75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
default_wub.png
: So much Love!
default_wub.png
:

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: We are soo excited to help foster and later adopt and give them loving homes! :hypocrite:

default_cheekkiss.gif
: This is terrific! :cheeky-smiley-006: :cheeky-smiley-006: :cheeky-smiley-006:

default_cheers.gif
: And a BIG thanks to everyones hard work and continuous efforts...keep it up, 11 down and more need help!
default_please.gif
:

default_yes.gif
: Thank you to Mr. T for allowing all to help, they will be cared for and they have you to thank in allowing them to leave. :538:

THANK YOU to everyone who's made an effort for these little guys.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Good grass hay (not alfalfa) and fresh, clean water is the best start for these guys. No grain to begin with. If they've been starving as long as we suspect, their kidneys and digestive tracts are all messed up, so they have to be brought along slowly.

Worming is of secondary importance until stabilized.

Trims will need to be done incrementally. (Remember how your legs feel when you usually wear Tevas, but you wear high heels to a party and then take them off that night?)

What a FANTASTIC group of people!

Faith

I've been talking with a bunch of the mini folks who have been at Trenbly's with the deputy when the ten horses were surrendered. They had full access to examine the horses, the full property, the mini mules and goats. NO horses were down, they were all curious and moved well. There is a large pond on the property with lots of trees and shade, and a better looking pasture in the back. He has pastures to rotate the horses to for seasonal grass and horses that were moved (it is still not clear if they were moved but all were present today) went to those rotation pastures. The thinnest horses were surrendered. Tomorrow the KSU lead equine vet will do a full exam.

From what the folks could see in addition to needing the worming program many of the horses need dental work, especially a few that are very old (30's) and many younger horses that are thin, He had been feeding a cracked corn mix and the feed store produced his purchase receipts showing that he had been buying feed. Many of the horses really need to be on Equine Senior either permanently or until they have had their dental work. Then they need to be on a better feed that he agreed he would provide. The goats were in good shape and getting to feel their body structure showed tht they are doing well. He has been told by the sheriff that he has to move the junk, tires and the vehicles. There were bones that had been buried and were dug up by his dog, the vet records and receipts showed that he had some horses died of West Nile last year. No carcasses were on the property.

That's good news. The vet exam will determine what should be done withthe balance of the horses. Ginny is on her way there. SHe is going to try to meet with Mary and Victor while she is there if that is possible.

Trembly is now understanding that he is in over his head and this is much bigger than he thought it was. He is beginning to trust the rescue groups representatives and will work with them. For now we do not need to file any private civil actions and charges may be forgone if he is cooperating. That is a much better situation than pulling out all of the horses and not having the benefit of knowing their histories and backgrounds. We do not need to continue pressuring the local law enforcement for now. Tomorrow is a big day and we'll know more but we can rest with the thought the horses are not suffering or dying right now.

It is easy to label someone a hoarder but that really is a medical diagnosis - not something that can truly be determined by mere observations of a spot in time. Those I spoke with seem to believe that Trembly is an old mini person who hangs on to his minis because they are what is left of his life. That's a slightly different situation.

As many of you know my dear friend Margie has been severely ill and got to the point where she had to recognize that she could not take care of her horses herself and her family was not as loyal to her minis as she had been - I could not drive a 2 to 3 hour round trip everyday to make sure they had the care they needed as a permanent solution (although I did for months at at time). Even at one point if someone had stepped into the situation they would have criticized us because the horses had gotten too thin when the folks we trusted to continue the care failed us. She bravely faced selling off all of her horses. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to experience. She insisted on doing our best to be sure they went to the best possible homes and were not scattered across the waters at auction. It was excruciatingly painful to get that done. I am not surprised that other folks are not as strong or brave and cannot face their own limitations on caring for their horses. Margie is one tough ol bird who is brave and strong.

I would encourage all odf us to take a shot at working the situation in accordance with what the veterinary recommendations are from tomorrow and the guidance of the mini hors people who are hands on at this point to tell us what will be best to remedy the problem in the short term and in the long term. IF the vet finds that some of the minis are indeed in reasonable condition there will be no legal basis for simpling seizing them. Without Trembly's trust and cooperation if that happens we will have no way to impact what happens to those horses. If we have his trust and cooperation we will. So tomorrow is a big day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vicki I commend you on your excellent post and a balanced analysis of the situation. Well done. I foresee a win-win situation evolving for Mr. Trembly and his horses.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

What a FANTASTIC start!!! You guys are awesome!!!
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

How soon before we will know which ones they are?

I know this is not going to be popular with so many of you but I can't live with myself without posting what I know and feel so intensely about all of this deep in my heart.

The Vern Trembly I have known for 12 years has truly loved his horses. And it is very true that he has gone without things himself to feed them. He has always lived "Simply"..........in ways most of us can't even imagine.

When he started to see them starting to be thin, his mistake is that he tried to make the things that had always worked for him in the past... work, and this time it did not. When he got in touch with vets to help it was too late to keep them from getting really thin before their advice started to work.

I also try to fix things before I contact a vet usually. My vet is happy to help me and let me keep things on hand so I can handle things and he even compliments me sometimes the more I learn about doing things myself. So I do understand that way of thinking.

Vern was used to the fact that pasture and grain kept their weight on in the past. And he did worm every 3 months. That is not as often as every two months but it certainly is not neglect!!

When I met him 12 years ago his horses were healthy and he had a large number then too, at least 100. And they lived on pasture. That was after he had owned them for nearly 40 years! They were not neglected horses. They clearly loved him!! In the evening he would whistle and they would come running. I always remember my favorite, a little buckskin stallion that he named Carebear.

I remember when I had my first horses about 25 years ago my vet told us to worm them every 6 months. It was not until years later that I learned they needed it more often!!

I am glad that I, and anyone else who may have talked to Vern about downsizing, in a kind caring manner ....... did.

When he is talked to with kindness, and not attacked, he shows his true down to earth kind friendly caring self.

Now, having given up 11 horses which I know was incredibly difficult for him to do, he is stepping up to the plate. And no matter how many choose to badmouth him and continue the horrible vengeful remarks, I know he is a kind caring good hearted man. And what I know in my heart is the truth about him, is what matters to me . Listening to some of the remarks for this whole thread has had me in tears at times.

I did try to talk him into surrendering some of them when I called him (as asked to do) but I truly hope he gets to keep some of them also. He got himself overwhelmed with numbers, as well as worms, and not enough pasture, before he realised they needed hay on top of pasture. He had Always fed grain even when I met him in Colorado! Maybe most of you are above mistakes, but I sure can imagine that this same thing might have happened to me.

So many times in life I remember "There but for the grace of God, go I . "

He has worked hard for them and they have looked Good for most of his 50 years of owning them!

And he is now trying his hardest to bring them back to health. It is not a show! I for one, know it is not.

I hope he surrenders some more, but I know he can and WILL be able to take care of a smaller number. I hope with all my heart he is allowed to.

Thank you for allowing me to express my feelings on this.

Respectfully,

Susan O.

It is just such a hard, hard situation, Susan. To see those pictures, and to know how badly some of them had to be suffering, and to know that many of those horses were not far from dying a horrible death. . .and the one person that could have changed everything for them, that held their fates in his hands, wasn't doing that - even when friends called (which I really appreciate you doing, by the way).

In a way I do feel bad for him. I'm sure his life is just falling to pieces for him right now.

But I have to say here on this public forum - no matter what happens to me - if any of you ever come to my place, and you see my animals looking like that - PLEASE take them from me - because something has gone so dreadfully wrong with me I am really just not myself anymore.

Sad situaton all around.

Susan I appreciate your position.. but I have to say and have thought this all day.. not worming your horses every 8 weeks and doing it every 12-16 weeks instead does not lead to horses looking that thin period lets be honest 4 times a year is more often then many horses all over this country get de-wormed and they dont look like that.

Now that said do I think that with some SERIOUS downsizing he can manage to have and keep some of these little horses that were such a large part of his life yes I do

I am glad that for whatever reason he agreed to let some go and hope he agrees to let some more go so that he can have the time and ability to enjoy the ones he keeps and can get things back under control

this looks like it is going to have a much better outcome then any of us anticipated and bottom line that is what counts

I've been talking with a bunch of the mini folks who have been at Trenbly's with the deputy when the ten horses were surrendered. They had full access to examine the horses, the full property, the mini mules and goats. NO horses were down, they were all curious and moved well. There is a large pond on the property with lots of trees and shade, and a better looking pasture in the back. He has pastures to rotate the horses to for seasonal grass and horses that were moved (it is still not clear if they were moved but all were present today) went to those rotation pastures. The thinnest horses were surrendered. Tomorrow the KSU lead equine vet will do a full exam.
From what the folks could see in addition to needing the worming program many of the horses need dental work, especially a few that are very old (30's) and many younger horses that are thin, He had been feeding a cracked corn mix and the feed store produced his purchase receipts showing that he had been buying feed. Many of the horses really need to be on Equine Senior either permanently or until they have had their dental work. Then they need to be on a better feed that he agreed he would provide. The goats were in good shape and getting to feel their body structure showed tht they are doing well. He has been told by the sheriff that he has to move the junk, tires and the vehicles. There were bones that had been buried and were dug up by his dog, the vet records and receipts showed that he had some horses died of West Nile last year. No carcasses were on the property.

That's good news. The vet exam will determine what should be done withthe balance of the horses. Ginny is on her way there. SHe is going to try to meet with Mary and Victor while she is there if that is possible.

Trembly is now understanding that he is in over his head and this is much bigger than he thought it was. He is beginning to trust the rescue groups representatives and will work with them. For now we do not need to file any private civil actions and charges may be forgone if he is cooperating. That is a much better situation than pulling out all of the horses and not having the benefit of knowing their histories and backgrounds. We do not need to continue pressuring the local law enforcement for now. Tomorrow is a big day and we'll know more but we can rest with the thought the horses are not suffering or dying right now.

It is easy to label someone a hoarder but that really is a medical diagnosis - not something that can truly be determined by mere observations of a spot in time. Those I spoke with seem to believe that Trembly is an old mini person who hangs on to his minis because they are what is left of his life. That's a slightly different situation.

As many of you know my dear friend Margie has been severely ill and got to the point where she had to recognize that she could not take care of her horses herself and her family was not as loyal to her minis as she had been - I could not drive a 2 to 3 hour round trip everyday to make sure they had the care they needed as a permanent solution (although I did for months at at time). Even at one point if someone had stepped into the situation they would have criticized us because the horses had gotten too thin when the folks we trusted to continue the care failed us. She bravely faced selling off all of her horses. It was the hardest thing I have ever had to experience. She insisted on doing our best to be sure they went to the best possible homes and were not scattered across the waters at auction. It was excruciatingly painful to get that done. I am not surprised that other folks are not as strong or brave and cannot face their own limitations on caring for their horses. Margie is one tough ol bird who is brave and strong.

I would encourage all odf us to take a shot at working the situation in accordance with what the veterinary recommendations are from tomorrow and the guidance of the mini hors people who are hands on at this point to tell us what will be best to remedy the problem in the short term and in the long term. IF the vet finds that some of the minis are indeed in reasonable condition there will be no legal basis for simpling seizing them. Without Trembly's trust and cooperation if that happens we will have no way to impact what happens to those horses. If we have his trust and cooperation we will. So tomorrow is a big day.

Thank you for your post.

Susan, I do understand where you are coming from, as you have a more personal outlook on things, as he is a friend of yours, and for that, he should be thankful for having such a true friend in you. You definately ARE, a good true friend to him, and the kind of friend that many folks would like to have.

My hopes are that he sees the urgency in the situation that some of those horses are now facing, and turns the extremely thin, and malnourished ones, as well as those needing immediate medical attention over to rescue right now, and then hopefully can also be persuaded into selling or rehoming most of the remaining ones. He really cannot handle that number, and it would be best for him to face that fact, and keep a few that he can more easily manage(like 5, maybe 10 tops) and take care of for pets, but I really truely, and honestly feel that he is in waaaaaay over his head with the numbers he has, and should no longer be raising them, as they are multiplying faster than he can care for them.

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and findings. This is more to think about. I know I have had a very difficult time of sleeping since I have seen all the pictures of the minis. I will keep on hoping and praying that they will all become healthier than what the pictures showed them to be. I guess we will hear after the vet reports if many of them really did have cancer or not. It has been difficult sorting through all that has been said and know which was true and which wasn't. I truly hope Vern will do what is best for the horses. Thank you for being so level headed and donating your time. Mary

I am so thrilled that progress is being made. Now think of just what it is going to cost to help all these horses. :new_shocked: I'm just reminding all of you to check out the CMHR Auction to either donate an item to sell or maybe buy something you see or even just make a monetary donation of as little as $5. Contact me via PM or email for info.

http://www.lblastchanceauction.com/cgi-bin...;categoryID=136

Thank you all so much for caring and giving.
default_wub.png
:

Sorry Vicki but I am going to strongly disagree with some of what you said and I do so with the utmost respect for you so please don't get mad at me for voicing my opinion.

And Susan, I know how your feelings have been hurt by all this. I am so sorry about that I truly am. I know you are a good person, a very good person, and a very good horse mommy and you are defending a man that you used to know in a different time. Maybe your friend is not vicious or calculating the way he is being portrayed and things just got away from him. Ok, I might buy that.

I see people up here daily not properly caring for their animals but oh my gosh "they LOVE them" !!! Sure they do, in their own minds. But the lack of care still exists that goes along with that love.

I feel that it took over 40,000 people to knock some sense into that man and I am not going to sit still and wait until the next time he screws up and needs another knock upside the head by the next group of 40,000 people.

Those little horses suffered tremendously over the years and still continue to do so by his hand. I feel that these horses are a privilege to own and care for and he has absolutely no business with them any longer. This is not an experiment for us to see whether he will or will not pass the test of time again at the expense of the little horses.

I will never forget Union town and what we have gone through there and I have no intention of ever having to go up against that so called law enforcement again in that place where those horses will continue to reside if permitted to remain there. He needs to be shut down now and forever and just give it up and move on with his life playing checkers or Bingo or something that does not involve careing for any type of animal.

As for Virginia who is en-route as we speak, she said to tell you all: she will reserve judgement until tomorrow when she does her own bit of investigation. She is very persistant that Ronnie counted 120 horses at first visit. Then she (Virginia) and Jess counted 104 which left some missing within days of that first count by Ronnie, and she wants them located. Monday there were less than 100 horses approxminately 94 and she wants every last horse accounted for and their whereabouts known to her immediately. The figures just don't add up.

I am thankful that 11 have been removed, I am hopeful that many more will be as well. As I watched the lastest news that someone posted the link to the first thing came to my mind when watching Mr. Trembly is that in HIS mind he truly believed that nothing was wrong or basically he was in denial. Unfortunately it took this much publicity and emotional upheaval to get the message across to him. When I heard him say that he has so far as gone without electricity, I knew right then and there that this was a very sad situation. At his age, he shouldn't be going through denying HIMSELF the basics of life, that just doesn't make any sense, and by him saying that it meant to me that he just can't afford all these horses, I think he finally realized that as well. As Mona said, I think, under veterinary assistance and perhaps monitoring by friends that being able to care for a much smaller number is not unfeasible in this situation. The horses will be happier, and Mr. Trembly will not have to forgo the basics for himself. What a very sad situation for all concerned, human and animals. Susan, would you relay a message to him, please tell him we aren't the nasty people trying to take all his horse away just because we want them, that was not the intent and I am so sorry he feels that way. I hope in the days to come he does see that we have his horses best interest at heart, that was the crux of the whole situation. It's time for the horses to heal and for humans to heal from this entire ordeal as well. Thanks Susan.

Susan I appreciate your position.. but I have to say and have thought this all day.. not worming your horses every 8 weeks and doing it every 12-16 weeks instead does not lead to horses looking that thin period lets be honest 4 times a year is more often then many horses all over this country get de-wormed and they dont look like that.

Now that said do I think that with some SERIOUS downsizing he can manage to have and keep some of these little horses that were such a large part of his life yes I do

I am glad that for whatever reason he agreed to let some go and hope he agrees to let some more go so that he can have the time and ability to enjoy the ones he keeps and can get things back under control

this looks like it is going to have a much better outcome then any of us anticipated and bottom line that is what counts
I do so agree with all of this. Around here there are many people that deworm their horses only twice a year--we did the same up until not too long ago. The past couple years there seem to be bigger worm loads so we have increased the number of dewormings--but by looking at the horses you would never know that worms had become a bigger problem that now require different control that what this area required in the past.

I too do much of my own vet work--I don't call the vet out unless I absolutely have to, and my vet is okay with that, very helpful on phone consultations & such, and she knows that when I ask her to come out, I really do need her to come out. I can say though that I'd never let horses get into such poor shape before I did take more drastic measures if what I was doing wasn't working. An owner must be able to honestly evaluate the horses' condition and get help before the horses deteriorate so badly. I also have more respect & sympathy for someone who--when confronted with the truth by an outsider--will stand back, take a second look and admit that there is a problem.

I think all would have looked more kindly on Vern if right at the start he had stepped up and admitted yes, there's a serious problem, I'm trying to deal with it, this is what I've done so far, I'm ashamed to say that I didn't see it sooner than I did, but I am working on fixing it now....instead of totally denying that there is anything wrong. As late as two days ago he was denying that there is anything wrong. He was supposedly fixing the problem, and yet Friday Ginny arrived to find the horses had no water. Regardless of what one is trying to fix in one's feeding program, water is easy. It's a constant--one can see that if the horses drain the water long before the tubs get refilled....you add more tubs.

That said, I am so happy to hear that Vern is now cooperating and has allowed the 10 or 11 horses to be taken into care. Hopefully he will agree to give up more of them, and if he can get down to a more manageable number and look after those properly, that will be great for him. It can be hard to realize that one must slow down & cut back as one ages.

Susan,

No flames from me. There is always another side to the story. You are right, and as I have said on other cases with CMHR and even on this thread that we should not judge. Yes, it is hard to do when all we have is a few bad pictures that tug at our hearts. And yes, these horses are in bad shape. But, without knowing Mr Trembly personally, I could not and would not judge him as it is obvious to me that he does love his herd. Most people that get into this situation love their animals. But sometimes one is so blinded by love that they can not see the hurt that same love has caused.

I am glad that Mr Trembly allowed more horses to go than what was originally thought by CMHR. I commend Mr Trembly on making that tough decision.

And Susan, I have to say that you are a great person also. You were stuck in a really really bad spot with having to choose between the good of those horses and the good of your friend. You handled it well.

Please let Mr Trembly know that not everyone on this thread or on this forum judges him. It is not for me to see the thorn in his eye and not see the plank in my own. And as my boss says when something bad happens... "It is what it is, now how do we fix it." I think that Mr Trembly is finally working on that.

And maybe, just maybe, he can make freinds with some of the rescue members so that he can learn new ideas on how to best help his horses so that he can keep just a few and manage them in a whole new way that ensures they are healthy, and of an easily manageable number for him or any one that may help him.

I haven't read Susan O's last post or the ones that follow it. I did however watch the 6 News that StacD was good enough to provide to us. During the newscast Mr. Trembly said he's spent 50 years building a herd and doesn't think other people 'deserve' them. Perhaps I can relate more to his feelings than some of you younger people can but I found myself thinking that I honestly hope that someday Vern will understand that we're doing this for the horses, not for ourselves. I was as horrified as any of you at their condition and I'd like to think I worked as hard as most to try to save them, but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of feeling compassion. If any of Verns friends are reading this, please tell him I said thank you and that I'm sorry things had to come to this.

Edited to add: I've read them now and have to say Susan O that I wish I had a friend like you!!! It had to be very difficult to know the Vern you know and to come on this forum and see things that I'm sure, as you said, brought you to tears. Bless you for not just washing your hands of the whole thing, but talking with Vern and trying to help him understan that our goal was not to cause him pain. Bless you for your dedication to the man you know!

WOOOHOOOO!! It was finally on the Wichita news here in Kansas! They said that 11 horses had been rescued, but nearly 100 more still needed rescuing.

Thank you to the rescues who worked so hard and thank you to Mr Trembly for stepping up and letting those little horses get some of the help that they need. I know it must have been hard to let them go, but if you truly love them as you say you do, then it should make you happy to know that they will recieve such great care. Sometimes, you have to love enough to let go.

Marty I respect your voice and would fight to the death to defend your right to disagree with me. How about coming down off the mountain to see for yourself? Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back