Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had about four inches of snow yesterday eve. I took Cappy out in the otter sled for a bit. He remembered his old job of hauling the manure tubs and seemed happy with it. When we were done with the "chores" I got in the sled for a quick spin. We stayed in the small paddock for that, just in case he decided to get fancy. He was tired by that point and was happy to plod along.

Ground drove Nugget for the first time today. He had worn a bridle before so that was no big deal. He has a very short mouth, so adjusted it the best i could for his hairy head. He did well. Just had a hard time responding to "walk up", which surprises me as he does well with that on our walks and on the lunge. I think it is me being BEHIND him that is confusing. No twirling around at all.

Nugget probably wondered where you disappeared to when you were behind him! I am glad he was a good boy. What kind of bit do you think you will end up using on him?

Marsha, if your parade is this weekend, I hope the weather cooperates.
It has been either wet or wetter here :-(.
I have not been able to drive except once in the sled with Cappy and once with Peanut for at least a month. I am doing some ground work, but it is too muddy to accomplish much. It is so wet here that the Christmas tree farms (cut your own tree) in town have shut down this week as it is too damaging to have people! and vehicles in the fields with all the muck. We need another hard frost.

Cayuse, you are sure having some uncooperative weather. Our weather has been absolutely gorgeous the last few days. I didn't play with the horses today because we had dr appt in OKC and went to a Christmas tree farm to get our tree. For some reason, I am just not motivated to work with Nugget. Lazy bones, I suppose! Parade is next weekend. Hope the weather holds.

Maybe it is the time of year? I have not been all that motivated either. I had to push myself to get the sled out, but had fun once I did. I wish the snow had stayed around. All this mud is depressing. On the bright side, the wet weather has brought the wild turkeys close to the house and barn. I love to watch them. And so do the horses.

I think it's the november blues all around... :( I'm less motivated too to drive, I do very short drives because it's too cold to sit for a long time on the cart. But I take the boys out for walks and running EVERY day and we love it :D nothing better than a run with them before I go the office ;)

Just getting caught up with everyone's daily adventures. I'm better at keeping up with recording the driving hours than I am keeping up on this thread so don't worry :)

@Northwolf What a fun trip with your horses! I was amazed at the Amish horses when I went to Iowa. They drive miles and miles and think nothing of it. They also know that when they stop it's time to rest. I guess that's why they have so little trouble parking them hitched for hours only tied by line to their bit ring. If I'd gone 10+ miles I'd just stand and rest too. I'm glad all your horses made it, but I'm not surprised. As much time as you spend working them I'm sure they are in great shape for long drives.

@Marsha Cassada Glad to hear you are starting work with Nugget. It's always interesting when you start driving them from behind and have to get them used to following cues rather than following you. Hoping the weather is good and we get parade pictures.

@Cayuse Glad you've gotten the sled out already. Didn't you get it pretty late last year and not get to use it much? I can't remember if it was last year or the year before. Time goes by so fast and the years blend together. That's great that Cappy remembered his job. He's a good one for sure!

I've been stuck in the cold North so no driving for me... I don't know about this sending all the horses south thing. I may keep Major and Clementine up here next winter since we finally got a shelter for them after they left this fall. They get soooo much hair that I know the cold weather doesn't really bother them. I also think Clementine would benefit from being up here with just Major and getting some personal attention. I also have sled runners for my EE and would like to get the OtterSled rigging or something similar. We've already got a good hard base layer of snow this year so it would have been perfect for sledding.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

Hi MajorClem!
I'd want to keep Major and Clem home, I'd get lonely without a mini around, lol. When life gets crazy (and it has been lately), they are who I talk to. They hear a lot of laughter, tears, and cuss words and don't get all judgey as long as the hay pile gets replenished frequently.

It rained again all weekend so no driving. I had a lesson Friday, we worked on ground work with Peanut. Keeping his mind and feet moving makes for a happy Peanut. Doing some of the same with Cappy, too.
No rain forecasted for seven days! Hope stuff dries out now.

Hope you get to keep Clementine and Major with you. I'm sure they would be fine in your winter weather. And since you have a "sled"!!!
Weather has been great for over a week. This weekend is supposed to be snow/ice storm. No parade for me. I am strictly a fair-weather parader. They may even cancel the parade.
I take mine for walks, too. Sometimes I do both at the same time, but if their gaits are not compatible it is too hard. Nugget and Dapper Dan do pretty well together, but Nugget doesn't understand the whole "going for a walk" thing. So I take them separately for now.

i have been lost for so long , something wrong with my connection to this forum, i think it is straightened out now. boy did i miss u all. glad to get caught up. sounds like everyone is doing pretty good now. we r ok here.

We had very bad weather here in Europe :confused: all day very rainy, cold and finally tons of mud on the roads. Santa (who's coming on december 6 in our country) and his donkey were clumping through the mud in the forest instead of snow. Last weekend, we had stormy winds that destroyed some trees. Today was the first day with a slight frost. Hopefully winter is coming up now.
I cleaned my carriages and harnesses on sundays while it was stormy outside.

@Northwolf What a fun trip with your horses! I was amazed at the Amish horses when I went to Iowa. They drive miles and miles and think nothing of it. They also know that when they stop it's time to rest. I guess that's why they have so little trouble parking them hitched for hours only tied by line to their bit ring. If I'd gone 10+ miles I'd just stand and rest too. I'm glad all your horses made it, but I'm not surprised. As much time as you spend working them I'm sure they are in great shape for long drives.
When I was visiting amish friends in the US 15 years ago, I was very impressed about their horses. But I was a bit sorry for the horses that the hitching looks uncomfortable. And they were too skinny, I think :(
Thanks! Yes, they're in great shape. When I take them out for a run, we can go easily 8 or 10 miles and they're not tired afterwards... Driving is a little bit more exhausting because we have hills. But it's no problem to drive 2 or 3 hours without having a rest. It's a lot of fun, whatever we do! :D I wish everyone could have that much fun with their minis!

@Marsha Cassada Sounds great! Keep it up! Nugget will become an amazing driving horse!

3 grand daughters are visiting. The youngest, age 8,Isabella driving.jpg is loving the horses. She is riding Nugget and drove Dapper Dan. It is so good for Nugget; she leaps up and throws herself across his back to get on, rubs him all over, and generally sends out horse-lover vibes to him. He was jumpy at first but settled down and seemed to enjoy it all. She drove Dapper Dan for an hour.

She makes me wish I was eight again!
I hope she gets more opportunities to drive DD while she is visiting.
Every mini should have a little girl that loves them :).

Latest posts

Back