What should I do with Josie and what is happening

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Renee, I just read it too LOL WOW! (oops I used an exclamation mark too LOL oh dear hehe) they have given you good information but with an attitude that doesn't help
default_sad.png
especially for a first time breeder like yourself wow, now wonder you were stressed! so glad you found us here!

I am only knew into the breeding world to! my first foal finn in my avatar is 6 months old and I bought my mare pregnant and the owner had NO idea when she was in foal!! I bought her in march and the vet thought she had 6 weeks to go LOL so I get excited and not knowing anything about breeding go searching just like you have done luckily I found LB (lil beginnings) straight away and the lovely ladies and gents helped me HEAPS! my mare finally foaled in October! can you guess? I was SOOO Crazy by that time LOL but my mare Suzie handled it all with ease of course! lol

I'm sure your lovely girl will be just fine
default_smile.png
personally I think she very well might wait out to 330 days... I rememer Suzie took aout 5 weeks to bag up, and most mares do this, my other mini though is the exception and takes only 2 weeks to bag up, every mare is different but most mares will generally follow some sort of pattern as with previous foalings.

GOOD LUCK! please keep us updated so excited for your little foal! YAY

Ok sounds good and yeah thank you again for being so nice! The wait is horrible but I done want the baby to be underdone! Ha ha. I will keep watching her closely!

Ok great, because I probably won't notice the little changes that you might! I have never seen a mini give birth before so I am completely new to this!

I checked on her this morning again, and her bag seems a little more full. Everytime my mom looks at her, she is like, WOW she is fat! It is really funny.
default_smile.png
She is such a nice mini, so I am hoping her foal keeps that!

That's good to she's been doing some more shopping.
default_yes.gif
I hope she'll stay nice like the mare also. ashe seems and looks like a lovely mare. I have only ever met one mini with a very bad temperament. I know like everyone they can have their days, but this one was moody 24/7. lol

That's good to she's been doing some more shopping.
default_yes.gif
I hope she'll stay nice like the mare also. ashe seems and looks like a lovely mare. I have only ever met one mini with a very bad temperament. I know like everyone they can have their days, but this one was moody 24/7. lol
Oh! Ha ha!!! I know, my mom had a nice mare that turned into the devil after she had her foal! It was so bad, she couldn't touch either of them and she finally sold her to a guy, and when he came to pick her up, she bit him on the side. He just used her for a broodmare, but you couldn't touch her or her foals!

Photos that would help us are:

side view of her tummy taken from down at her level (get on your knees)
default_smile.png

udder from under her tummy

udder from behind (get down on your knees again and lift her tail) careful of you teeth if she kicks up a fuss
default_new_rofl.gif

a tummy shot from behind (make sure she is standing straight)

her hooha

Are we asking too much yet
default_rolleyes.gif

lol I am the same atotton from the horse forum too, I stopped using that forum, due to the attitudes. You may need a hockey helmet with a full facemask to wear when taking the pictures.
default_new_rofl.gif
Can't wait to see more pictures.
default_whistling.gif

I'm so glad you finally came over here Kay.

I know Kay is very young and in school. However, I do find it a bit 'off', that on the advice of several on the other forum and who are also members here, you would come here and then run down those who tried to help you daily, with excellent advice and during over 430 posts. Nobody became upset with you, until many (myself included) told you to watch the mare constantly, but you told us, that since mares foal when nobody is around, so what's the point? Then something about your alarm not going off in the morning and you said "Well if she's had it, I hope it's ok." or something like that. But you hadn't even been out to see her, before writing a post.

I do not want anyone here, to think that people were just snarky on the other forum. Many well known horse breeders over there, gave Kay every bit of help they could. Kay didn't always wish to take the suggestions.

It was I, who suggested quite a while ago, that Kay join this forum. I did not think though, that she would come here and run down those who had spent time trying to help her on another forum. I'm not happy at all, about this.

We all wanted Kay's mare to foal well and produce a healthy baby. It seems now, that we were darned for doing so.

Lizzie

I am going to say straight out that yes I did get a lot of good information from the other forum, but I came to this forum for a fresh start! Please do not ruin that for me! Yes the one time my alarm did not go off for some reason but I posted that as soon as I woke up and realized it did not go off. There were some very rude people on there and everyone on this forum has been 10 times more helpful and nice to me! I am not going to say names but there was one person that made me a little upset and I didn't feel that I should have to deal with it. Also, when someone recommended me here, I thought they meant the mini horse section on horse forum! If you are going to track me down from the other forum, I will just go off of forums all together. All I want is some good advise and so far everyone on here has done that and I am way happier here! Please don't ruin it for me here too! I don't want any arguments, just some good advise and some fun conversations on mini horses!

lol I am the same atotton from the horse forum too, I stopped using that forum, due to the attitudes. You may need a hockey helmet with a full facemask to wear when taking the pictures.
default_new_rofl.gif
Can't wait to see more pictures.
default_whistling.gif
Ha ha well so far she has been good with me taking pictures of her! But yeah I will still be careful! I will post pictures In about an hour! Please don't get a bad impression from what Lizzie said! I am a great person that loves horses and like atotton said, the people at te other forums just couldn't handle opinions

Please don't underestimate me! I am a knowledgeable mature young adult who needs some advise from people without attitudes! I hope you all understand what I am trying to say
default_smile.png

To Lizzie and everyone else

We DO NOT like or need attitude here! Everyone is welcome and we DO NOT judge.

I will not say more and I DO NOT want to hear anymore about it.

Kay you are very welcome here and I apologise if you have been upset.

Hi, so sorry I'm late in saying WECOME!!

You have a lovely mare there and she is going to have a gorgeous baby before too long!! Thanks for the pictures, please keep them coming so that we can help spot the final signs (if we can) for you as she gets close to foaling.

Being the practical one (and the bossy one so they tell me!) on here I would like to add a few pointers/ideas if you dont mind? Do you allow her plenty of outside time - most important for expectant Mommas to get plenty of exercise on the run up to foaling. Have you got her foaling stall ready for her, again as much space as you can give her, mainly so that if the weather is bad after the foal is born, it will have room to take some 'exercise' round inside, but also because if you need to help at the delivery, you will have room to move around a mare that is flat out on the floor. As to the floor, lots of bedding to make it comfortable for Momma to lay down, either straw or hay (to get a deep bed a lot of folks bed up thickly with shavings and then put straw or hay on top - must admit that I use only straw, loads of it!) It is not good to foal down on shavings or similar as the small bits/dust can get into the foals eyes and/or sucked into its lungs. Then you need to check the walls and door for any small gaps - these mini foals are very small and what might be safe for a full sized foal will not work for a mini - they will find the smallest gap to get a head or foot trapped if it is possible. So have a good check round!

What are you feeding your sweet girl and does she have grass available? Regarding her actual feed, If you haven't already sorted it, she needs to be on a special mare and foal feed, not just for her but also for the foal. Babies soon pop their noses into Mommas feed bowl, so it is important to have the right food available as not all adult mini food is good for a baby. But remember to make any changes to your feed slowly over several days.

When did you last worm your girl? Most of us re-worm our mares approx 30 days before their due date, but I think you are a little late for that. But you can worm her with an Ivermectin wormer within 12 hours of her foaling - some say this also helps to avoid the foal getting the scours/runs when the mare has her foaling heat, so could be helpful in that department. Also a good idea to ask your vet for some Banamine (sp?) paste incase your girl needs a little pain relief after she foals.

It is really important that you are with her when she has her baby, first to check early on to see if you have two feet and a little nose coming ok, because if not you need to put a fast call into your vet as speed is of the essence. Also you will be able to help bring your new little one into the world. Mini foals often dont manage to break out of the bag that they are born in and if you are not there to break it free from its head, I'm afraid it will drown and die - another very important reason to be right by her side when she gives birth!

I'm sure you know most of what I have posted here, but on the internet you never know how experienced a new forum member is, so I just like to cover all bases. I'm sure everything will be fine for your sweet girl and very soon you will be welcoming a new little one into your life!
default_thumbup.gif

She is outside in our roundpen by herself when I am home and she is in a 10x10 ft stall when I am gone and at night. The stall is completely enclosed and almost brand new! I can post pictures of it later. She is on Neutrena mare and foal feed twice a day. The stall is filled with hay and te water bucket is raised up above the ground so the foal can't drown in it. Her foaling kit is ready, now I just need more advise on when she will foal an what to do.

She also gets free run of our barn when I am in there (with all of the stall doors shut except hers) and if the weather is bad. She is spoiled and babied here, her baby will be also. I don't know if I mentioned but the baby's name will be Del Mar's Magic Moon (Magic). Our place is called "The Stables of Dreamin' Del Mar, so that's why the baby's name starts with del mars!

I wormed her in January or February but only because we had our pasture checked and we are totally free of worms. The vet said that is a rare occurrence, we have not used anything artificial on our pastures just horses. Ha ha

Kay can you take a photo of her udder tomorrow morning when you give her breakfast ? We will see how much progress she is making.
default_smile.png

Kay can you take a photo of her udder tomorrow morning when you give her breakfast ? We will see how much progress she is making.
default_smile.png
It would be kind of hard to compare to the last picture though, because the last picture I posted was took in the afternoon-night. I have a picture I just took I will post in a few minutes!

Latest posts

Back