Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the harness from Yonies Harness. They do only harnesses and driving equipment. The harness was sort of semi custom as I wanted a few add ons to their pleasure harness. It is the padded style, synthetic. I got a semi V breast collar with an adjustable line of draft and a bridle with dual over checks, a fitted crown and a few other!doo-dads. The back saddle has a tree, I am holding my breath that they will adjust to it OK. It fit Peanut well when I ground drove him the other day and he seemed happy. !Cappy wore it for a few minutes and it didn't ruffle his feathers. I might have to get trace extenders, I won't know until I can get my cart out and hitch them though and the weather just has been to uncooperative.
I had a freind from "back in the day" who is sales rep for there harnesses. She came and measured them up for me. They took an A sized harness with a B sized breeching (big bums!). The weird thing is the minis were only one inch apart or exactly the same on their measurements. Odd as Peanut is taller by about three inches.

Hope you get to visit your guys soon, maybe over the long weekend?
What color Mara fun harness would you get?

Isn't that funny about measurements? Candace and Smokey look like twins when they are next to each other but their harness sizes are soooo different. And then you have two who look very different but end up wearing the same size harness. Go figure.

Marafun harness would have to be some lime green (I'm a little obsessed) maybe with a little blue.... I haven't let myself get that far along in my thought process because if I pick out colors and everything for sure I'll end up buying it ;)

This is exactly why I stress that people send in their measurements when they order harness! Just buying an A size harness or a B size will ensure it doesn't properly fit the horse when you get it.

I also stress that people measure the actual pony and not their existing harness. I always can tell that someone has measured an existing harness when they send the measurements in because the numbers will be soooo whacky! LOL!

People really hate it when I second guess measurements, but they often measure something too small and when I ask them to remeasure they are shocked at how off they were.

I JUST got this MaraFUN harness two days ago! Of course we are sitting at about -20 degrees so trying it on has to wait until we warm up a little bit but I can hardly wait! It's black with lime green 'trim'.

It's mostly for Mikey but Zorro will wear it sometimes too!

mikeysharness.jpg

Better watch out Mindy, MajorClem is quite fond of lime green...that pretty harness might find its way to her house :D

I have only been able to try out my new harness ground driving a little bit. The weather hasn't been very too here, either.
I did have Peanut out today, it was cold and his nemisis the Turkey Vulture has reappeared so he was quite a handful. He would not go to the corner of the paddock where the Vulture was seen roosting this morning until my husband went over and "beat the bushes" to show him it was safe. He then was fine. Before then, he would sit and spin. Last Spring we had a few days of the same behavior and that was just high spirits and foolishness. I am estimating today's antics where 75% legitimate concern over the bird as the last time it was out there it dive bombed him.
He seems to like the harness. I can't wait to hitch him and see if the traces are long enough. I may need extenders. Can someone tell me how those attach?

LOL! Lime green is my favorite color right behind teal :) And the ponies look so GOOD in green!

Trace extenders usually buckle onto the slots of your existing traces. Then they have a slot on the other end to attach to your single tree. The ones I have ended up being just a touch too long for what I needed and were a bit unwieldy. I ended up just ordering the next size up in traces and that solved my issue. Are your traces buckle in?

Also traces often seem too short until you get them attached to the vehicle. And then somehow they are the right length! LOL! I'm not sure why that is....

One day, I would like to have such a cool harness too... IF they would ship to Europe... :(

We have a very messy weather situation that makes almost impossible to drive at the moment. There was a lot of snow that came very fast - it was possible to drive the sled once.

schlitten.jpg

But the other day, the snow disappeared and then we've had snowy mu, then icy roads. Yesterday, it started again to snow and within one night, we have had 10 inches. But this afternoon, it starts to rain :confused: No fun at all. So I walk or go running every day with my horses, instead of driving...

We have had terrible fog for so many days! We think it will burn off, but it just hangs around. Or it might clear off a little by 4 o'clock and then it is too late to drive. I walk in it sometimes with my orange safety vest on, but it's a little scary. NOT like the Oklahoma prairie at all!

The weather has been difficult to work in here, too. Our winter here sounds similar to Northwolf's. Last winter I was able to work them much more.

Mindy, my traces are buckle in. When we fitted them, she said she was pretty sure that they would be fine, but they DO look short. I have room to add one more hole if I have to. Enough room to add maybe a tad under two inches. If it doesn't work, I will take your advice!and just buy longer traces.

One day, I would like to have such a cool harness too... IF they would ship to Europe... :(

We have a very messy weather situation that makes almost impossible to drive at the moment. There was a lot of snow that came very fast - it was possible to drive the sled once.

View attachment 39610

But the other day, the snow disappeared and then we've had snowy mu, then icy roads. Yesterday, it started again to snow and within one night, we have had 10 inches. But this afternoon, it starts to rain :confused: No fun at all. So I walk or go running every day with my horses, instead of driving...
I could surely send a harness to Europe! Have already sent three to Norway! And my, how good your pair would look in THIS harness!! We brought colour into this market way back in 2012 - nice to see how many others have followed suit, and learned about measuring for harness, so they actually fit. I have helped and guided quite a few people on that line!!

Attachments

• tank lime 2.jpg
    tank lime 2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 7

View attachment 39610

Feeling your pain! We have had so much rain, which we don't like to complain about after years of drought. Our clay soil can only accept so much water. Lots of sinking mud and a lake in my round pen which once it drains, it rains again so all we can do is go for walks or do a little ground driving down our gravel road back & forth.

WOW! It sounds like you have some crazy weather going on over there! We have been having many many days of below zero with wind and snow. The snow I love! I don't mind the below zero, but the wind is starting to weigh on me...

Chimacum Tack sells harness over seas all the time :) We ship world wide!

I could surely send a harness to Europe! Have already sent three to Norway! And my, how good your pair would look in THIS harness!! We brought colour into this market way back in 2012 - nice to see how many others have followed suit, and learned about measuring for harness, so they actually fit. I have helped and guided quite a few people on that line!!
Does anyone know if harness like this is available in Canada?

You will be happy to know, it is MADE in Canada....I believe Patty is near Edmonton. I can verify that all their products....carts, harness...are of high quality and backed by deep knowledge.

@minister man Check out Patty's Pony Place online. She is indeed based in Canada and very good at what she does.

I was hoping to drive today. I came south for the sunshine... well it's rain... So I spent the day saying "hi" to the crew and snapped a few shots of Major. He makes friends wherever he goes. He's such a laid back gentleman. He was a 10 yo stallion when I fell in love with his personality and bought him. Even as a stud he was polite as ever and so sweet. I had him gelded soon after getting him and even though he'll never be a great driving horse he's still my favorite (shhh... don't tell the others).0-1.jpg 0.jpg
The rooster comes to share grain in the morning and the peacock at night. Both belong to different neighbors but both have found out that Major is willing to share the goodies.

Sorry!to hear about the rain :(. And it never rains much there, according to my mom. Hope the sun shines for you tomorrow.
We had a snowstom last night and I was hoping to go out in the sled, but the snow ended with rain. So now we have slush.

Major looks!good. I can see why he is a favorite :). I like his buddies!

That looks like some lovely hay you have there in the background.

Major is a shortie at 28".

We're lucky to have great hay growers close by. It comes from Enterprise, UT. They ship most of their hay to California but we're lucky to know a few hay farmers really well. My father was the UPS man in Enterprise for 35 years and he makes friends easily.

The last time I took Nugget for a walk he was impossible. He is so herd-bound he cannot even focus. I was worn out when we got home. This time I used the stud chain. It was a lot easier on me and he was able to focus on me. He was not nearly as distressed, which is interesting. When we got home, we practiced our side passing, walking on a 12" wide board, and standing on a pedestal. I am not going to ground drive him any more, I don't think, as he is not a suitable driving horse for me.
Dapper Dan and I had a good drive. It takes me a while to get his boots on as his feet are so hairy. He is standing nicely now for harnessing, and moves over at my cue to be straight for the shafts. It was pretty cold and windy but the sun was shining. We didn't hurry as long as the wind was at our back, but on the way home we mostly trotted as we were into the wind. Brrr! Stopped to chat with a neighbor and Dapper Dan had a drink out of their cattle tank and tried to eat his hat. It was so nice to be out driving after so many foggy, miserable days. Snow is due so this may be our last outing for a while.

Crazy weather... It's now too warm - and sunny. I love this! But in the forest, we have still BIG ice plates that makes impossible to drive. I've tried it on friday and saturday, but it was dangeraus, even with spikes on the horse boots! I'm VERY looking forward to springtime now.

Massai injured himself last week. He got tangled up in Teddys horse rug when they played together. My husband was outside and came back a few hours later. He found them tangled up. Massais front leg was ravelled in the cord, he wasn't able to put it down to the ground any more for hours. He walked on three legs the first time after we free him, so I called the vet who gave anti-inflammatory. And he had a few days of stall rest. It was a big luck that he recovered fast. He's almost ok now. But I'm still waiting to drive with him until next weekend.
I have now installed rated break points on all rugs to improve safety.

WOW! It sounds like you have some crazy weather going on over there! We have been having many many days of below zero with wind and snow. The snow I love! I don't mind the below zero, but the wind is starting to weigh on me...

Chimacum Tack sells harness over seas all the time :) We ship world wide!
Great to hear you ship worldwide! :) I've a friend who's VERY interested in Chimacum harnesses, I think we'll order our harnesses together one day :D

The last time I took Nugget for a walk he was impossible. He is so herd-bound he cannot even focus. I was worn out when we got home. This time I used the stud chain. It was a lot easier on me and he was able to focus on me. He was not nearly as distressed, which is interesting. When we got home, we practiced our side passing, walking on a 12" wide board, and standing on a pedestal. I am not going to ground drive him any more, I don't think, as he is not a suitable driving horse for me.
Maybe, he's better working without having the stress to become a driving horse. Time will show up! I think it's a good idea to work with him on his focus and behaviour. Once, you will be able to work on the driving education ;)
(it took a half a year before I started Moony as a driving horse! And another eight months to get him to the cart. He was still 8 years old at that time. I did many, many walks, went running and worked with him on ground manner and trust. He's a very reactive horse! But he might become the best driving horse I've ever had. Patience payed off!

Latest posts

Back