little lame when he started trotting around. Lameness all gone by the third day and hock swell gone down. As I said, all I wanted was an anti-b as a precaution!! Phew!!

The following day the rest of the boys were carted back to Cathy's where there are no girls in situ and normal behaviour resumed immediately!!

The cute Spotbum has been busy covering his three girls, two have held (Fleur and Muffin's Child) but Nell returned (as we expected as she is not easy to get in foal). As there was so much difference in height we couldn't let them run together so this time covering her we tried to 'replicate' free choice breeding - covering her in hand and then Cathy would wander around, Spotbum on his lead, with them grazing together (I would make coffee and keep her supplied), until SB felt like covering again. I would then return and move Nell to the place in the field where it was easy for SB to reach her. We did this twice a day, morning and late afternoon, and in between Cathy would walk him alongside the mare's field fence to keep a check on any 'reactions' from Fleur and Muffin's Child, also from Chapella and Poppy who have been covered by our friend Pat's stallion. But none of them have been interested so it looks as though we will have 4 to foal out next year, 5 if Nell holds this time. (we will not be covering Nell again if she hasn't taken as we dont want a late foal) We last covered Nell last Saturday so a few days later SB and Handbag (now completely recovered) have also returned home to Cathy's.

Anyway, when the naughty colts came back here for their unsuccessful visit, Cathy took last year's babies back to hers for a little 'education' - Ferret, Wizz, Shiv, and Chloe (Fleur's daughter from last year), plus she also took little Boo (Chapella's daughter from the year before). We have actually sold Boo and Shiv together to a wonderful home - the new owner, Francis, is one who would fit in extremely well here (need I say more??) - and they are going to be loved and spoiled for the rest of their lives as part of her menagerie, and we shall be keeping in touch and making visits etc. In our usual relaxed fashion (LOL!!) none of these youngsters had been haltered, including Boo, but to be fair we have just slung a headcollar on her to trim her feet, totally pointless as she just wont leave you alone and is one of those annoying minis who has to roll on you anytime you want to do anything with her!!

Having given them all a day to settle into their 'new' home over at Cathy's, she (in her usual fashion) just popped a headcollar on one of the 'babies' and walked out of the barn with it - the others all following loose - across the driveway, into the first field and across it until they reached the field they were going to be using. Following her lead they all just plodded along, no trouble. In the evening she haltered another one and led them all back to the barn. The second day she did the same thing with the other two girls and in the evening phoned me to say that they were all halter 'broke'. LOL!! Over the next couple of days she moved each one to and fro as individuals, so they did the trip without their companions, rotating the order so a different one got left alone in the barn or in the field and they soon settled to this as well, bless them.

Having got the girls all happily organised she turned her hand to Ferret, who was obviously being kept separate from the girls and had been allowed to simply walk loose out of the barn into the 'barn field', no need to lead him anywhere. Ferret of course proved a different prospect to the well behaved girls LOL!! No problem with popping the headcollar on, but as for being led, well this was not on his agenda and he had a huge hissy fit!! Luckily he was in the middle of the barn, plenty of space and a lovely dirty, soft floor to fall over on when he stood up and lost his balance! This of course made him stop and think as Cathy was still just standing there holding the end of his rope, totally unconcerned at his antics. G/daughter DD was up for a couple of days so she went to catch Ansel and bought him forward to provide a lead horse. Oooo said Ferret, I could just go jump on him!! But Ansel was already walking out of the barn and into the field so before he knew what he was doing, Ferret was walking after him. Ansel was allowed to stop, once on the grass, for a quick 'hello' and then told to eat the grass. Ferret thought he would go have a second sniff, but Ansel laid his ears back and gave his tail a swish and Ferret jumped back!! Ansel is such a good boy with the 'babies'. So Ferret started grazing too and after a little while, dutifully lead back into the barn following Ansel. This was repeated later in the day and again the next morning, but in the afternoon Ferret lead happily out of the barn by himself, had a short graze in hand, then Cathy took the headcollar off and let him loose. At tea time she called him up, re-headcollared him in the field and led him back to his stall in the barn. The following day, when the girls were in, he was led the same journey as the girls, across the drive, up the first field and into the second with no problem except Cathy says that he walks like a steam train (a good trait I feel!). Ansel was then turned out into the first field, so Ferret could have the company of his new friend next door.

So all the babies now haltered and led LOL!! A week later when Cathy took the naughty boys back to her place, she loaded up the 4 girls and bought them back here. They have been back a week and have been brilliantly easy to catch, lead and move around as we have done some field juggling with the mares, and they are now out in their own little group of 4 on the 9 acres of grass that the mares had just moved from. This evening I was walking the dogs in the other fields hoping to spy on the 4, just for a quick check (I like to watch animals when they are doing their own thing - much easier to spot any behaviour problems as against walking amongst them and have them come running to see you!) But they spotted me as I tried to creep past!!

Shiv, Boo, Wizz, Chloe.

June13 141.jpg

All for now folks - more news and lots of pics to come, but will never post this if I dont do it now!

Wonderful update and picture!! But not long enough to finish my cuppa!! I love hearing about all the babies and how they just "fall" into haltering and leading! Such an easy routine for them.

Sorry about little Handbag -- but so glad he is on the mend. I think I'd let your regular vets know not to send that crazy woman back again -- unless she's the only one there! Goodness! Some vets just seems to be so "over-board" -- thinking of every possible thing they read about in school, and thinking that people are just made of money. I would have done the same thing. Give things time, and "nature" has a way of going just naturally. I am SO AGAINST invasive treatment, unless there is absolutely no other option. To many bad things can happen with open bodies when they are just "looking" around. Not very good in my opinion. Surgery should be a LAST RESORT -- not a "let's see what we can find" !

Too much drama with some of these people. You would certainly know in a few days if things were not going right -- I think you did beautifully!!

It's so nice to see people back here again. I've missed everyone, and am enjoying the "catch-up" !!

Last edited:
Cathy just sent me an interesting picture of three of the 'boys'. Billy is the 'white', Handbag is the dun and you can just see Mamoote's hind end ...................... why is this interesting I hear you ask?

Billy is my little Heidi's last foal - Handbag was the second foal she produced for us.

Handbag and Mamoote are both by my red dun special boy Mootie (Colonel Mustard).

Just a shame I cant find a connection between Billy and Mamoote to complete the circle - except that they are both 2 years old! LOL!!

I love trying to find family connections.
default_yes.gif

046.JPG

Just catching up after taking a break from the boards and I just love your photos. Such beautiful minis all of them and I love seeing the photos of your boys together. Makes my heart glad to see horses living life as it should be lived. Loved reading your updates.

Latest posts

Back