What should I do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spindleberry

Reaction score
My mare was in heat June 19th and was with the stud for about a week prior to that, during that week and about a week afterwards. So they were pastured together for about 3 weeks. So this would make her approx 9 months pregnant (if she took; by the looks of her, she looks pregnant; if not, then she has one heck of a hay belly!) I didn't get her confirmed pregnant because my vet doesn't do ultrasounds on minis and I have talked to people around here who have not had good luck w/ the wee foal so I decided not to spend the money on it if it wasn't accurate for them.

So I have never had a horse foal before; nor have I been around for any of the relation's horse's foaling. So in case she is pregnant, what should I have on hand? What do I need to watch for? And what do I need to do? I am going to be making her a stall in the goat shelter (The shelter is a 12x32 so I'll have room to make her a stall in the corner. What size do I need to make it?

Advice would be appreciated.

Right now I have her in a pen w/ a run in shelter and with two goats. Here's a pic of her that I took a few days ago.

Thanks in advance!
default_smile.png

420145_10200949554966316_161609393_n.jpg

Wow, she looks preggo to me.

I would ask advise to the wonderful group of ladies in the "Nutty Nursury" They are pro's!!!
default_smile.png

Good Luck!

Yes please come and join us on the Mare and Foal Forum (or the Nutty Nursery as everyone calls it!). You will find answers to any of your questions and plenty of help with everything you need to know for the health and safety of your pretty girl. We are a friendly lot so take the plunge and come on over!
default_yes.gif

Welcome
default_smile.png
your little girl looks lovely, and looks preggo to me. very exciting times!

if she is 9 months along you should start to feel foal movement in the next few weeks... (best feeling ever!) feel while she is eating/ drinking (most active baby times ) or just after she has had a run feel just in front of her udder (if she will let you)

or on her flanks just before the hip, at the stage you may only feel slight flutterings, but as baby grows she/he will become more active and the fun begins!

stall size, I don't know what other people have but my stalls are 2.4x2.4 a bit bigger then most of the mini stalls I have seen but we made it for my stock horse and is big enough that my mare and her yearling gelding both go in there at night with plenty of room
default_smile.png

the other girls will have more advice on what size is appropriate and she gets closer make sure you have lots of lovely bedding whether shavings/ straw etc (straw is best when they are imminent as there is less dust and less chance of baby getting infections)

there is a post on the main page I think on what you should have in your foaling Kit. Hey Diane, maybe we should have a pinned post up the top with peoples foaling kits... what they have, what they would suggest etc... is that a good idea?

you still have a bit of time to go, so no need to stress, just enjoy your beautiful pregnant mini
default_smile.png

p.s what food have you got her on at present? as she nears her last trimester she will require different things to support the growing baby.

good luck and keep us posted
default_smile.png

we LOVE any piccies here.

Hello and Welcome
default_smile.png
she sure looks like she has something cooking
default_thumbup.gif
Don't panic as you have come to the right place and there is plenty of time to get prepared.

First things first, is she up to date with vaccinations and worming? Also what are you feeding her?

She is such a pretty little girl and I can't wait to see more pics.

Vaccinations/Worming- Yep. Up to date.
default_smile.png

RIght now she's getting a mix of grass/alfalfa hay. Twice a day but there's enough that even between the 3 of them they have scraps left over. The only kind of grain I have available is KENT products (And the feed that Rural King carries but I've been told they are cruddy feeds). I had thought about getting a bag of the mare and foal feed that KENT has....would that be a good choice or do I need something else?

Over all though, she's in good condition not fat or skinny.
default_smile.png

When should I start stalling her? I definitely don't want to have her foaling where she's at...it's too muddy; the only part that isn't muddy is the shelter although at the moment it's dried out some between the wind and finally not having much rain/ice. My plan is to build her a stall in the goat barn and move the goat's water trough so I can put her out in the big pen during the day(I don't want her and the does together) when I am home so she can get out and get some exercise. I am assuming exercise is just as important in mares as it is in goats? The less exercise my very pregnant goats get the more kidding problems we have, the more exercise they have, the less kidding problems we have.

Any advice would be appreciated.

**Think blue** I want a colt. I prefer geldings over mares/studs. lol BUT as long as Sugar and the baby are healthy, I'll take whatever she has.
default_smile.png

Last year she had a colt, however, sadly though she aborted at about 4 months along.
default_sad.png

All sounds just perfect to me
default_yes.gif
If she is in good condition Diane can advice you on some loose minerals/vits to add for now without having to start her on grain just yet. You still have plenty of time before stalling her but you could start by putting some hay in there for her to go freely in at her wish, also grooming/scratching whilst feeding the occasional apple or treat will help her learn that it is a good place.
default_yes.gif

Yes you are right, the more exercise the better and the higher the chance that she will roll foal into place and have an easier birth.

In case you hadn't noticed I am thinking colt
default_whistling.gif

Two great books to read are Blessed Are The Broodmares and Blessed Are The Foals. I had been breeding for years when I read them and I sure learned a lot.

she is a cutie for sure. Welcome to the nursery. The aunties here are pretty awsome! I am learning as I go too. They will help you thru also.

It sounds as though Sugar is going to be very well cared for during this run up to her foaling - you are getting some great plans made for her! Just keep a good eye on her weight from now on, I always think that it never hurts for a mare to be a little overweight as pregnancy progresses as the actual foaling can pull them down somewhat and you are then fighting a battle to get the weight put back on to a mare who is also feeding a baby. A mare and foal feed slowly introduced over the next few weeks is a good idea, but also get a balancer or a mineral and vitamin supplement as soon as possible just to be sure she is getting all she needs for herself and her coming baby.

Your goat barn sounds the perfect place to make a foal stall for her. If you could give her a space at the far end this would also leave you the other space free to offer to her and the foal to get a little 'walkies' should the weather be bad on some of the early days. I would make her pen 12x12 if possible, the bigger the better - it gives plenty of room for you to be in with her during foaling (plus anyone else to assist you), there is nothing worse than trying to help foal down a mare in a squashed/small space! And yes, exercise is of the utmost importance - all day once the mare is stalled overnight - I would aim to stall Sugar once you notice her starting to get an udder, no need to separate her from her goat pals yet, but as Renee said, getting her used to and relaxed in the barn before you need to close her in, is a great idea.

So glad to have you with us, please keep us updated with news and pics (maybe some pics of your goats to - we love ALL pictures!) and dont forget to keep the questions coming, however silly they may seem, we are all here to help each other at this very exciting time.
default_yes.gif

Here are a couple more photos I took today.
default_smile.png

I finally felt the baby kick!! Makes me excited!!

Is it routine to worm the mare the day she foals? Just wondering since we do that with the goats.

551866_10200988619862914_1029736428_n.jpg

295674_10200988602782487_1460959323_n.jpg

Thanks for the cute pics
default_smile.png
Yes most of us give Ivermectin to the mare within 12 hours of the birth.
default_thumbup.gif

Looks like mine she's day 354 let's hope yours go before that
default_smile.png
I also do ivermectin with in 12 hours of foaling......and not to worry she's looking good...........

Latest posts

Back