Huybers Utopia 2014 foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weerunner

Reaction score
Gosh, time flies. It has been awhile since I've posted, but I've been lurking and reading your posts. So sorry for the sadness and loss of Summer's angel foal. Penny has been making you all crazy from what I read. You just never know what a mare has up her sleeve.

Well my first mare up is Dream. Bless her soul, here is a link to the posting I put up of her when she first arrived at my place. http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=133765&hl=dream

She had a bit of a hard time for 2 months of this pregnancy. She was having muscle spasms, sometimes so severe she would fall over. The vet had no idea what this was and had no idea what to test for. I analysed the episodes and figured out that they were always between 2 and 5 pm without exception. Someone on the forum suggested to me that she might have low blood sugar and I ran with it. So now she has a winter coat and a rain coat and she wears them religiously if there is any chance of cold, rain or snow. LOL, which means any time she is outside. (We live in Nova Scotia, Canada). I now give her a supplemental hay feeding at 12pm, then a extra grain ration at 3 when I get home from work and bring her in for the night. Also am giving Flax seed as a supplement. So far all these things are keeping her spasm free. The spasms last about 15 minutes and when they are over she goes back to eating like nothing ever happened. Baby is fine and continues to bounce around in there obliviously.

So, needless to say I am a little nervous about this one. For foaling history I know only that she had a colt and a filly before, both tall and lovely. She woudl be at day 325 on March 9th.

Dream also has another life, she is a therapy horse. SHe visits special needs young adults and just lets them love on her. She's a special little mare.

Here is a pic of my sweet little girl.

IMG_1709.JPG

If anyone sees Dream in a episode, please text me or call 1-902-220-1999. I'm Amanda

Ok so next up would be Ladybug, two weeks after Dream,

ladybug.jpg

Then comes Buffy, an appaloosa

3 months (2).jpg

Then Fly, my homegrown baby,

4 mths.jpg

And lastly, Nellie.

dapples 002.jpg

And finally the Daddy of them all, Huybers Utopia Taylor Made. Another home grown baby.

970491_10201504225227160_752168340_n.jpg

Opps, forgot the link to my camera

http://www.marewatchers.com/cam/huybersutopiaminiatures.html

Dream will be in from 3pm to 8am every night and in during the day if it is yucky outside. She's our Princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Amanda, good to see you and the girls back again! Looking forward to seeing what they produce for you this year.
default_yes.gif

Looking forward to watching your precious ladies again. It looks like it will be quite fun and we're very glad you're back!

You know I will be there
default_smile.png

You have some beautiful girls! I am guessing you are talking about my Penny ;-) I can wait to see these babies!!

Hey all, Dream is at day 312 today, very slightly puffier udder than normal, no resistance in her tail, and her belly is dropped but not in a distinct v yet.

Ladybug has begun her udder, she is at day 295. She usually foals around 320 days or so.

The other three are hanging tight. All look like babies are gravitating downwards, but not udders to speak of.

Looking forward to their continued progression! Can't wait to see those little ones!

Dream is at day 314 today, no udder except for a slight puffiness. Mind you it is -26 degree Celcius out there so cannot blame her one bit. For the AMericans out there 0 degrees is when water freezes. BRRRRR. Ridiculous, time for spring to show up real soon.

I'm in the same boat as you weerunner. day 304 almost no udder other than a little puffiness that wasn't there a month ago. I'm not even getting a lot of movement. They are keeping them tucked up inside well. Temps are finally supposed to turn around for us at the end of the week with a closer to normal temps starting to come in. Tradition holds that the second week of March is maple syrup time and it's not even close to the right temps for that yet. Maybe closer to the end of the month.

When the vet was out yesterday she said that the foal triggers the changes and the mare picks the day. Maybe the foals aren't willing to brave the cold just yet so haven't triggered the hormonal changes. lol

The first picture is her udder a few weeks ago. And the second one is today, day 314. I guess it is slightly longer and will fill eventually, I'm praying.

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

Even a slight change shows they are getting ready! VERY exciting here as well. This is going to be a busy next couple of months! YEAH!!!!

Looking good Amanda - the slight improvement shows that things are moving in the right direction, plus it would be good if she waits for those temps to rise a little!

Well day 317 and still not real udder, very slight bit more puffiness, not even something you canreally see in pictures, but I can feel it. But today her vulva is loose for the very first time and she's got the jello butt thing going on and baby has dropped down. I'm afraid she is gonna go with little or no udder. Have a warm week coming up so I'm hoping that will inspire the udder, if she doens't foal before then that is. Very nervous about this girl.

well my fingers are crossed for big boobies for your girl real soon! Or at least in time to feed a healthy lil foal
default_yes.gif

I'd give the vet a "heads up" that you're seeing progression towards foaling, but momma isn't setting a nice udder for you. But remember, the birth process itself may bring in that udder all at once! Don't be surprised if it does. Many a mare has foaled with little or no udder, and just having baby looking to nurse has brought it in completely in a few hours. So, don't worry, I'm sure all with be fine!

Well Ladybug is looking real good, she is never a concern when it comes to uddering. Dream still has no udder.
default_sad.png
I'll be contacting my vet this week just to let him know we may have an issue with her.

Here are their pics.

Dream, DAy 319

319 001.jpg

319 002.jpg

319 004.jpg

And Ladybug at day 300 who read the book,

300.JPG

10 mths.jpg

319 006.jpg

Lady Bug is looking great! That baby is already forward of center. Now if it will just line up, you'll be in business! A few good rolls should do it!

Dream looks like she'll have a little wait to move baby forward and get lined up. Hopefully she'll grow that udder quickly! (LOVE those SPOTS!)

Latest posts

Back