Almost Lost Three Ponies Last Weekend.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
We had a huge scare last weekend. I called my mom while I was on my break at work to hear that my mom had just gotten done rounding up half my herd (3 horses out of 6) from the road. They were apparently ALMOST to the highway when she got them turned around.

Just makes your heart drop to your stomach when you hear that you almost lost not one, not two, but THREE loved ones in a matter of five minutes.

I can't imagine what would have happened if I got the call that they were hit by a semi truck or something. I probably would have left work to bury my own babies.

Here are pictures of the three runaways:

My mare Bow (Who isn't pregnant. I swear.)

310009_467327786687102_1314235625_n.jpg

Her 3 year old son:

969619_466263386793542_975263499_n.jpg

And her 2 year old filly:

922244_466257773460770_2102238336_o.jpg

Yes. All three are related. Mother and her two offspring. They all share the same "stupid" gene. Ugh.

They share the "wild sense of adventure" gene a.k.a. "give mom a heart attack" gene!!

Thank goodness their adventure was cut short!

Oh my, moma mare is teaching her foals a scary lesson.
default_smile.png

I am so glad they are ok,

So scary for you and your mom.

Glad things turned out ok for you..Im sure you had a real scare...naughty ponies
default_nono.gif

I swear our horses just try to find ways to give us grey hair...glad your mom noticed and rounded up the hoodlums...lol...

Sandi

Had a police officer ring my doorbell one early morning...said someone had a "little pony" in their yard and thought I might be missing one? Jumped in my truck and went immediately to the yard mentioned and was shocked to find not one,not two, but 13 of my miniatures enjoying their grass!

Omg poor you, thank goodness your mum was there. I think that is the phone call that we all dread. I am so glad there are all back safely.

I first experienced this last year and I swear I'll never be the same! I'm so paranoid about it now. The two "Houdinis" who started this "fun" have now gone to live elsewhere. I thought that was all behind me now. Until 3 or so weeks ago when my husband went out to leave for work and saw the main gate wide open and no horses in site. Once again, someone didn't do what they were suppose to and properly chain the gate in addition to being sure it was latched.

Long story short, they were about 2 acres away in our neighbor's yard. I kept my head enough to know to grab halters, leads and a bucket of feed to shake at them. The younger three came running back to me immediately (poor starved things that they are), while my 15 yr old was like "About time you showed up! I'm tired of babysitting this bunch out here!"

As she is notoriously hard to catch, we didn't even try. We just got the other three haltered and started leading them back to the barn area. She followed along behind us. While I trapped the other three in the dry lot, I opened the main gate wide and put down her morning bucket. She walked right in and I shut and chained the gate.

My prayer is that someone *FINALLY* sees the light or else I'm simply going to have to go out and check the gates for myself every time because I just can't trust this someone to do it.

So glad your little ones are okay! Had something very similiar happen a few years ago. The neighbor behind me was letting me graze my small herd of 6 or 7 minis on his pasture. A friend of his had come over one day and opened the drivethrough gate to take something up to the barn. When he left, he pushed it shut but didn't latch it. Of course, my horses discovered the unsecured gate and went out onto a busy road. Thank the Lord, another neighbor recognized the horses as mine and drove into my driveway honking his horn to alert me. By the time I jumped into my truck and drove around the corner, other people had blocked off the road and had the horses partially contained. Several helped out and we got them herded back into pasture. From that day on, there was a chain and padlock on the gate that only the landowner and myself could open. Scary and could have been SO bad.

Wow, you are so lucky that none were hurt. My boy has a way of taking down boards with his head that I'm changing all of my fencing. As far as his gate goes, I have a chain latch and also use an old lead that I tie around and knot it to keep him from pushing it open. We can see him thinking of ways to escape just by watching his body language.

I had one that figured out in the summer when the ground was really dry that he could duck under the electric (tape) fence. We didn't know where so we started a stake out to spy on him. We found out where and then we added a ground wire at the bottom. We put him back into the pasture he trotted happily over to his escape spot and stuck his head down and was surprised at what he found. He walked the entire fence line looking at that little wire, then he proceeded to back up and kick the hold bejebers out of his pasture mates like they put the wire up. He has never escaped again!

Does make your heart stop, what if you hadn't seen them and they got on the highway!

Barnmother, that is way too funny, his poor friends were no doubt wondering what they did wrong!

Oh my that is scary !! One Christmas eve we got a call are horses were running down the middle of the road headed for the State highway. Jumped in the car as we were headed down the road the horses must have spooked and turned and came running right back up the road towards us ! They were not mine ! We did get a hold of both an lead them to are house and put them in are extra outside stalls. Found their owner the next day. They did not realize they were missing till the next morning when they went out to feed.

Then one day we were headed down the road. Not to far from are place. I glanced over at a house and thought hmm they got horses. Then it hit me wait a minute those are mine !! Did a quick turn around and walked my boys home. Then it became a daily event for awhile. My older gelding figured out he could bully my colt through the electric fence then he could get out without paying the price. lol ! For some reason he liked going to that neighbors yard which he passed a few other places to get to that one. The funny thing at that time I had 3 horses that went out in that pasture together but only the 2 would leave. My other gelding would stay home an rat out the other 2. He would start squealing and pacing the pasture fence near my house. I soon had to not turn the colt out with the one gelding for awhile in that particular pasture. He never ran the colt through any of the other pasture fences even though at that time they all were the same type of fencing. It was weird.

I swear I think SJ thinks she is Houdini she loves to bother my poor neighbor whom is a stickler about his grass

I think she does it on purpose because he gets so worked up about it lol mind you we do live out in the country and we are agricultural zoned lol

One time I had two of mine out in the house yard for some grass and I came home opened the gate, they were down the furthest point of the yard. I drove the car in the gate and saw them galloping towards me. I leapt out of the car to try to heard them away from the gate but they went straight past me.

Lucky our road is quiet and they just went across to the grass on the other side and I chased them back in the yard with the help of my partner.

Another time I left the front gate open and ducked up the road to get bread, came home my colt was out in the house yard and someone had thankfully seen and shut the front gate for me! To this day the gate is always shut and the electric fence is running off mains and not battery!

Latest posts

Back