Your Drive Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new ComfyFit harness arrived 2 weeks ago!!! Its so awesome - we absolutely love it! I'm so happy to have the possibility to add color to our driving. It's a real eyecatcher! :D

20190413_160749.jpg
The ponies love to pull with that collar. They all do a better canter with the deluxe collar (I meanwhile adjusted it a little bit to the top compared with the picture above which I shot on our very first drive)

Welcome to the comfy fit club! They really mean it when they said "comfy". My horses all love these harnesses. I started by just getting a Deep-V collar to put on my old harness, then I got the bridle, then I just got the whole harness for both minis and the Fjords.

I love the blue! Very smart looking on that sorrel mini! So glad you are enjoying it. It's nice when you find a piece of equipment that just works great for you and your horses.

My sister and I did the local patriotic parade on Saturday. Big storm blew through that morning, but the parade time was gorgeous. Just enough wind to get the flags moving. They putTF parade DD.jpg TF parade Jackie.jpg us in front of the Army caisson and it was sort of a problem because I kept stopping for children to pet Dapper Dan and the soldiers had to stop the caisson. Finally they went around me and that was better. Sometimes those big horses act up around our little ones, but these just looked at us curiously. It's a big job getting ready for a parade and then dismantling afterward. I always forget how much work it is. Our driving horses are seasoned paraders. My sister is holding Nugget. True to his unpredictableness, the waving flags, moving vehicles, and banners didn't faze him, but if someone stepped out from behind a vehicle he tried to bolt. He got some good exposure.

Marsha I love the pictures of your parade turnout! Dapper Dan is such a gentleman. I'm glad Nugget got to go along for the experience as well. And how fun to have an odometer. I think I might take that idea and install one on my EE cart.

I have my minis back but this has been the third wettest spring in history for our little valley. It's been over 100 years since we've had rain like this. We have 7-10 days of rain and then a day and a half or so of sun/partial sun. Luckily we don't have too big of a problem with mud around here now that the grass has finally come up but it makes for some miserable driving.

I did contact the Colorado Driving Society about helping at a CDE in August and they sent me the forms to fill out. My parents are both going as well and my son. We'll take turns helping out and spending time with my son.

Majorclem, I hear you about the rain. It has been insane here. Even after the rain stopped in my area, it continued to rain farther north so the rivers are up and the dams are full. We have had 4 days of sunshine! and yesterday I was able to walk out to the pasture without boots for the first time. My dirt road driving route is now passable also. I've been waiting for the mosquitoes, but so far they have not been bad. Drowned, maybe... Some wild life has been flooded out of nests and dens so we keep a sharp eye out.
One good thing is all the beautiful wild flowers. And we have a chance to enjoy them on the roadsides because it is too wet for the County to mow. When I am out with the horses I have to stop often to enjoy a new flower, or some pretty butterfly. Driving a horse on a country road is a great way to enjoy nature.

I have a question about bits. The smallest bit I have is 3 1/2". It is half cheek french link. It seems too large for Midnight. I can't find a smaller bit. Can anyone suggest a bit that might fit her better? Maybe a different style? An accessory that might keep it in place better?
I've been ground driving in a simple open bridle; I don't have a driving headstall small enough for her and don't want to invest in one unless I know she is going to drive for me. An overcheck might keep the bit in place better, but I can't attach one to the open bridle.
No driving folk around me to look at equipment or get advice.

Would a bit lifter help? I bet you could make one if you are handy.

Big black horse.com has a 3 inch half cheek snaffle in stock. I thought I remembered seeing one that tiny there when I was looking for bits, so I just went and checked.

Last edited:
I looked on the bigblackhorse site and could not find a 3". Maybe I didn't see it if it is a broken snaffle; I don't care for those.
I think a bit lifter would help; maybe I can fabricate something. The only caveson I have is way too large for her. Her head is teeny.

I think most of our "Drive Day" chatter has moved over to the "Driving Hours" forum. Glad we have so many active and chatty drivers this year. Our little group keeps growing!

I can't get anyone to help me with Midnight, so I'm just going to get brave and move forward by myself. Today I took her on the golf cart for a mile or so; she is confined to the dry corral for her weight, so I wanted her to have some good exercise first. Then we ground drove a little. Then I put the sulky on her and ground drove her. She does not mind the sulky on her at all. I did not get in; we just ground drove. Forgot to time it.

I've been putting a plastic jug in the corral with her with a few boss in it. It gives her something to do, stomping and carrying it, while she is confined.

Working her with the golf cart is a great idea! I bet it tires her out a bit, gets the sillys out.

I dunno if it is just me but almost the entire month of June is missing from the thread, it ends on June 2 and restarts Weds with MajorClems post. Its been that way for a few days on my iPad. Sometimes I think I'm lost in the "Mandela effect" with this iPad!

20 minutes driving Peanut yesterday, we worked on nothing. Just trotted and enjoyed the evening.

25 minutes this afternoon driving Cappy. A lot of it was just standing around working on patience and backing up and walking through cones. We were both lazy, it is hot. I think I posted this before but I can't tell because of the missing block of pages, but between the adequan and exercises he is moving better.

Marsha, I wish I lived near you, I would help with Midnight. I probably wouldn't be a whole lot of help, but I could hold and lead and stuff.

My sister came out and we drove over 3 miles. Mostly walking as the terrain was rather rough. We ponied Midnight and Nugget. Got home before the day warmed up too much. Then I ground drove Midnight a little and put her in the sulky. My sister put the lead rope on her while I rode in the sulky and drove. Midnight did very well.

Latest posts

Back