When is this baby coming??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations what a lovely foal
default_smile.png

Well, already I am totally in love with this little filly! She is just more and more adorable the more I see her, and I can't get enough of just watching how curious she is about everything. She also can't wait to get out and RUN! 1 day old and already wants to be in the races haha. photo 2.JPGphoto (1).JPG

I do have a problem though that I Really need some help with. Let me preface by saying Lily is quite the "sassy" girl, not laid back in any sense of the word, and her and I have had a very "roller coaster" ride relationship haha. She was very untrusting when she first came to me, and it took a lot of work to get her to where she is today with me. I spent every day with her, just giving her time to gain her trust, and I finally did after about 7-8 months! I was so glad though, especially then with the pregnancy because I wanted to make sure that we had a good bond prior to the baby so there were no issues. Well, the night that Stella was born, everything went wonderfully. I helped her deliver, pulled Stella out and opened her sack so that she could take her first breath, and it was amazing! I stayed with them for about an hour after Stella was delivered, and helped clean her off, did the umbilical cord, and all those sort of things that needed to be done in the aftermath. During all of this, Lily was completely fine, staying right next to me in the stall, and giving me full trust with Stella. I was so relieved. I went inside and let them have time to bond for the rest of the night, and returned to check on them the next morning, and that's when I realized we had a problem. Lily will now not let me Anywhere near the baby at all. She comes at me, ears pinned if I approach them, she turns on me and tries to kick at me if I come into the stall, and even when Stella tries to come to me, Lily runs between us and turns to give me a kick to get away from her. I just am at a loss what to do to make this better! I've tried just bringing Lily some of her favorite treats (raw corn on the cob and carrots) and giving her attention, but she let's me scratch her for just a second, and then wants me away. I can see in her face how scared and untrusting she is now that she is trying to protect Stella. Will this pass after a few days? Is it one of those things that I have to just be patient with? Or am I supposed to come at this with disciplinary action? I did bring her whip-stick (I used it for training her, and haven't needed it in a long time until now) but I didn't know if coming at her and popping her when she acted like that was the right thing to do around Stella? I don't want to scare her and taint her trust of me. If anyone has any ideas, I would so highly appreciate it! Thanks for everything!

Chessa, Lily & Stella

Wow she is a ripper !!

I would say let them be for a little while, its really important to let them bond over their first days together.

I know everyone on here will make sure they are there for the arrival , then will make sure they leave to let mare and foal bond.

Im a firm believer that baby steps is the only way to gain trust
default_smile.png

Best of luck and don't forget now she is safely on the ground, you owe lots of updates and pics
default_thumbup.gif

Cheers Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I know you are probably right. I think I am going to try and give Lily a bath on Saturday, and hopefully that will bring her back a little to remember that she can trust me. My son is also dying to "play" with Stella, so she needs to get over this little hiccup soon hahaha. And lots of pictures heard loud and clear! I am for sure taking a ton, so they will be displayed for the world to see! Of course I have to show off this little beauty! She's lightened up to such a pretty gray shade on her legs and underbelly, and just the end of her fuzzy little muzzle now that she has had time to fully dry and get fluffy! My other foals got a little darker when they shed their "fluffy foal coat" (full size foals, she is my first mini I think I mentioned, hence my cluelessness! haha) so hopefully Stella will keep these little highlights. She is such a little black beauty though regardless of what shade of darkness she decides to keep!
default_hypocrite.gif
default_wub.png

Just work slowly with her over the next few days. Some momma's are REALLY protective of their little ones -- whether they are usually trusting or not, so her feelings for you are just being over-ridden by her natural fear to protect her baby. It will pass, just keep loving on her and talking calmly to her. I'm sure she'll come around. Usually after the first few days/week, the "newness" wears off, and she'll be happy to "introduce" her baby to you, and be more her old self.

Can't wait to see more fluffy, dry pictures of her!!

Back