75 - 125 Kansas Minis "OMG Please help by WRITING!!"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to foxkansas.com. It's on there web site!!! :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
: :aktion033:

I am more of a "lurker" than a poster. I am trying to keep updated with all the posts. :lol:

I live in Kansas and have my foster application in to CMHR.

I contacted Ginny last week and am able to help foster some if needed.

There seems to be alot of help available in Kansas. I am glad Vern decided to let us help him.

We are here.....ready for the challenge. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

From Fox News in Wichita (copied from the website)

Miniature Horses In Need of Help

Last Update: 9:50 pm

Print Story | Email Story

A hundred animals in need of help. The herd of miniature horses in Uniontown, Kansas is drawing nationwide attention.

A Wellington man is heading up the rescue mission -- collecting food, medical supplies and foster homes.

More than a hundred miniature horses, all crammed into a pasture with no grass to eat, and filled with scrap metal.

Uniontown in Bourbon County is now on the minds of horse lovers across the nation.

Ronni Folden is one of those horse lovers.

"Some of them even have pasture rot all over their backs," she said, "some of them are there was one little one that was bleeding. This last time I went out, one of them was missing an eye. It's pitiful."

The mini-horses owner, Vernon Trembly says he loves his animals. "I've had them for so many years, they're part of me. it's that simple."

But at 71, a herd of a hundred is too much to handle.

That's where Victor McMullen man comes in. He runs a horse rescue farm in Wellington, and he's now the coordinator for the nationwide rescue mission.

"We're working with horse clubs from all over the United States, trying to get these horses out of of there, and into homes," he said. "People are offering money, they're offering feed, they're offering transportation, and that's what we're looking for. Those four things."

Mcmullen usually works with big horses; miniature horses present a problem.

While a lot of people will want to help the mini horses, not a lot of people will be equipped to do so. Fences are several feet high to keep in horses. But mini-horses are only about two and a half feet tall. They could get through a gap in the fence slats quickly, and escape.

But right now, the only escape Mcmullen and others are thinking about is off the farm in Uniontown, and into a place that can give the animals a chance to get back to health.

"Give them a life," said McMullen, "they deserve it."

www.southernwindsequinerescue.org

www.chancesminihorserescueorg

For those wanting to know what SWER stood for Southern Wind Equine Rescue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Susan I am sorry this whole thing has hurt you so much on a personal level. Nila put things as eloquently as I could ever hope to. As I said earlier it looks as if this could well turn out to be a win-win situation for Mr. Trembly and his horses. The ideal scenario will see the neediest horses getting the care they need. With guidance Mr. Trembly can get the rest of the herd in to shape and proceed with a herd reduction the way most folks would. That would leave him in a position to enjoy those horses that he keeps.

Marty, nothing is ever black and white unfortunately. I said way back when this first broke that this could well be a bad thing that happened to a good person and his horses and that there was likely a lot of this story that we don't know and indeed may never know. I am taking myself back to that original assessment. There are things that could have been handled differently by everyone involved in this situation. That is human nature though and I am hoping that Mr. Trembly will not be the only one who will learn some lessons as a result of this experience and in the days to come. So perhaps we can do what he is being asked to do. Open ourselves to new and different viewpoints.

CBS news in wichita picked it up also!!!
I just saw it, I thought they did a good job.
I also just saw the story on the Wichita CBS station... I agree they did a good job. Pretty much the same story as was on Wichita Fox station. They showed Ronni speaking, showed Victor McMullen from the Wellington Rescue who is lining up foster homes and they said a KSU vet will be out tomorrow to see and assess them. And this CBS station is known for only reporting facts verified by two reliable sources... (they call our office sometimes for stories and to verify facts), so I believe these events are actually true/happening.

They said info is on their website... the CBS link is KWCH.com

Marty I respect your voice and would fight to the death to defend your right to disagree with me. How about coming down off the mountain to see for yourself? Vic

Come git me Vicki I'm all yours (((((( ))))))))

Ok: This is the way I see it for now and I am trying desperately to keep an open mind. And I do mean that!

I'm not trying to being harsh on purpose. I know a lot about senior citizens and I've taken care of my elderly parents and aunts and I am also married to one! So I am compassionate when they become misguided but this thing before us is a trainwreck. I am looking at the facts. That's all.

I think this is a temporary fix, a band aid. I did ask that they "throw me a bone" and surender just 1 or a few, whatever, to show good faith and they did that. Ok. Would never have happened on it's own. It took moving mountains to move them to give up a handful.

Next:

I am presently thinking of winter:

There is no shelter.

No way to provide warm water; and we all know without warm water there will be colic.

There is a pond which will freeze over and cause additional problems unattended.

He does not live on the property and told us many times he had no ride out there.

The round bails are great, until they begin to get wet and mold.

And if he needs help, will he know to call for help before it's too late?

If he faulters again, how in the world is anyone going to drive through ice and snow and blizzard conditions to help the horses?

How in the world will we be able to assemble help in the dead of winter and perform a rescue if and when needed?

Who can then load up trucks and trailers on icey covered conditions and drive sick and ematiated horses to safety?

What about the horses that are going to foal? Who's going to get the foals delivered and sheltered?

What about the stallions breeding more mares?

Will he geld them all?

Will he buy more?

He owns property here and there and can easily sell off some land, not to mention horses, to

provide better for himself and the horses this entire time and he chose not to.

I stand fast at a complete surrender of all horses at this time.

I think it would be in the best interest in both Trembly and horses,

and if a time comes that you can prove me wrong I will admit

it and stand corrected.

Depending what transpires tomorrow with the KSU vet going out and what his report will be, the possibility could be that some will remain in his care. I am not going to say whether I agree, disagree with that possibility but we will have to accept the KSU vets report and the subsquent decision that will come of it. I know many don't empathize whatsoever with Mr. T but I was thinking tht for the sake of those that could possibly remain, that perhaps the volunteers that have come forward, the rescues in the area and just volunteers from Kansas would feel that perhaps, in the best interest of the horses that might remain to perhaps help in the cleaning up of where these horses will be. I know, I know, many are saying right now reading this, are you nuts? No, I don't think so, sleep deprived maybe, but not nuts. I am just thinking that we have to accept what the KSU vet says and instead of gnawing our teeth, blood boiling angry at perhaps that decision, well I think that perhaps if this was done, should Mr. T ever run into this kind of problem again, that he won't be so defensive and perhaps might just ask for help should the need ever arise again. Also with that kind of a gesture, should it be required, something good could come of this and perhaps Mr. T would relinquish the remaining ones or most of them to others. Just a thought.

Marty - Would it be good if the info on feeding, deworming and caring for these fostered horses could be pinned so anyone in need could get to it quickly ( until the pamplet can be finsihed anyways )?.......................... I also feel sorry for Vern but I feel more for the horses. At some point he is going to HAVE to downsize big time - so do it now while there is help.................... As for not affording necessary care, how was he going to buy the other property (or do we know this to be true). Susan, anyone how about suggesting that he sell some property ( if in fact he does own several pieces).

I agree with Marty.Now is the time when there is all this help available to get ALL of those Minis out of that horrible situation.If some are left there it will just go back to what it is now especially with winter coming.Maybe Mr.Trembly should just get a cat that he can keep inside.I just don't feel sorry for him at all.Even a child abuser or wife beater claims how much they "LOVE" the wife or child, but they keep on doing bad stuff. These special little horses deserve to be where they can receive some care and love just like Marty said in her letter. I know when Gini gets there she will make things happen with the aid of others.

You certainly don't have to feel sorry for him at all. As i said this entire situation has been so emotionaly draining to all concerned... I just don't want everyone to go absolutely bananas SHOULD the KSU vet deem that some can stay in his care. It is a possibility that we all have to face. Getting angry about that isn't going to help the horses that may, by law, remain in his care. I am just trying to think of the horses at this point, all of them, whether they do get rehomed or not. Well I am off to bed to get a few hours of sleep
default_wacko.png
: before I have to be up in 5 hours, yuck. I know I will sleep a little better tonight knowing that things are finally in motion... nite all.

I really feel like a big old meanie I really do but I just call it as I see it.

I hate feeling like this but I can't get those pictures out of my head.

I know this sounds stupid but I actually felt the pain of that little horse there

with no eye ball and it physically hurt me. I just want all the hurt to stop, that's

all, no more hurt for the little horses, and if that makes me rotten or a meanie

in the eyes of everyone I can't help it, I don't mean to be.
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

I really feel like a big old meanie I really do but I just call it as I see it.
I hate feeling like this but I can't get those pictures out of my head.

I know this sounds stupid but I actually felt the pain of that little horse there

with no eye ball and it physically hurt me. I just want all the hurt to stop, that's

all, no more hurt for the little horses, and if that makes me rotten or a meanie

in the eyes of everyone I can't help it, I don't mean to be.
I feel exactly the same way, Marty.....don't apologize for it. It is SO hard for me and is one of the reasons I haven't posted much if at all about this whole situation even though I've followed it and done my share of following up, sending e-mails, etc.

I can't tolerate people like this old guy anymore. I don't want to hear excuses for him or apologies or sympathy. I've been around too long and seen too much. Doing foster care for 13 years now I've seen and heard everything and I've seen children come out of basically the same situation these horses are in - and in some cases worse. At least the children have a voice (though small) and can speak for themselves to a certain extent. The poor horses are completely at the mercy of the person that owns them.

Marty you misunderstood - I didn't mean to come down and fight with me - I meant that we need you to go to Uniontown to see for yourself. It is one thing to form opinions based on photos, the forum and internet postings but it is completely different to get out of your comfort zone and lay your hands on, meet the people and see for yourself. Don't pontificate. Get out and go see. You want to disagree with the observations of the folks that have gotten out - then go see for yourself. I trust their observations and assessments of the situation that is based on personal contact and not assumptions from internet gossip. You have a good eye. Either trust those that are on the ground or go report back to us on where we are wrong. It is not a rumble - it is fact finding. Put your effort where your internet mouth is.

Marty,

I agree-- you aren't a meanie... you're just seeing the big picture and down the road events. I hope that if indeed he does keep some of the horses that some other provisions will be required. Winter in Kansas IS a big deal! Our horses are fortunate in that they get to wear nice warm blankets and are stalled overnight in our barn with heated water. However, during a particularly nasty ice storm we lost power, and I literally was trudging through several feet of snow and ice every hour to take water heated from the house out to the barn. I can't imagine how those minis of his can survive without electricity to run a stock tank heater... when the one in our pasture failed, I had to chop a hole with an ax, and it refroze in less than a half hour! How does he even fill those buckets, when hoses freeze? And to imagine being in a Kansas snowstorm without any shelter... horrifying. I guess the cars/refridgerators/debris actually might be beneficial in the winter, as at least they could huddle behind it.

I do have sympathy for the man in some respects, in that I know that he probably does love his horses... I remember trying to explain to my Grandmother that it was time to let go of her precious dog to someone else, as she wasn't properly caring for it. She THOUGHT she was doing everything right, and honestly didn't see the issues that were so blindly obvious to everyone else. It did take us pointing it out to her for her to finally realize that she needed to put the dog's needs ahead of her own. But, just because she was now aware of her errors/lack of care, didn't mean that we let her have a second chance... it wouldn't have been fair to the dog to play the lotto of "we'll see if things change".

Anyway, just wanted to say that you aren't a meanie!

Marty, I dont think you are mean, you are staying focused on the horses.

I am pretty torn- one minute I just want to make Mr. Trembly into a speed bump on the road, and the next hour I feel sorry for him too. I remember when my mother was unable to care for her pets any more. It just crushed us all, but she made the decision to know that they were going to be taken care of as they should be.

Susan, I understand how you feel too, however friend or not, these horses did not get into this shape just this month or this year. Some have come forward to note that this has been going on for years (plural), not just lately. However you knew of things 12 years ago has changed.

As hard as it is to see them go, it would kill me to watch my horses waste away, and knowing it was my fault for lack of care, if I was unable to for some reason- age, money, or whatever. That would kill me way worse than finding them homes so at least I knew they would be cared for and safe. Would I cry my heart out? Of course I would, but I cannot stand to see ANYthing suffer, and could not live with myself if I knew it was my fault in the slightest.

I understand that it is hard for Mr. Trembly to admit that it is difficult to take care of them all as they should be. Nobody likes to admit that they cant keep up with what they used to.- sometimes I have to and I HATE it But what if something happened during the winter and Mr. T became ill, slipped on ice and fell or whatever- WHO would take care of those horses out there??!

THANK YOU Mr. Trembly for surrendering the ones that you did. They are in good hands now and they will take care of your babies and give them everything they need so they will be shiny and sleek, stand with their heads up high, eyes sparkling, a breeze lifting their manes, and then they will snort, throw their tails in the air, and take off running and bucking, kicking up their heels in sheer joy of play.

It all breaks my heart- for Mr. Trembly and this herd of Minis and goats too. However, I could not sleep nights, knowing that some of these horses are in a barn with plenty of feed and a friendly scratch behind the ears each night, and some are standing out in a field without water warm enough to drink, or none at all, with a belly full of dirt instead of hay, shivering and huddled together to try to find some warmth and comfort somehow while another ice storm blows in- and another one dies.

So as heartbreaking as it is to have to part with what you love the most, the welfare of the horses is first and foremost here and what kind of life and future they are going to have- or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back