Will Precious EVER Foal??? Finally Has Rock Hard Udders

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still watching and waiting.........................
default_jerry.gif

default_new_shocked.gif
WHAT NO BABY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I for sure thought that when I left out on the 14th I'd come back to see color photo thread posted

I didnt get to check Thursday becasue I have not been home ! I just got in today at 1pm CDT

got chores done and went for feed etc.. and just now sitting down to browse the web. and

Check on Precious and I am stunned thats crazy

I know that when my full size waxed on the 28th of Feb she didnt foal til the 23rd of March ! I was in the barn

nonstop and i to got worried about no movement and the foal if it was alright etc... and if you saw the pics

boy was that masterpiece she cooked for a bit longer was perfect

and im hoping and prayin and im watchin her tonight for a bit so maybe she knew i didnt want to miss it LOL

Oh and that cat photo is just perfect too cute
default_wub.png

my non horsey hubby and our friend that stays with us keeps asking me too if this mare has foaled yet !

Oy bananas come on Precious its time now to have that COLT !!!!!!!!!!

ps joanne if it comes out looking like my full size paint stallion and he comes up missin from your pasture dont look

in oklahoma ! LOL

Talk about frustration!?!?!?! I keep looking, no foal. RATS!! And the brat had to NERVE to go poop Fri night, right after you cleaned her piles up
default_rolleyes.gif
She watched you, walked over and made a deposit -- while you were getting her food no less.

I'm wondering -- is she trying to be a round bale with legs? I mean, she eats hay all night! She's miserable, as she pushes her put on the wall (all that pressure)
default_laugh.png
Don't know if I will be excited or disapointed when I log on one AM and there is a real foal -- of course, looking hard it may be the dog again.
default_new_rofl.gif

You need to read the book to her.....................

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back Kira. I too wish I had a foal to show you and the rest. One that looked like your full sized paint horse would be incredible and well worth the wait!

Alas, I am still biting my nails and staring at the monitors.

Thanks for passing on your story of your late mare. I am clutching to all hopeful stories of late mares.

GOOD GRIEF Joanne..... I'm sure your on edge. What is that foal doing in there??? Maybe you need to start singing some encouraging songs to it to convince it to take the plunge
default_new_shocked.gif
Momma must have a really nice nursery in there for that baby to not want to come out. Maybe horses have gotten into video games like humans and never want to venture out anymore
default_wacko.png
:wacko
default_wacko.png

Just being silly
default_biggrin.png

I know this is taking it's toll on you but this foal is going to be Worth this wait !!!!!

Hang in there
default_smile.png

Where's Precious?
default_unsure.png
I checked in a couple of times and she's not in her stall. I'm sure she's out enjoying the sunshine. I was so hoping there would be a foal by her side this morning. Poor Joanne! You must be exhausted.

We'll just keep waiting and watching.
default_whistling.gif

I've been wondering where she is too. Thought maybe Joanne decided to take her for a trailer ride in the hopes of shaking things up a bit.
default_wink.png

She is in a round pen next to the barn. The Breeder Alert works from there and she can cruse around a bit and see the other newborn foals for encouragement. I hate keeping her in a stall 24/7.

Yesterday I brought her up to the front lawn to graze, but after 10 minutes she wanted to go back to her stall and was clearly agitated.

I am working in the barn so I can watch her.

She will be back in soon. I even saw her trot today! I thought that might jiggle something around!

361 day in case you are keeping track.

I am so far past color and just on LIVE FOAL now.

Sleep is at a premium. I am hoping for a daytime birth so I can be more awake.
default_new_shocked.gif

Thanks everyone for watching.

I am really depending on you giving me a heads up if you think she is about to foal. I would love to be there when the water breaks in case I need to reposition the foal.

She looks pretty ticked with the world right now. I hope things go well. Could she be waiting for the one year mark?
default_rolleyes.gif

Sending positive thoughts. She has to go soon. Prayers for a healthy baby and a easy perfect delivery!

Gosh!

If you are certain of her breeding dates, can you take her for C Section? I am worried now too, this is way too long - and is over one year now.

Have there many reported cases where mares carry their foals this long? Miniature mares that is? Isn't she a small mare?

Is there any chance she could have been bred at a later time? Hand bred, pasture bred? I check her a couple times of day and do not see where she is acting very close to foaling and not as close to foaling as the day I called and thought she would foal that day.

I had one foal last year, a maiden mare who never got a big bag, but it did get really hard about a day before she foaled. No signs of impending foaling otherwise, she was eating her dinner, stretched out like she had a cramp, laid down and foaled. Good thing I was watching her though, I had someone else watching and they left the room. She needed help as it turned out. A small girl too.

B

I hope your mare foals soon and safely. It is possible for them to carry that long because it did happen to me. I knew my dates were correct, I only hand bred, and kept 3 sets of breeding records, one on my daily calendar, one in the mare breeding book, and one on her individual record.

My mare was very experienced with quick easy deliveries, she usually carried between 323 days and 332 days. This time it was 360 days, and I could hardly believe it was happening. She pulled the 'fooling not foaling' routine on me a few times, all of the signs but break water and then just stand there and hang on a few more days. She was 32", but had a good body for breeding.

When she did foal, the foal was out quick and easy as usual, but he looked like a month old foal, he was so strong and fat and developed. He jumped up and went for the udder immediately instead of all that searching and sucking in all the wrong places, so all went very well. He was the tallest foal she ever had, he measured 22" at birth, but he matured at only 30.5", so I guess he was that tall because of the gestation period. Of course don't know for sure.She pushed him out just fine, but luck was that everything was pointing in the right direction as well.

I thought you might like to read another experience of 360 days.

The stallion she was bred to last year was sold and left the premises.

We ultrasound our horses here and take photos of the ultrasound, so we are able to go back and look at the photos and see what we saw.

Beth we had a very close moment on Friday afternoon when we thought she would go with all the classic signs.

Though she appears to be eating all the time, she is mostly shuffling the food around and mounding straw up in various corners (nesting). I think she has run out of room for much more food.

Thanks for the positive story madmax. It is ones like yours that are keeping me going!

She is yawning now.....................
default_biggrin.png

We also had a maiden mare go 360 days on us this year so have no fear. He is pictured in our Avatar. plus our very experienced Poco who ususally foals early went 334 days (very unusual for her) and She is in the process of weaning him now at 3 1/2 mths (again unusual for her) but he is already eating slop and is tall and looks very mature for his age. it has been a roller coaster ride for alot of folks this year with longer waitng and waiting and ....
default_saludando.gif

I am wishing you and Precious the best. Each morning I check, and each morning have been sadly surprised to see her either outside or still very pregnant. I no longer feel like joking about her reaching the one year mark as she is only a couple of days away from reaching it. I just keep envisioning her with a fat, happy, and healthy, foal at her side.
default_wink.png

Gee I thought a year had 352 days, not 365........oh dear!

Yikes, not yet?

Read through the LB foal count in my signature and you'll see many foals that are born this late!

Gosh!
If you are certain of her breeding dates, can you take her for C Section? I am worried now too, this is way too long - and is over one year now.

Have there many reported cases where mares carry their foals this long? Miniature mares that is? Isn't she a small mare?

Is there any chance she could have been bred at a later time? Hand bred, pasture bred? I check her a couple times of day and do not see where she is acting very close to foaling and not as close to foaling as the day I called and thought she would foal that day.

I had one foal last year, a maiden mare who never got a big bag, but it did get really hard about a day before she foaled. No signs of impending foaling otherwise, she was eating her dinner, stretched out like she had a cramp, laid down and foaled. Good thing I was watching her though, I had someone else watching and they left the room. She needed help as it turned out. A small girl too.

B

My maiden went at 372 and had a perfect, tiny filly (18"). And I'm positive on the breeding dates. Many mares are going late this year
default_wacko.png
370+ days can be very normal for some mares.

Edited to add: Someone's mare on here went 402 a few years ago!

default_saludando.gif

I just wanted to chime in ... hang in there Joanne! My stallion's dam always makes my friend wait a FULL year!

default_new_shocked.gif
your mare looks ready, very soon! Perfect Paint takes time ya know!
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back