What should I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cams sound like a great idea -- especially if no one will be home to watch her. And the strips are wonderful for predicting in most cases.

All sounds like a plan.

I ordered the strips already; got an email stating they were shipped so hopefully I'll get a tracking number soon.
default_smile.png

You can get a cam for less than a hundred bucks, as long as you can create a line of site from the cam to the receiver. I think some folks have gotten theirs from Walmart, we got ours from Ebay. Good luck and my fingers are crossed for you!

Well Home depot doesnt have them. I know walmart doesnt either. Going to try kokomo. If i cant find a place that has them there I go back to my original plan & just come home for lunch and walk to the barn to check her at night. :/

Called Lowes & Menards both have them in stock....Going to kokomo tomorrow so hopefully *crosses fingers* I'll find a cam that'll work great for what I want. :D

That's awesome progress in that short of time! My mare has taken almost 2 mos to get where she's at and she's still not that big! Her 1st day of udder growth was Mar. 6th...

I was surprised to see that progress yesterday. I knew she had more udder development though when I was walking towards the pen and she had her rear end towards the fence, she flicked her tail and it was obvious she had more of an udder. I am getting excited to see her little one....I think I would be more impatient about this foal if I didn't have so much going on to keep me busy. haha

She's getting the 12x12 stall. I worked in there yesterday, getting it ready for her.
default_smile.png
Should have it done today. Hopefully get the cam today and get that set up.

Checked her this morning, all is well.
default_smile.png
Looks the same as yesterday when I snapped the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news, I am looking forward to more pics in the morning
default_smile.png

Sugar is getting more clingy. Normally she is a take it or leave it when it comes to attention. Today she was following us around the pen. Lol

Yes they often get mood swings which is a sign that she is getting close.
default_smile.png

I would be very watchful - years ago I had a mare who became 'over friendly' approx 10 days before all the signs and her dates said that she was due, and she foaled that night inbetween my hourly checks, foal didn't make it out of the bag! Never forgiven myself for not being there and changed from then on to doing 20 minute checks night and day on any mare who passed the 300 day mark, stepping it up to staying right beside them overnight and continuing the 20 minute checks throughout the day. I would not be leaving your little girl unless you have someone else watching her - it is not that easy to tell the last minute foaling signs even to us oldies who have been breeding for years - look how Mary's mare Toffee mentioned earlier here, nearly caught her out, and she had a foaling alarm on Toffee as well as cameras!!

So be safe and stay close - she could foal from anytime on now!!
default_yes.gif

Good luck!!

Her stall door is in perfect view of my mom's bed room window. It's awesome. I can just look out the window and check on her.
default_smile.png
She's still the same.

No changes in udder/belly. Right now I have her in the round pen so she can get some exercise.

Still haven't received the maybe baby test strips. She is close to approx. 315 days

Just went out and got more photos...The udder photo is the only one that I didn't take today, it was taken yesterday.

247003_10201229555806162_860988712_n.jpg

295356_10201229558006217_409842488_n.jpg

945320_10201229560606282_980957722_n.jpg

Is she suppose to be a darker or 'deeper' red color? Of course if mares are anything like goats, that don't always mean anything. LOL I gave up looking at the vulva on the goats...I go by ligaments and discharge....of course I induce goats so I know when they are going to kid...just have to watch them to know how close they are...anyways, back on topic of the mare...
default_smile.png

942949_10201229562246323_2103495741_n.jpg

249118_10201229563206347_1985309799_n.jpg

It looks like she will still elongate a bit more, and baby is not totally lined up yet, so she has some time to go. Since she has started an udder, I would expect her to do some more filling before foaling. So, I think it's great you can watch her carefully, and we'll just have to wait and watch!

Yes I agree with Diane, a few more things to get in order and then she will be good to go. Next time you take an udder shot can you try from in between her back legs? this way is easier to notice any swelling
default_thumbup.gif
Thanks

Best I could do....I am taking pics with my phone, and I really love that phone and don't want to lose it to her knocking it out of my hand and breaking it...haha

261886_10201236416217668_963709330_n.jpg

Looking good!!! Progress is being made -- and that's all we can ask for at this point! Just wonderful!

Latest posts

Back